Any bourbon fans out there?

tidefanbeezer

All-American
Sep 25, 2006
Atlanta, GA
I've recently been sucked in to the world of bourbon. And given some of the stuff I've read, lots of other folks have as well.

Just curious to know if there are any bourbon lovers here and what are some of your favorites.

Of the ones I've had, my absolute favorites are:
  • Col. EH Taylor (Single barrel or small batch)
  • Eagle Rare
  • WL Weller
  • Blantons

I really enjoy these too:
  • Angel's Envy
  • Buffalo Trace
  • Jefferson Groth Cask
  • Willet Pot Still
  • Basil Hayden

PacadermaTideUs

All-American
Dec 10, 2009
Navarre, FL
This may interest you: Link

For my everyday mixing bourbon, I enjoy Jim Beam Devil's Cut. For sipping neat, Beam Black. Haven't tried any of those you've mentioned, but I have to say that I'm likely not nearly the connoisseur that you seem to be.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
i do enjoy bourbon when it is offered, but i tend to keep scotch at home. about the only time i drink liquor anymore is during the winter, i will occasionally have a taste, and sometimes when i'm traveling, ill have a nip. i pretty much stick to beer these days, and this past summer, a new beer growler/craft beer store opened up two doors down from my office.

beer girl

and my friend is opening a new brewery around the corner

arches brewing

i have also tried a few of the "craft" whiskies and found some of them to be pretty good.

2003TIDE

Hall of Fame
Jul 10, 2007
ATL
We have a pretty good bourbon thread on the G&C forum. To the point of the chart above, research what you are drinking there are a lot of overpriced "brands" out there that don't even manufacture. There are only a handful of makers in the US. The rest is sourced form the same few recipes @ MGP in Indiana. There was one bottle that I saw for $50 that didn't even have the word straight on the label. A big no no for me.

I too like WL Weller 12. Also a fan of Four Rose Small batch and Single Barrel. I think the yellow label is better than Buffalo Trace too.

http://www.tidefans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=189795

Last edited:

tidefanbeezer

All-American
Sep 25, 2006
Atlanta, GA
This may interest you: Link

For my everyday mixing bourbon, I enjoy Jim Beam Devil's Cut. For sipping neat, Beam Black. Haven't tried any of those you've mentioned, but I have to say that I'm likely not nearly the connoisseur that you seem to be.
I actually read this article a while ago and I keep this image handy at all times.

ccc2259

All-American
Oct 29, 2010
Lower Alabama
I'm no connoisseur, but a friend gave me a bottle of Jefferson's Reserve Small Batch bourbon for Christmas last year. I now keep a bottle of this with me at all times. Pretty good stuff to me.

jabcmb

All-American
Feb 1, 2006
Birmingham, AL
Question: After it has been bottled, the whiskey doesn't change does it? Assuming the seal is good, the taste or chemistry doesn't change over time? I've got an old bottle of four roses, in the box, that I keep saying I'll open when Bama wins the next NC, but I never do.

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
Question: After it has been bottled, the whiskey doesn't change does it? Assuming the seal is good, the taste or chemistry doesn't change over time? I've got an old bottle of four roses, in the box, that I keep saying I'll open when Bama wins the next NC, but I never do.
It shouldn't. It gets its flavor from the barrel. Once it's bottled, it's isolated in a highly alcoholic, therefore sterile, environment.

The reason other things like wine and craft beer age is because you still have something alive in there consuming the sugars. If you ever pour a Chimay, which is my gameday beer, you'll notice that there's yeast in there at the tail end of the pour.

Some sour beers that I drink, Lindeman's Gueuze Cuvée Rene for example, have a ton of fluffy white floc in the bottle. I have actually decanted a bottle of it before enjoying in the past.

Last edited:

2003TIDE

Hall of Fame
Jul 10, 2007
ATL
Correct. As long as you don't leave it open so the alcohol evaporates out, it won't age. Which is why you shouldn't allow a bottle to breathe like you would a bottle of red wine. It would just turn to colored water if left open long enough.

I'm curious how old? Four Roses is a brand that has been recently resurrected. I don't think they made straight bourbon for 30-40 yrs.

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.