SEC Rankings - Total Off and Def - Weighted against ranking of opposing off&def

skrayper77

All-American
Sep 4, 2003
Total Offense vs Opposing Ranked Total Defense (Using 1-14):

Methodology - Adding the opposing teams' rankings in total defense as opposed to other SEC teams to the corresponding SEC team's offensive ranking. (i.e. Ole Miss has faced the #4 teams in average Total D rank, while currently holding the #1 Total O rank).

Weighted Offensive Rankings:
1. Ole Miss - 5 (4+1)
2. Alabama - 6 (1+5)
3. Georgia - 9 (5+4)
4. Texas A&M - 12 (10+2)
5. South Carolina - 14 (2+12)
6. Auburn - 16 (3+14)
6. Vanderbilt - 16 (7+9)
6. Tennessee - 16 (8+8)
6. Arkansas - 16 (13+3)
10. Kentucky - 17 (6+11)
10. Miss State - 17 (11+6)
12. LSU - 20 (13+7)
13. Florida - 22 (12+10)
14. Missouri - 23 (9+14)

Weighted Defensive Rankings:
1. Vanderbilt - 7 (1+6)
2. Alabama - 8 (6+2)
3. Florida - 9 (4+5)
4. Arkansas - 11 (3+8)
5. Missouri - 15 (14+1)
5. LSU - 15 (12+3)
5. Georgia - 15 (11+4)
5. Texas A&M - 15 (5+10)
9. Tennessee - 16 (2+14)
10. Ole Miss - 17 (10+7)
11. Miss State - 18 (7+11)
12. South Carolina - 21 (9+12)
12. Auburn - 21 (8+13)
14. Kentucky - 22 (13+9)

We're only a few games into the season, but I'm curious how this will look at the end.

FYI - FCS schools were given a ranking of 129 for determining this.

bama2112

All-American
Nov 19, 2006
Cobb County, Ga.
Re: SEC Rankings - Total Off and Def - Weighted against ranking of opposing off&def

That makes total nonsense to me. Its garbage Weighted Defensive Rankings has Vandy at number 1. I am totally confused as to what bearing this has on anything and how would you use the stats?

skrayper77

All-American
Sep 4, 2003
Re: SEC Rankings - Total Off and Def - Weighted against ranking of opposing off&def

That makes total nonsense to me. Its garbage Weighted Defensive Rankings has Vandy at number 1. I am totally confused as to what bearing this has on anything and how would you use the stats?
Well, aside from apparently ticking you off... it was for fun.

No, I don't think Vandy has the best defense - just that they've performed well considering how tough of opposing offenses they've faced.

It's more telling that Missouri is statistically the highest ranking defense - but have faced the worst offenses among SEC teams.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art

Weighted stats based on competition are actually far more telling than just raw stats. For instance, a team might put up 70 points on one team and then struggle to score against another. How good the defense or offenses are means a lot.

In this case, I think the more telling thing isn't Alabama's defense at #2 (the score against Ole Miss was deceptive), but the offense at #2. Alabama has played some good defenses.

mittman

All-American
Jun 19, 2009

Well, aside from apparently ticking you off... it was for fun.

No, I don't think Vandy has the best defense - just that they've performed well considering how tough of opposing offenses they've faced.

It's more telling that Missouri is statistically the highest ranking defense - but have faced the worst offenses among SEC teams.
Weighted stats based on competition are actually far more telling than just raw stats. For instance, a team might put up 70 points on one team and then struggle to score against another. How good the defense or offenses are means a lot.

In this case, I think the more telling thing isn't Alabama's defense at #2 (the score against Ole Miss was deceptive), but the offense at #2. Alabama has played some good defenses.

Adding to what KrAzY3 said, they get more telling as the season goes along, thus the last statement in the OP.

I do think it is way to early to tell if there is any meaning behind the numbers though. I will be more interested in the numbers after TAMU and LSU.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA

I did my own stats, somewhat like this, before the Georgia game and it showed we would win big. RTR.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.