Official Post-Game Thread - Bama vs. Hogs...

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I've got to add something. I dont think Coker had a good game at all (some will disagree and thats fine) played terrible in the first half and medicore in the second half. Only hit one good pass (and that was really more over the receiver playing the ball than Coker) I was that guy saying take Coker out in the first half. I will still say it also. While some people question that I question them. I saw nothing from him tonight he was better running the ball then throwing it.

While Cokers end of the game paper stats may have looked okay those are just that, paper stats. I can't see why Bateman or Moris didn't get snaps tonight.
Coker was 14-17 after that second pick, so you were wrong. Straight up wrong. The problem in that game was O-Line protection, not Coker. Not saying that Coker didn't make any mistakes - just saying that replacing him would not have helped and could have turned that win into a loss.

64met

All-American
Oct 12, 2007
We won, but the O-Line is very inconsistent week to week. We could be in for a long day @ TAM, if the O-Line doesn't show up.

fundytide

1st Team
Oct 22, 1999
Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
I just don't understand why Bo Scarbough wasn't in the game much? Are we holding him out or what? I thought our OL was very spotty tonight... But we played better in second half and I'll give them that. Lot of coaching going on before we play Texas A and M. I think we'll see better efforts against them.
As much of a beast as Scarbrough is, I'm not sure I want to see him 6 months out of ACL surgery taking shots at or behind the LOS the way that Harris has been taking them in clean-up duty. My hat's off to Harris on that BTW. He has been put in there and treated like a punching bag the last few weeks.

fundytide

1st Team
Oct 22, 1999
Coker was 14-17 after that second pick, so you were wrong. Straight up wrong. The problem in that game was O-Line protection, not Coker. Not saying that Coker didn't make any mistakes - just saying that replacing him would not have helped and could have turned that win into a loss.
Great points! And I'd like to add that in the second half when Coker was under pressure he either threw the ball away into the bench or took the sack rather than lofting it up into center field. He progressed in his decision-making as the game went on.

My reading of things is that, as mentioned before, he is a first year starter despite being a 5th year senior and is making mistakes that should be expected under those circumstances. Based on his body language and facial expressions he also seems to be lacking in confidence a little bit so when the coaches leave him in and don't give him the quick hook after a couple of picks, I think they are helping him with that. And a game like last night helps big time because he can believe that the defense will keep him in any game.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
I learned years ago from Rich to stay out of the game threads. After time to reflect on the Arkansas game, I am now 100% convinced that our chances of making it back to the playoffs will be determined by the play of our offensive line and special teams. It is that simple.

bigjue24

Suspended
Dec 2, 2009
Okeechobee, FL
I learned years ago from Rich to stay out of the game threads. After time to reflect on the Arkansas game, I am now 100% convinced that our chances of making it back to the playoffs will be determined by the play of our offensive line and special teams. It is that simple.
I agree totally. I really enjoy Tide fans except for the game threads. If it is a blowout then it's ok, but a close game or a loss makes it unbearable. I question even having a game thread. It's a place for drunk guys to bash everything and everybody in sight. I usually watch night games alone, and I would love to have the game thread open, but after last night I'm out. There are some nice people sharing good insight, but they often wind up trying to combat the drunk morons, and the whole thing turns into the mods having to suspend and ban people. If I'm a mod I want to watch the game not babysit a bunch of grown people acting like little children pitching a fit in a store because they don't get their way.

CrimSonami

All-American
Jul 17, 2011
Ardmore, AL; too close to 10erC
Isn't this the same team, for the most part, we needed a missed PAT to beat last year? WITH a record setting offense I might add.

I'm a bit spoiled over the last 8 years but I don't expect to dominate every game every year on both sides of the ball. It's just not going to happen. Sure, our offense has proven to be a liability at times but that's not out of the norm if you think on it. I'm not happy with the way the game started but the end result is "W" for the good guys.

Can't wait for CNS's press conference this week.

