JessN

Administrator & Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Arkansas recap: Hogs too limited to capitalize on Bama mistakes
by Jess Nicholas
TideFans Editor-In-Chief
October 11th, 2015 05:48 AM

. By Jess Nicholas TideFans.com Editor-In-Chief Oct. 11, 2015 Alabama football games are rarely defined by one quarter, but the Crimson Tide’s 27-14 win over Arkansas was almost entirely about the fourth quarter plus 1:39 of the third. And it never should have come to that. The Crimson Tide spun wheels for most of Saturday’s […]

Read More Here

Toddrn

All-American
Nov 29, 2006
Woodstock, Ga
Great read Jess. Yes we have to do something about poor O-line play. Big question is what do we need to do to have them improve?

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I think that a win like this helps you more than the win against GA. After that win all that the Alabama players read and heard was how great they were, and that they were now back on track to win another championship. Yesterday they learned that they are not as good as they looked against GA, and that they are going to have to work harder if they want to keep that dream alive.

Reporters singing your praises doesn't help - it hinders progress. The team need confidence, but that has to be balanced by an understanding that they can be beaten if they don't prepare well and play their best football.

fundytide

1st Team
Oct 22, 1999
Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
I think that a win like this helps you more than the win against GA. After that win all that the Alabama players read and heard was how great they were, and that they were now back on track to win another championship. Yesterday they learned that they are not as good as they looked against GA, and that they are going to have to work harder if they want to keep that dream alive.

Reporters singing your praises doesn't help - it hinders progress. The team need confidence, but that has to be balanced by an understanding that they can be beaten if they don't prepare well and play their best football.
Agreed. And games that are still in question in the fourth quarter are much better prep for future competition than games that are settled by half time.

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
The other important lesson was the performance of UGA's defense in Knoxville. What had been an anemic passing game put more than 300 against a bad secondary. Georgia's line was shredded, too. Perhaps our trip to Athens gave us a distorted picture of our progress.

In other words, we're still learning about ourselves and the league. We do know this: Our defense will keep us in every game and will win many of them.

Last edited:

tide power fan

All-SEC
Nov 26, 2011
I think if the O-line comes along the running game will improve which will bring the passing game along also. On the bright side we looked good in the 4th quarter.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
I thought it would be a much more frustrating game than most everyone was predicting. We were due a letdown and Arkansas, while lessened by injuries, would be playing for their lives with newfound optimism after their win against Tennessee.

But while I was right about it being frustrating, I was wrong about the details. The defense completely shut down Arkansas's offense. I figured Arkansas would just play well, but what happened was our mistake-laden play on offense returned.

Honestly I just don't know if this team can win the SEC. We're way too inconsistent on offense and special teams. The defense is superb. Looking around the league at this point and it looks like it's Florida in the East, and us, A&M, and LSU in the West and guess what? All 4 of those teams are playing one another this weekend. Hopefully the OL can get back to dominating because the defense is going to give this team a chance to win every game.

Bamaboda1

Suspended
Sep 1, 2006
Kathleen, GA

You have good insight. This thing we all love (college football) has many moving parts. when you are in a conference that is as close to parity as the SEC ( and rapidly becoming as the B1G) it becomes week to week. There will be fewer and fewer "steam roller" games, and more " Sheesh, we got out of there" games. Get your prescriptions filled. And love the college game!

Rush

All-American
Jul 5, 2011
Ontario, Canada
"In a year in which the SEC has been cursed by up-and-down quarterback play, Jake Coker’s up-and-down game was both a distillation of the phenomenon and also a harbinger of possible future pitfalls."

Thanks for your usual informed, incisive analysis, Jess.

Oh and, would 'twere I could write like this...

TrueCrimson7

All-American
Sep 21, 2014
USA
Agreed. And games that are still in question in the fourth quarter are much better prep for future competition than games that are settled by half time.
I agree. This was the second game in a row where Alabama was losing at halftime and came back to earn the victory (the first being last year vs. Auburn). With a defense like we have, the game will very rarely be out of reach for the offense. The team needs bouts like this for late-game-push experience and confidence in its ability to surge ahead from a halftime deficit.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
I thought it would be a much more frustrating game than most everyone was predicting. We were due a letdown and Arkansas, while lessened by injuries, would be playing for their lives with newfound optimism after their win against Tennessee.

But while I was right about it being frustrating, I was wrong about the details. The defense completely shut down Arkansas's offense. I figured Arkansas would just play well, but what happened was our mistake-laden play on offense returned.

Honestly I just don't know if this team can win the SEC. We're way too inconsistent on offense and special teams. The defense is superb. Looking around the league at this point and it looks like it's Florida in the East, and us, A&M, and LSU in the West and guess what? All 4 of those teams are playing one another this weekend. Hopefully the OL can get back to dominating because the defense is going to give this team a chance to win every game.
yesterday i watched the first half of last year's a and m game. the whole lead in and the first few minutes, all gary and vern could talk about were: lack of offensive identity, questions at qb, inability to run the ball like "bama" does, too many fumbles, special teams miscues, and a problem at place kicker.

also, saban lit into folks last year as well taking up for his team.

eerily similar to this year.

Crimson Speed

All-American
Oct 2, 2005
The Shoals, North West Alabama
Good review Jess. Somehow, we need to mature into a consistent offense. Our defense is great, but we are not going to completely shut down Tam. We have to score to have a chance in this one. I am very concerned whether we have the ability to outscore Tam. RT

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.