Official Post-Game Thread - Bama vs. Hogs...

twofbyc

Suspended
Oct 14, 2009
Some stat person can help here maybe, as I'm not going to do all the digging, but:
It seems as if Bama, playing at home after a big road win, has always had problems - at least under CNS. I know there have been more than a few regular season losses at BD under CNS, but I also recall more than a couple of underwhelming performances (against teams like Arkansas - or worse) where the game was very close and at least one part of the team played well below average. 134 yards rushing isn't going to scare anybody - hog defense has a 3.49 ypc average, Bama only got 2.9. That will need to be corrected this week and I'm sure it will, since the hogs rushing D is ranked #20 and I don't even see A&M's in the top 50.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
sorry guys but last night the team's performance was my fault. I was watching the game with no lights on and the second I turned the lights on we had a 80+ yard bomb. It won't happen again.

tidegrandpa

All-American
No, we mods do not look forward to the game threads. Short of shutting down the site, there's no way around them. Rich and I determined that a long time ago. If we didn't have game threads, then we'd have to try moderate a dozen little parallel game threads started by individual members - impossible. If you'll notice - it happened last night - someone will try to start a thread of his own about a particular issue. Of course, they get closed in a hurry, since they're basically a "look at me" tactic. No, again, they're not fun for mods, but there's no way around them. The alternatives are worse...
I never get on a game thread, probably never will, however last night 2 of my friends were texting, one of them was at the game and I had to be the adult in the room. Man these people get on the window ledge early and want to do everything but rename the stadium. I couldn't moderate a board this wild. Kudos to you guys.

bigjue24

Suspended
Dec 2, 2009
Okeechobee, FL
No, we mods do not look forward to the game threads. Short of shutting down the site, there's no way around them. Rich and I determined that a long time ago. If we didn't have game threads, then we'd have to try moderate a dozen little parallel game threads started by individual members - impossible. If you'll notice - it happened last night - someone will try to start a thread of his own about a particular issue. Of course, they get closed in a hurry, since they're basically a "look at me" tactic. No, again, they're not fun for mods, but there's no way around them. The alternatives are worse...
I appreciate what you guys do. It would be a mad house with a bunch of threads running at once. I think my solution is just avoid the game thread and rejoin everyone after the game is over. I do think this is the best Bama site on the web, and one the best from any fan base.

twofbyc

Suspended
Oct 14, 2009
I agree totally. I really enjoy Tide fans except for the game threads. If it is a blowout then it's ok, but a close game or a loss makes it unbearable. I question even having a game thread. It's a place for drunk guys to bash everything and everybody in sight. I usually watch night games alone, and I would love to have the game thread open, but after last night I'm out. There are some nice people sharing good insight, but they often wind up trying to combat the drunk morons, and the whole thing turns into the mods having to suspend and ban people. If I'm a mod I want to watch the game not babysit a bunch of grown people acting like little children pitching a fit in a store because they don't get their way.
People get drunk and ignorant - it's the way of the world, and it's worse on game threads. But this site is the best-regulated on the web hands down. I don't go to game threads anymore. Game threads are a perfect storm for emotions and alcohol to breed stupidity.
I think they should put breathalyzers on computers.

Bama Reb

Suspended
Nov 2, 2005
On the lake and in the woods, AL
I stay away from game threads. In fact, I don't even go near my computers during the games. This game was a reason why.
I agree with Jess that we should have put this game away early. Then again, the Hawgs always seem to play a close game with us.
Naturally I'm happy for the win, but an impressive win it was not.

paul02085

All-SEC
Sep 12, 2004
Loganville, Ga.
Just wanted to say that Jake played a good game IMO. He was getting drilled every time he threw the ball. O line got whipped alot, but I think Arkansas is very good up front on D and we didnt gag under pressure but keep plugging till we won and i am proud of that.

