Georgia blames loss partly on jawing and provoking Bama before the game

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Alabama's business like approach to big football games is a reflection of its coach. Few teams/coaches take this approach, and I can't help but wonder why. I wonder because almost all of the most successful coaches have taken this approach.

Saban's "process" is not something new. Sure, he has adapted it to work in our modern world, but it has always been the strategy employed by the best football coaches. Heck, parents have been using it to raise their children forever.

Then you see this stuff happen and you hear their coaches make comments like" I didn't see anything wrong with it" or "It didn't look too bad to me" and you shake your head because it is clear that this coach, who is paid millions of dollars each year, just doesn't get it. It isn't the act itself that is the problem - it is the approach to the game, the play, the situation.

Just be glad that your coach gets it.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Like every other gimmicky solution that involves something other than hard work and discipline, intimidation is a great ploy ... until it doesn't work.
I've made clear that Miami is the most overrated 'dynasty' of all-time. For all of the talk of their talent and greatness, they were quite lucky and not that good of a team away from the Orange Bowl.

Their 1983 title is about as big a joke as has ever been in college football. Simply compare their schedule with Auburn's and then explain to me how in the world in a situation WITHOUT a playoff and where Auburn CANNOT play Nebraska due to contractual obligation - tell me how that result was just?

They went into the 1986 Sugar Bowl with a shot at the national title. They got creamed by Tennessee, 35-7. They played five nine-win teams and lost TWICE by double digits yet they were a title contender.

They went into the 1987 Fiesta Bowl as the favorite and ranked #1 against an overmatched and one-dimensional Penn State team. They lost, 14-10. They played a wuss schedule, too - ONE challenging game against OU. Did I mention they had an off week prior to the OU game at home? OU was coming off consecutive games against UCLA and Minnesota while Miami played two jokes (Florida wasn't that good) and had an off week.

They were unquestionably the best team in the nation in 1987, and I have no problem with that.

In 1988, they were a good team but they played a tough schedule and it cost them the national title.

In 1989, they played a joke schedule while Notre Dame played the toughest schedule in the nation. They played THREE decent teams all year. Did I mention they lost one of them? After an off week even? But for the only time in history, when one team knocked off number one and had the best record (one loss), Miami was elevated to number one using the argument that they won the head to head match. This did NOT happen in 1978 with USC; in 1993, Notre Dame had beaten FSU as well but they didn't get elevated to number one. They did in 1977 because they beat number one head to head. Their title in 1989 is just as undeserved as the one in 1983.

In 1990, they made a mistake - they scheduled too many decent teams and lost twice (BYU and Notre Dame).

In 1991, they played an average schedule. TWO good teams (Penn St and FSU) and they won the latter on a missed FG that would have been good any year prior to 1991. Then they chickened out of going to the Sugar Bowl to face Florida and played an overrated Nebraska team at home and killed them. Given Miami's results in the Sugar Bowl (they got creamed, 35-7, by Tennessee and 34-13 by us - in between they had the fight of their lives and won, 33-25), they opted to stay home, figuring that pollsters would never drop a number one that won the bowl game.

They were wrong on one count and nearly on both - as Washington took home half the crown and nearly got all of it (which they should have). The 1991 title isn't near as tainted as the others but it's still proof they weren't as good as their press clippings.

They basically won one and half legit titles. That ain't a dynasty, especially when you duck tough foes.

superbamashane

1st Team
Aug 14, 2006
Sylacauga, AL

I grew up watching Bama play with my dad. I've been watching them since before I was even old enough to know what I was watching. I was 14 when this game happened and there's no doubt this is the day I got hooked on the Crimson Tide. I still go back from time to time and watch this play.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL

I grew up watching Bama play with my dad. I've been watching them since before I was even old enough to know what I was watching. I was 14 when this game happened and there's no doubt this is the day I got hooked on the Crimson Tide. I still go back from time to time and watch this play.
The greatest non-play in the history of college football.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I've made clear that Miami is the most overrated 'dynasty' of all-time..
Didn't they spend something like 140 straight weeks in the top ten? You can make excuses and talk about luck all you want - 140 consecutive weeks in the top 10 is flat amazing. Add in their championships and it is a dynasty, and a darned impressive one.

Didn't care for the way that they did it, but they did it.

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
Georgia blames loss partly on jawing and provoking Bama before the game

Listen to podcast page 2 Dawgs Did Not Seem Ready to Play Against Bama

http://www.dawgsportsradio.com/

Video of UGA trying to provoke Bama
http://www.rollbamaroll.com/2015/10...-greet-alabama-players-as-they-take-the-field
A team is just a reflection of it's coach. And that was "CLASSLESS"! I always thought that their coach was a good Christian man. I guess he is but, I think, even Christ would even think that was CLASSLESS!

Bamaboda1

Suspended
Sep 1, 2006
Kathleen, GA
First of a couple of posts. With respect to the Miami "Dynasty": (Lou) Saban's departure, the constant coaching upheaval Miami experienced during the decade,(70's) and assorted fiscal problems sparked the university's Board of Trustees to hold a vote on whether to drop the football program down to the Division I-AA level or eliminate it altogether.(Wikipedia) University executive vice president Dr. John Green was able to convince the board to give Division I-A football another shot and hired Howard Schnellenberger, offensive coordinator for the NFL's Miami Dolphins, to succeed Saban." So the beginning of this supposed dynasty began with the arrival of CHS (Bryant trained) in 1979, as compared to most "dynasty" schools, who have been a factor since the early 20th Century. Many young folks confuse a "lucky streak" with a dynasty...not the same. Bama is a dynasty (prime mover/shaker/influence) in College Football because of sustained excellence, regardless of a few years of mediocrity (think OSU, Mich, ND, etc). The influence is a bedrock of the game.

