Link: Why OJ Howard is Playing Better Than You May Think

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Link

O.J. Howard's statistics won't blow you away.

He has a modest 13 catches for 183 yards and no touchdowns through five games this season. In his last two games, he's had a combined two catches for eight yards.

Howard's impact goes far beyond catches and statistics, though.

In fact, the non-receiving work has been his best this year for Alabama. It's a big reason he is the second-best tight end in the country, according to Pro Football Focus' grading system. He has a +9.1 run block grade that is exceptional for a tight end that isn't on the field solely to block. Pro Football Focus called him the best "dual-threat tight end in the nation."

"He's a great run blocker, one of the two or three best run blockers in college," said Matt Miller, the lead NFL Draft writer for Bleacher Report.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Frankly, I'm puzzled a bit. In his presser after the game, Coach talked about putting a backup OL in for OJ when it's an obvious running situation. "Improved blocking" doesn't equate to the 2nd best TE in the country. I've always thought of him as primarily a receiver...

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
All I know is that he is one heck of a secret weapon. I am sure there are some plays down the road with him penciled in as the primary receiver designed to catch the opponent flat footed. It could be this weekend, against TAMU next week or the corndogs but as soon as the coaches see what they like during a tight game - BAM! There he goes...

Nolan

Hall of Fame
Jul 4, 2006
Oahu
I'm glad this thread popped up, because I was wondering the other day about his production. CLK can scheme with the best of them, and get his playmakers the ball. So it confuses me a little that this isn't happening with OJH.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I'm glad this thread popped up, because I was wondering the other day about his production. CLK can scheme with the best of them, and get his playmakers the ball. So it confuses me a little that this isn't happening with OJH.
True. He's a terrible mismatch for any normal-sized CB...

tidefanbeezer

All-American
Sep 25, 2006
Atlanta, GA
Frankly, I'm puzzled a bit. In his presser after the game, Coach talked about putting a backup OL in for OJ when it's an obvious running situation. "Improved blocking" doesn't equate to the 2nd best TE in the country. I've always thought of him as primarily a receiver...
It all depends on what he improved from and how he compares to other TEs across the country. I think the "second best" piece includes his pass catching ability, which is pretty dang good.

As far as improvement, when you didn't block much at all last year, any blocking you do this year will be considered "improved". ;)

Tiderollin32

All-SEC
Mar 12, 2012
I feel like OJ is going to be one of those players that end up playing better in the NFL than they did in college. He'll get great coaching once he's there and he'll be utilized more based on his athletic abilities rather than the scheme he's in.

fundytide

1st Team
Oct 22, 1999
Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
If his blocking really is that much improved this year, this weekend might be his breakout game. With the size of the Hogs' DEs, Bama's run game will need good blocking at TE and Arkansas is small in the secondary so he would really be a mismatch with the ball in his hands in space.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Saban should try to wrestle Mike Denbrock away from Notre Dame. Awesome TE & OL coach.

uafan4life

Hall of Fame
Mar 30, 2001
Florence, AL
I think the operative word there is "obvious" - in that the offense is going to run the ball, the defense knows that the offense is going to run it, and the offense knows that the defense knows it.

If an outside rusher doesn't have to stay a little honest, honoring Howard's receiving ability, then Howard's length and speed become a liability as opposed to a strength.

Howard's blocking prowess would be best displayed when he's able to get a step on the potential rusher, who is waiting to see if his responsibility on the play is in pass coverage or a run fit, and can use his quickness to get an angular advantage to leverage his block - as opposed to just lining up head-on and trying to man-handle the defender.

fundytide

1st Team
Oct 22, 1999
Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Howard's blocking prowess would be best displayed when he's able to get a step on the potential rusher, who is waiting to see if his responsibility on the play is in pass coverage or a run fit, and can use his quickness to get an angular advantage to leverage his block - as opposed to just lining up head-on and trying to man-handle the defender.
Good point. Greene is a better fit for the latter.

InsaneMustang

1st Team
Jul 30, 2001
I think this may be a card we're keeping up or sleeve for right now. I don't know why we haven't shown it yet, or when we will, but I think it's in the playing hand.

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006
I think this may be a card we're keeping up or sleeve for right now. I don't know why we haven't shown it yet, or when we will, but I think it's in the playing hand.
I dont think this is a card we have been holding back. I think the inconsistency of the OL through the first 4 games of the season probably required the TE to stay in and provide pass blocking support. Coach did mention a couple of games ago about having to keep some extra people in to protect the QB. Now, if we continue to see the OL improve their consistency I think we do see more TE focused passes.

Nolan

Hall of Fame
Jul 4, 2006
Oahu
I say bring in Ball, whomever, to block and split OJH out wide - consistently. Then let's see what he can do.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.