GA News: OnlineAthens - Bulldogs still trying to reach 'high standards' with pass rush

TideFans Reporter

Click for Real-Time Bama News
Sep 21, 2006
From OnlineAthens.com
October 8th, 2015 09:45 PM

Georgia, at first glance, would seem to have some of the most talented pass rushers in the Southeastern Conference.
Jordan Jenkins and Leonard Floyd are projected as possible early-round NFL draft picks next season. Lorenzo Carter looked ready to take the next step after ringing up four and a half sacks as a freshman last season, all in the final eight games.
Yet the Bulldogs enter Saturday’s game at Tennessee with just two sacks in the last three games, and none in its most recent game, a 38-10 loss to Alabama.
“We didn’t do a good job of affecting the quarterback,” defensive coordinator Jeremy Pruitt said after that game. “We’ve got to do a little better job there.”
Coach Mark Richt didn’t seem too concerned since Alabama relied on play-action passes and didn’t have many third-and-longs.
“That’s a lot of times when you can pin your ears back a lot of times and let those guys do their things,” Richt said.
Alabama only passed the ball 16 times in the rainy conditions, but Jake Coker completed 11 of those passes for 190 yards and a touchdown.
“We made a couple of big plays in the passing game, explosive plays,” Crimson Tide coach Nick Saban said. “Most of them were maximum protection, not a lot of dropbacks. I think we had like four dropback passes in the whole game. That was kind of the plan because we had a lot of respect for their pass rush.”
Georgia is tied for 10th in the SEC in sacks with eight. Not exactly what it expected.
“Of course not because we have high standards,” nose guard Chris Mayes said. “We definitely think we can have more sacks. We still try to reach our goal.”
Floyd, who had six sacks last season, hasn’t been coming off the edge as much because he’s manned a starting inside linebacker spot.
The fourth-year junior outside linebacker has 27 tackles and two sacks, but just seven tackles and no sacks the past two games.
Gary Danielson, the CBS lead analyst who is calling Saturday’s game, thinks Floyd’s play will be a key factor against Tennessee.
“I look for Leonard Floyd to become more of a part of this football game,” Danielson said appearing on the “Bulldog Bytes” podcast. “I think he’s just too good of a player to be out in space and I just want to see more of an impact. Jordan Jenkins is doing it but I think they need a little bit more from Floyd on defense.”
Jenkins, who had five sacks last season, had a monster game at Vanderbilt on Sept. 12 with 11 tackles, five and a half tackles for loss and a pair of sacks. He has a team-leading three sacks, none the last three games, but had six tackles, including one for loss against Alabama and was named a team captain for Saturday.
“From the outside looking in, people see that you’re not getting pass (rush),” Jenkins said of the outside linebackers. “Different game plans we’re not going to be rushing off the edge at times. Sometimes we have to give up ourselves … sometimes we’re setting the pick for somebody else to go through. I don’t feel like it’s a problem or issue for us. I feel like we can definitely get to the quarterback.”
Georgia’s defense has fared relatively well this season — with or without getting to the quarterback. The Bulldogs are fourth in the SEC in total defense and tied for fifth in scoring defense.
While both Georgia’s and Tennessee’s strength on offense is the running game, Danielson said he thinks the game would be decided on which quarterback throws the ball more efficiently.
Tennessee quarterback Josh Dobbs is a run threat but was sacked three times by Oklahoma and three times by Florida.
Carter, the former five-star recruit from Norcross, has had a slow start this season. He was relegated to second-team in the preseason for practice habits and has 11 tackles and one quarterback pressure without a sack or tackle for loss.
“I know his athleticism, I know what he can do,” Jenkins said. “I’m pretty sure the coaches know what he can do.”

...READ MORE HERE...

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.