Last edited:

BradtheImpaler

All-American
Nov 16, 2010
Sugar Hill, GA
Didn't they spend something like 140 straight weeks in the top ten? You can make excuses and talk about luck all you want - 140 consecutive weeks in the top 10 is flat amazing. Add in their championships and it is a dynasty, and a darned impressive one.

I think that Miami's "dynasty" was as much about the powers of college football receding, as it was about them rising. Don't get me wrong, those teams had tremendous talent, but look at what was going on, not just with the traditional powers, but with the newcomers to the national stage. Penn State had been an eastern power, but not really a national brand until Barry Krauss stood Mike Guman up at the goal line. We were down, trying to replace the greatest coach in the history of college football. Ohio State was suffering through the end of the Woody Hayes era. Texas was trending downward. The 1980s began with Georgia winning its first national championship in four decades. Clemson came out of nowhere to win it the next year. Penn State, Pitt, SMU, and BYU rose to national prominence in the early '80s. The landscape changed in college football, and the Hurricanes were a "perfect storm" for the decade. Their sudden rise, along with Florida State's, could not have happened in the 1960s or 1970s.

Last edited:

theballguy

Hall of Fame
Nov 5, 2012
Roll Tide Roll, Colorado USA
I told everyone that would listen, "If we play our best game of the year, we might have a chance".
When I saw their players run across the field and trash talk us, I turned to my friend and said, "They just got their butts kicked".
You are NOT going to intimidate the Alabama Crimson Tide, and it's that simple.
sip
Agreed. We are not as lights-out as we used to be but you have to kick our butts on the field ... everything else is false bravado.

theballguy

Hall of Fame
Nov 5, 2012
I think that Miami's "dynasty" was as much about the powers of college football receding, as it was about them rising. Don't get me wrong, those teams had tremendous talent, but look at what was going on, not just with the traditional powers, but with the newcomers to the national stage. Penn State had been an eastern power, but not really a national brand until Barry Krauss stood Mike Guman up at the goal line. We were down, trying to replace the greatest coach in the history of college football. Ohio State was suffering through the end of the Woody Hayes era. Texas was trending downward. The 1980s began with Georgia winning its first national championship in four decades. Clemson came out of nowhere to win it the next year. Penn State, Pitt, SMU, and BYU rose to national prominence in the early '80s. The landscape changed in college football, and the Hurricanes were a "perfect storm" for the decade. Their sudden rise, along with Florida State's, could not have happened in the 1960s or 1970s.
Agreed. It didn't hurt that Miami played in the Big East. Other than playing ND, they had no competition there. Part of me wonders the same about Ohio State for the past few years. They have greatly benefited from playing in a very weak conference. It's still weak somewhat but vacuums attract other great coaches to come in. I think we're about to see Michigan and Michigan State push Ohio State around.

theballguy

Hall of Fame
Nov 5, 2012

The greatest play on a penalty in the history of the game. Miami never had a chance after that.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000

Miami's "dynasty" was an accident of history. Look at the national champions around them:

1982 - Penn State (Independent)
1983 - Miami (Independent)
1984 - BYU (WAC)
1985 - Oklahoma (Big 8)
1986 - Penn State (Independent)
1987 - Miami (Independent)
1988 - Notre Dame (Independent)
1989 - Miami (Independent)
1990 - Colorado (Big 8)
1991 - Miami (Independent)

Notice anything unusual? Teams without conference affiliations won 7 of ten titles.

Why?

Conference champions were contractually obligated to play specific bowl games.

Miami had a distinct advantage at scheduling bowl games - they could pick the highest rated team and improve their position while other teams were at a disadvantage. Miami leapfrogged Auburn in the 1983 poll. Why? Because they got to play Nebraska. Nobody thought Miami was better than Auburn or else Miami would have been rated higher. But once they got to be the tea that beat another 'team the media says is better than it is,' they walked off with a voted title.

They got to do this in 1986 as well and benefited from the opposite in 1989.

I'm NOT saying Miami was not a GOOD team; I'm saying close analysis reveals something else altogether. Being ranked in the top ten for 140 straight weeks doesn't mean much when you don't play anybody in the first place. Their scheduling was about as concocted as Boise State's is. If you're ranked #2 and lose a close one to the only decent opponent you play, you're not gonna drop far anyway.

BYU went nearly 30 years without getting shut out.

Nobody's making 'excuses.' Deprived of their home crib in the bowl games this 'dynasty' was quite ordinary. Their 1983 and 1989 titles owed more to vote trickery than anything else.

And true champions don't duck foes as Miami did, either.

Miami even suggested in 1986 they would NOT play anything other than the Orange Bowl at home. Some clever PR work got them to play Penn State in Arizona.

Oh - and they lost, too.

That gets away from the OP, though except as they acted far worse. I don't think we'll ever see that again - to that degree.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.