RTR!!!

Tug Tide

All-American
Aug 27, 2006
Redneck Riviera, Panama City Beach, FL
I know middle of the season isn't generally the best time for a radical change but... It sure seems like JC still looks very confused by the No Huddle communication from the sidelines. At least on TV, his eyes seem to go back and forth between 2 or 3 spots, like he isn't sure which signaler or play card to be reading. He looks so frustrated with it at times.
I wish we could implement the wrist strap play sheet for 2 minute and run the plays into the huddle the rest of the time. I get the prevent them substituting philosophy, but it sure is hard to watch sometimes.

CrimSonami

All-American
Jul 17, 2011
Ardmore, AL; too close to 10erC
I agree totally. I really enjoy Tide fans except for the game threads. If it is a blowout then it's ok, but a close game or a loss makes it unbearable. I question even having a game thread. It's a place for drunk guys to bash everything and everybody in sight. I usually watch night games alone, and I would love to have the game thread open, but after last night I'm out. There are some nice people sharing good insight, but they often wind up trying to combat the drunk morons, and the whole thing turns into the mods having to suspend and ban people. If I'm a mod I want to watch the game not babysit a bunch of grown people acting like little children pitching a fit in a store because they don't get their way.
And I thank them for it. This is the best Bama site on the web.

RTR!!!

fundytide

1st Team
Oct 22, 1999
I know middle of the season isn't generally the best time for a radical change but... It sure seems like JC still looks very confused by the No Huddle communication from the sidelines. At least on TV, his eyes seem to go back and forth between 2 or 3 spots, like he isn't sure which signaler or play card to be reading. He looks so frustrated with it at times.
I wish we could implement the wrist strap play sheet for 2 minute and run the plays into the huddle the rest of the time. I get the prevent them substituting philosophy, but it sure is hard to watch sometimes.
He seems frustrated to me, not confused, but I agree with you that it is taking a long time to get plays in. I understand that he had a bad decision and a bad throw in the first half but he was under seige from the Arky front 7 all night and still completed 77% of his passes had 2 TDs and a 147 QB rating. He also tucked the ball and ran with some pretty good agility and authority for a guy his size. IMHO, he is the right guy for the QB job.

Tug Tide

All-American
Aug 27, 2006
Redneck Riviera, Panama City Beach, FL
He seems frustrated to me, not confused, but I agree with you that it is taking a long time to get plays in. I understand that he had a bad decision and a bad throw in the first half but he was under seige from the Arky front 7 all night and still completed 77% of his passes had 2 TDs and a 147 QB rating. He also tucked the ball and ran with some pretty good agility and authority for a guy his size. IMHO, he is the right guy for the QB job.
Please don't take that as any kind of knock on Coker. I think it's a whole Offensive communication problem. I think it is not only affecting him but the OL and WR also.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
To me Jakes one big problem is simple. If he's about to be sacked or hit during his release he hurries and try's to throw it anyway. It normally ends up being a floating duck that's easily picked. If he'll just learn that it's not "His fault" if he gets sacked and just sometimes accept the sack over the bad throw, he'll be o.k.

fundytide

1st Team
Oct 22, 1999
Please don't take that as any kind of knock on Coker. I think it's a whole Offensive communication problem. I think it is not only affecting him but the OL and WR also.
I agree 100%. I thought the offense looked sharp on the first two drives (at least until we were inside the 10 yard line) when things were probably scripted but after that, not so much.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
No, we mods do not look forward to the game threads. Short of shutting down the site, there's no way around them. Rich and I determined that a long time ago. If we didn't have game threads, then we'd have to try moderate a dozen little parallel game threads started by individual members - impossible. If you'll notice - it happened last night - someone will try to start a thread of his own about a particular issue. Of course, they get closed in a hurry, since they're basically a "look at me" tactic. No, again, they're not fun for mods, but there's no way around them. The alternatives are worse...

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.