News Article: What Did Win Over Georgia Show About Alabama's Long-Term Future?

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Click

This should make every Alabama fan excited for the remaining games and next season.

The commonality between the turning point and exclamation point during Alabama's statement win over Georgia last Saturday?

Both were provided by freshmen — a blocked punt and recovery for a touchdown by cornerback Minkah Fitzpatrick that gave the Tide a 17-3 lead late in the second quarter and an interception by safety Ronnie Harrison on the Bulldogs' last offensive play.

The win showed Alabama is one of the top teams in the country, a 38-10 dismantling of then-No. 8 Georgia in Athens.

Something else stuck out as well at several different point throughout the game: The Tide have some really good young players, pieces like Fitzpatrick, Harrison and freshman wide receiver Calvin Ridley that should help Alabama remain a legitimate national title contender for multiple years beyond this season.

There was an article posted on SB Nation in late September after the Tide lost to Ole Miss. The headline was a question: "Is this the end of Alabama's dynasty?"

Not yet. That was clear this past Saturday.

dvldog

Hall of Fame
Sep 20, 2005
Virginia
It's week to week in the SEC as it almost always is but we may not even be playing our best ball yet on either side of the ball. If we can limit mistakes, this will be a scary good team before the end of the season.

uafanataum

All-American
Oct 18, 2014
So we have a lot of young talented players in the defense and the wr and rb position, where do you expect a drop off at on this team after the draft? Do you think we have enough young talent on all positions to make a 2009-2012?

Last edited:

dvldog

Hall of Fame
Sep 20, 2005
Virginia
Never count us out, or take us as a given.
True! Re: future. Like always we will lose some key contributors here and there but there are lots of underclassmen contributing this year so we should have a good mix of experience across the board. Will need a RB to step up and the QB to settle in quickly on O. On D, the line might not be quite as good but still good, will need a LB leader to step up but I think someone will. The CB play should get even better. All in all, I think we can make a run again but it will be week to week as always.

Bamaboda1

Suspended
Sep 1, 2006
Kathleen, GA
I will say, without reservation or hesitation, that as long as Nick Saban is at the helm, we will be in the hunt. Period. The SEC, especially the SEC West, has essentially reached parity among 13 teams. Alabama is still ahead by a step or two, with Florida moving up quickly under Mac. That means all SEC teams are subject to dropping one at any time (Bama included; the edge is that thin.) One step separation on a downfield play makes the difference, and we have the one step lead. We will no longer win them all, but we will always have the advantage with CNS and his staff. The national media will use this against the SEC, as we beat each other up, but SEC fans know the truth. We are SEC people, and our primary goals are defeating SEC teams...the best in the nation. Look at the resumes of the SEC head coaches and you will see where the nucleus of college football resides. I love and well remember Coach Bryant as I was in school in 1959/60, but Coach Saban is the best ever! Roll Tide.

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
So we have a lot of young talented players in the defense and the wr and rb position, where do you expect a drop off at on this team after the draft? Do you think we have enough young talent on all positions to make a 2009-2012?
without a question, DL. Lake, Reed, and Pettway are all Seniors we will miss, and it's highly likely A robinson will also leave. It's also possible we lose J Allen. That's a majority of our DL rotation right now. They guys behind them all have potential, but it's hard to imagine they'll all progress to the level of the ones we are losing.

Also, potentially ILB. Foster and Hamilton are both playing well in rotation, but neither is now what Ragland was last year so they would have to develop significantly to step into those shoes.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
without a question, DL. Lake, Reed, and Pettway are all Seniors we will miss, and it's highly likely A robinson will also leave. It's also possible we lose J Allen. That's a majority of our DL rotation right now. They guys behind them all have potential, but it's hard to imagine they'll all progress to the level of the ones we are losing.

Also, potentially ILB. Foster and Hamilton are both playing well in rotation, but neither is now what Ragland was last year so they would have to develop significantly to step into those shoes.
I agree with you on DL and I think you can pretty much count on Robinson and Allen going to the NFL. We will not be as good or experienced on the DL as we are this year but we should be better on the back end.

To answer the OP's question, it showed Bama is the most talented team and when we play good football we can dominate just about anybody. It is the SEC and you have to mentally and physically bring it every week. I don't doubt the physical part of it but the mental part can bite even the best of teams. I see us winning out.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
True answer?

Nobody knows.

It amuses me how the pundits get away with this.

Alabama loses to Ole Miss. "Wow, Ole Miss is a truly awesome team and the dynasty is over."
"Georgia is awesome and gonna kill Alabama." (Tide kills Georgia). "Wow, Alabama is awesome."

ALL based upon the ASSUMPTION that pundits know anything about the subject they're talking about. It is a perpetual circular argument.

The pundit gets away with over-rating both Georgia AND Ole Miss and also under-rating Alabama - merely by shifting attention to Alabama. The pundit is wrong about all of his opinions and yet gets to boast about his foresight - since he's now said both A) Tide is overrated; and B) Tide is back - however the season turns out he can boast about his genius and say, "I predicted this in my column on (insert link)."

Nobody (other than I) will remember the idiot coming down on the other side of the issue just a week earlier.

We've got a bright future - might be this year might be next. Might be several of the next years including this year.

Our margin for error is nonexistent. Odds are against us actually winning it this year. Don't console yourselves with 'this says we're gonna be okay' - or you'll be the one in full meltdown if we fall fourteen behind someone this year.

But yeah - we're pretty good and it looks even better going forward.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
I would like to add to the statement "As long as Nick Saban is our HC we will be in the hunt" the qualifier: As long as Nick Saban is our HC and as long as he keeps bringing in Top Five or Six recruit rankings we will be in the hunt.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
No way to tell until the end of the year. Georgia may end up with 3-4 losses or they could steamroll the rest of their schedule. I don't think a whole lot can be taken from the Ole Miss loss or Georgia win as far as Alabama's long term future is concerned..

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
We get through October 4-0 then we're legitimate...its a tough schedule regardless of records held by Tennessee and Arkansas right now. Particularly, that TAMU game is gonna be tough...

KentuckianaBFan

All-SEC
Jan 26, 2011
Lakeland, FL, 2018
echoaffiliate.com
No way to tell until the end of the year. Georgia may end up with 3-4 losses or they could steamroll the rest of their schedule. I don't think a whole lot can be taken from the Ole Miss loss or Georgia win as far as Alabama's long term future is concerned..
Ole Miss loss=what can happen with mistakes.

Georgia win=what the team is capable of when taking care of business.

The rest of the season is up to the team...

Roll Tide!!!

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.