tidefan39817

All-American
Jan 17, 2006
Bainbridge, Georgia
Hey I love this team. I'm just stating a very real fact. I hate to spike the kool-aid but we're just simply not very good right now...
It'll thrill me to death if we suddenly get better though! :)
Of those three, aTM IS THE ONLY ONE THAT CONCERNS me. They have the offense that gives us the most trouble. The two de's they have are the best combination we will see all year. Add in Chief at dc and that is like giving a great white shark thumbs. Problems with pass pro at rt and stretches of time where the offense can't get out of there own way. Our boys will had be too be on point to win this game. Ut, they just don't have the depth to last four qtrs. Lau, one trick pony. Even though that one trick is a one ton wrecking ball. If they slow down the running game and force lsu to have to pass, it might be a game similar to uga. Three tough games for sure but all three are winnable. Like I said aTm is the only one that worries me.

TideFan in AU

Hall of Fame
I've got to add something. I dont think Coker had a good game at all (some will disagree and thats fine) played terrible in the first half and medicore in the second half. Only hit one good pass (and that was really more over the receiver playing the ball than Coker) I was that guy saying take Coker out in the first half. I will still say it also. While some people question that I question them. I saw nothing from him tonight he was better running the ball then throwing it.

While Cokers end of the game paper stats may have looked okay those are just that, paper stats. I can't see why Bateman or Moris didn't get snaps tonight.
Yeah, because that worked so well last time.

Coker had numerous good throws, including a side arm bullet for the last TD. If he doesn't throw it that way, it's a batted ball or worse. The 2nd INT was a high pass, but should have been caught by Mullaney. Ridley dropped another perfect pass at one point. I think Jake played a decent game considering the pressure he was getting in face all night long.

tidefan39817

All-American
Jan 17, 2006
Bainbridge, Georgia
I agree totally. I really enjoy Tide fans except for the game threads. If it is a blowout then it's ok, but a close game or a loss makes it unbearable. I question even having a game thread. It's a place for drunk guys to bash everything and everybody in sight. I usually watch night games alone, and I would love to have the game thread open, but after last night I'm out. There are some nice people sharing good insight, but they often wind up trying to combat the drunk morons, and the whole thing turns into the mods having to suspend and ban people. If I'm a mod I want to watch the game not babysit a bunch of grown people acting like little children pitching a fit in a store because they don't get their way.
I actually enjoy the game threads. If you read it right it makes you pay a little more attention. If you read five posts complaining about the oline for example, I pay attention a little more. The only complaint I have is pass protection at rt. Jackson is just a little stiff in pass protection at times. The only complaint at rb is Henry seems to run smaller than he is at times. Coker, first time starter mistakes. His two int's last night were not bad. His first one was because he got hit, hard, and the ball drifted inside. If he had one second more the ball goes over the left shoulder and it's a big completion. The second one he should have taken a little off the pass and it's a big play. Young hideouts, they are gonna make mistakes. But they very rarely make the same mistake. All in all, I think this is the type of team coach Saban likes to coach more than anything. Young players, inexperienced and no superstar player. There is no "coach, I'm the best at my position so I get it". He has a chance to "coach".

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I've got to add something. I dont think Coker had a good game at all (some will disagree and thats fine) played terrible in the first half and medicore in the second half. Only hit one good pass (and that was really more over the receiver playing the ball than Coker) I was that guy saying take Coker out in the first half. I will still say it also. While some people question that I question them. I saw nothing from him tonight he was better running the ball then throwing it.

While Cokers end of the game paper stats may have looked okay those are just that, paper stats. I can't see why Bateman or Moris didn't get snaps tonight.
Well let's see... Bateman was used to run the read option in the ole miss game, but he didn't do one and had he pulled it he would've easily walked away with two Tds

Morris from all reports does not have the team chemistry like Coker does

So realistically that leaves Barnett. Not going into this one

What all these eeyores need to accept is to just accept that nick saban isn't lyodd Carr in playing to the mob with a qb . I seriously wish the eeyores would go away, but it's just in their nature to ruin someone's party with their negativity

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
Coker was 14-17 after that second pick, so you were wrong. Straight up wrong. The problem in that game was O-Line protection, not Coker. Not saying that Coker didn't make any mistakes - just saying that replacing him would not have helped and could have turned that win into a loss.
I think it's a combination. The line was pushed backward for much of the game because of their own mistakes and the fact that Arkansas did not think Jake could hurt them. He finally did, and that was a beautiful throw to Ridley. Whether it was the line or his own inexperience, Jake appeared to have trouble seeing the field last night. As for his high percentage in the second half, he played better. But five or six of those "completions" were handoffs or quick outs to flankers. With the exception of the bomb to Ridley, we had no downfield passing whatsoever. Our guy made some huge plays with his legs, however.

