Georgia blames loss partly on jawing and provoking Bama before the game

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
If only Colt hadn't gotten hurt.....

Oh, wrong team.

Quite frankly, I thought good tackling and execution had most to do with it myself but I'm not a highly paid clueless analyst, either.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
That was absolutely part of it - not in an of itself, but the attitude it portrayed. A businesslike UGA would have been a tough foe, they thought emotion would carry the day. It very rarely does.

superbamashane

1st Team
Aug 14, 2006
Sylacauga, AL
Just an excuse. I'm sure it fired our boys up, but emotions only take you so far...however...I have never personally encountered an elephant, but poking and prodding one seems like a surefire way to get trampled.

Bama1985

1st Team
Jan 18, 2006
Calhoun County
You are right and I don't have to read the article.

Its not an article. It is a radio show podcast and it is funny. One part they were talking about the "Bulldogs can get away with doing their pregame intimidation to Louisville--But Bama is not Louisville. Bama has been there before-- this stuff doesn't work against them."

Last edited:

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
That was absolutely part of it - not in an of itself, but the attitude it portrayed. A businesslike UGA would have been a tough foe, they thought emotion would carry the day. It very rarely does.
I told everyone that would listen, "If we play our best game of the year, we might have a chance".
When I saw their players run across the field and trash talk us, I turned to my friend and said, "They just got their butts kicked".
You are NOT going to intimidate the Alabama Crimson Tide, and it's that simple.
sip

Special K

All-American
Feb 8, 2008
I told everyone that would listen, "If we play our best game of the year, we might have a chance".
When I saw their players run across the field and trash talk us, I turned to my friend and said, "They just got their butts kicked".
You are NOT going to intimidate the Alabama Crimson Tide, and it's that simple.
sip
I pretty much thought the same thing when I saw all the pregame woofing, rocking the team bus, etc. I thought right then "we're already in their heads".

All that stuff isn't why they lost, but it betrayed their insecurity.

westide

All-SEC
Jan 22, 2011
I am surprised they didn't blame it on the rain even though they practice outside all the time.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I've heard Miami used to be notorious for that sort of behavior. Did they do anything like that before the '92 Sugar Bowl?
Miami set a standard of classless behavior that will never be topped.

But compared to some of their earlier shenanigans, they were mild at the 93 Sugar Bowl. One thing they did do - a Hurricane tradition - was when our guys extended hands for the pregame handshake the Hurricane captains turned their backs. There WAS an incident involving Rohan Marley (yeah - he's related to uh 'him') before the game but I don't recall the details (before anyone gets on my case about the memory - I had my wisdom teeth out on 29 December and was sleeping a lot and on a lot of pain medication that week).

Okay, here's what I found:

The son comes without the dreadlocks and the hypnotic reggae beat, but he is a prophet of sorts, too. He says Miami is going to kick Alabama all over the Sugar Bowl on Friday night. His name is Rohan Marley, and he is a tough little linebacker.

For Rohan Marley, it was Saturday night in a crowded street here in the French Quarter, where he and maybe 16 of his teammates stood chest-to-chest with 16 or 17 Alabama players, in a macho little standoff, until the lads decided to wait until Friday night to go at it.

Did Marley think Alabama is the toughest team Miami will face? "Nope." What did he think of their offense? "One-dimensional," he said.

"I'm gonna knock somebody's head off," he added. "I'm sorry if you don't like it, but that's the way it is."

Marley, in fact, predicted Miami would shut out Alabama. For the record, Alabama's defense (7) scored MORE POINTS than Miami's OFFENSE (6).

ALSO:

Miami linebacker Micheal Barrow said he saw no need to get into a war of words with Alabama players. He promptly added that the Hurricanes' defense, not the Crimson Tide's, was the best in the nation because of Miami's quality of opponents.

Miami defensive end Darren Krein said the Hurricanes were already a dynasty. Barrow said a victory against Alabama would guarantee it.

Miami wide receiver Lamar Thomas said Alabama's cornerbacks weren't "real men" because they don't play man-to-man coverage.

Marley also walked up to Roosevelt Patterson in the French Quarter and told him he was fat. Oh, and Marley is quoted as saying:

``We will kick their ...,`` is exactly what Marley said. ``We are going to beat them. And if you don`t like it, you can go to hell.

Miami also had incidents that resulted in South Carolina and I believe Maryland saying they would never again schedule Miami. A lot of riotous behavior during the game.

UGA had nothing on that insanity.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Miami is best-known for two incidents or games - the fatigues wearing at the 1987 Fiesta Bowl (coupled with storming out of the pregame dinner) and over 200 yards in penalties in the 1991 Cotton Bowl against Texas. They had 15 penalties - nine of which were either personal fouls or unsportsmanlike conduct penalties.

The inmates ran that asylum. Sonny Lubick, the DC who later coached at Colorado State, said the coaches were trying to get the players to tone it down and it only got worse. It was so bad that in April 1991, the NCAA instituted the new 'taunting rule.'

Catfish

Hall of Fame
Oct 11, 2005
Birmingham
I've heard Miami used to be notorious for that sort of behavior. Did they do anything like that before the '92 Sugar Bowl?
If you mean during warmups, I'm not sure. But, Rohan Marley, Lamar Thomas and the rest of the UM Bad Boys were doing plenty of poking the bear in the week leading up to the game. From the SI article after the game:

And six nights before the game right tackle Roosevelt Patterson was verbally assaulted in the French Quarter. "You must be an offensive lineman, you fat, sloppy [expletive]," Miami linebacker Rohan Marley had shouted at the amply padded, 290-pound Patterson...

...Even more remarkable was that Lamar Thomas was finally forced to curb his tongue. Thomas, Miami's spindly-but-dangerous senior wideout, had appointed himself team woofmeister in New Orleans. At a press conference he put his two national championship rings on either side of the microphone. The third one, said Thomas, "will be icing on the cake." Instead, he wound up with egg on his face.

Thomas started the press conference off by running down the SEC. "Not what it was," said Thomas. He then questioned the manhood of Alabama's defensive backs, who, Thomas had noticed, played lots of zone. "Real men play man," he said. Of course, he added, he understood why secondaries stayed in safe zones against the Ruthless Posse, Thomas's moniker for the Hurricanes' corps of wide receivers—himself, Horace Copeland, Darryl Spencer and Kevin Williams. "The best receiving corps probably ever assembled," was his humble opinion. "Anytime we get a team in man-to-man, it's unfair."

When roving bands of players from both teams had a Close Encounter of the Word Kind on Bourbon Street, Thomas zeroed in on Lassic. "Who are you? Who are you?" he shouted. "You know me. Everybody knows me."

In fact, millions would know Thomas after Friday night, though not for reasons he liked. Unbeknownst to Thomas, he had diligently set himself up for one of the more spectacular comeuppances in the history of sport.
http://www.si.com/vault/2006/08/30/8392492/92-the-end-of-the-drought

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Let me put it this way - Alabama beating Miami was one of the most popular results in the history of college football. People HATED them for that thuggery.

One of my co-workers was an FSU fan and he was at the Orange Bowl (FSU-Nebraska). He said that place was in utter shock when they watched the score quickly go from 13-6 to 20 to 27-6 in about a five-minute (real time) span. There was no Internet and almost no cell phones back then, so most of them had no earthly idea what was going on. Each time they would announce a score for Alabama, the place would cheer. He said when they left the stadium they were chanting, "We're number two!"

Another buddy (also an FSU fan) predicted Miami in a wipeout. This was what he told me: "Alabama plays in that run oriented SEC West. They're a one dimensional team and it inflates their defensive stats because there aren't any good QBs in the West, the good ones (Shuler, Mathews, Zeier) are all in the East. Did you notice that the one time Alabama had major trouble this year? It was the second half against Florida, when Shane Mathews carved up the secondary. Gino is gonna light them up with those burner receivers."

I'll give him credit, though - after the game, he was classy about it and of course he was happy because FSU was ranked higher.

Another note to history - remember all the whining about the 2011 Alabama-LSU rematch? Well, there was major clamoring for a rematch in the media between Miami and FSU for all of November 1992. ESPN began disparaging Alabama on October 31; in fact, they're the ones who put out Corky Simpson's name as the lone voter who actually thought Alabama was better than both FSU and Miami. And Washington (who was still unbeaten at that time).

A number of Seminoles fans also thought that since we 'barely' beat Florida, they should jump us in the polls and get to play Miami. I'm serious. They used the old, "We killed Florida and they barely beat the Gators, so we should move ahead of them even though they're undefeated."

In fact, for all the class people think Bobby Bowden has, look at this:

It didn't take long for Bobby Bowden to start lobbying after his No. 3 Florida State Seminoles defeated archrival Florida, 45-24, on Saturday.

"If you want one vs. one, you better get FSU and Miami. Anything else will be one vs. two," Bowden said. "I doubt if anybody is playing better than us right now.

But there's a problem with the logic on another level - Florida led, 38-17, at halftime. And then Steve Spurrier BENCHED Shane Mathews.

Why?

Because there was a game the next week. A conference game. A shot to win the first-ever SEC title game. Florida basically chucked it in the second half and started getting ready to play us. Gene Stallings even noted that - he pointed out that the pressure was on his player from day one and he never got a chance to relax (unlike Florida State or even Florida).

Consequently, Alabama was playing a Florida team with nothing to lose and everything to gain that had taken a half off in its previous contest - while the Tide was playing a fired up Auburn trying to send their coach out a winner one last time (which is a lot of why the score was 0-0 at the half of the 92 IB).

But here's the point - NOBODY had a problem with a rematch in 1992. More than one media outlet said we didn't even belong in the game. Nobody had a problem with the 1996 rematch between Florida and FSU. And the media was clamoring and predicting an Ohio St- Michigan rematch in 2006.

I'm just saying.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.