TideFan in AU

Hall of Fame
I actually enjoy the game threads. If you read it right it makes you pay a little more attention. If you read five posts complaining about the oline for example, I pay attention a little more. The only complaint I have is pass protection at rt. Jackson is just a little stiff in pass protection at times. The only complaint at rb is Henry seems to run smaller than he is at times. Coker, first time starter mistakes. His two int's last night were not bad. His first one was because he got hit, hard, and the ball drifted inside. If he had one second more the ball goes over the left shoulder and it's a big completion. The second one he should have taken a little off the pass and it's a big play. Young hideouts, they are gonna make mistakes. But they very rarely make the same mistake. All in all, I think this is the type of team coach Saban likes to coach more than anything. Young players, inexperienced and no superstar player. There is no "coach, I'm the best at my position so I get it". He has a chance to "coach".
You might want to watch the the game a little closer than the game thread then, because Cam Robinson and Pierschbacher got whipped A LOT last night. In fact, I'd bet that Dom Jackson grades out better than both them this week. The first INT was result of a horrible whiff by Pierschbacher, Ryan Kelly still hasn't blocked #51 Ellis. There's a lot of blame to go around. I just re-watched the game, and Shank had the best night, followed by Jackson.

Last edited:

gamersfuel

All-American
Jan 20, 2008
Auburn/near a cow pasture
just because someone complains in a game thread does not mean they are drunk lol.. fans complain ALL the time. thats a part of being a fan IMO.. some are able to handle it. some arent. thats just the way it is.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
You might want to watch the the game a little closer than the game thread then, because Cam Robinson and Pierschbacher got whipped A LOT last night. In fact, I'd bet that Dom Jackson grades out better than both them this week. The first INT was result of a horrible whiff by Pierschbacher, Ryan Kelly still hasn't blocked #51 Ellis. There's a lot of blame to go around. I just re-watched the game, and Shank had the best night, followed by Jackson.
I agree with this. Cam had his worst game since he started at Bama. He caused three penalties, I think, and got beaten over and over. As I said in the game thread, I wonder if he's gotten a little too heavy...

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al
I agree with this. Cam had his worst game since he started at Bama. He caused three penalties, I think, and got beaten over and over. As I said in the game thread, I wonder if he's gotten a little too heavy...
I wonder if he has pulled something. He seemed to have a slight limp last night.

TideFan in AU

Hall of Fame
I wonder if he has pulled something. He seemed to have a slight limp last night.
Blackledge mentioned that he has been dinged up. Whatever it is, I hope he can work through it. He will be going up against maybe the best DE in the SEC next week.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Probably the hardest hit Alex Collins took last night, and he took some hard hits.

Jake's first pick was a bad decision, though he has very little time to process things. Still his fault.

The second pick was on Mullaney in my opinion. If the balls hits both your hands you gotta come down with it. Not on Jake's shoulders imo.
In the replay, I noticed the DB had his arm around Mullaney's waist like he was taking a prom picture. No clue how it wasn't flagged.

IIRC, Nessler made a comment about him being nicked up this year.

jabcmb

All-American
Feb 1, 2006
Birmingham, AL
This has nothing to do with the game, but when Arkansas ran on the field before kickoff one of their players carried a full size American flag on a staff. The Arkansas state flag and some other flag led their team in and were carried by yell leaders I think, and the American flag followed. It was a nice touch (probably cut down on the booing in front of thre student section); however, I wondered about the placement of the American flag behind the state flag and why a player was carrying it.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.