New AP Poll October 11th

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
This is so true - obviously I want another SEC championship and the playoffs, but Bama is so Jekyll / Hyde this season that thinking about a playoff spot seems borderline silly.
yeah, but to be fair, we were sitting in pretty much the same spot with a lot of the same concerns last year going into the a and m game. and this year, our d is much improved.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
No one is saying OSU-UM isn't important to the schools and fans. But you can't point to a game since 06 that had any impact on the national title picture other than "will OSU lose". That is all anyone is saying.
Some games are important to the sport. Auburn/Alabama, Florida/Georgia, Notre Dame/USC, Texas/Oklahoma, Michigan/Ohio State - the list goes on and on. The sport was harmed when Notre Dame decided to stop playing Michigan.

My point is that these games ARE the sport. They represent the tradition that makes college football so much more than the NFL. And I get that some of these games mean more to regions than others. But all are important every year, and it has nothing to do with the impact of that game on the national title picture.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Audio, I'm the biggest Bama fan in history, but we're not a playoff contender.
We're too young and we're just not very good overall at critical positions.
People get mad at me when I post this, but we truly could lose our next three games.
I hope we don't, but we COULD.
It's no sin to just be 'pretty good" for a season.
Our kids need a chance to grow up, and if Bama fans can't live with that, then maybe they need to get a better hobby.
sip
Sip, I find myself agreeing with you one moment and then thinking more like CA the next. After what I saw against GA I was much more optimistic, but honestly, you take away our wins against Wisky and GA and, unfortunately, I tend to agree with you that we are just not complete enough, especially in critical positions that often determine the outcome of close games.

If we win out despite our qb, OL and special team issues it would be pretty amazing!

Mystical

All-American
Sep 28, 2009
Fairhope, Alabama
Audio, I'm the biggest Bama fan in history, but we're not a playoff contender.
We're too young and we're just not very good overall at critical positions.
People get mad at me when I post this, but we truly could lose our next three games.
I hope we don't, but we COULD.
It's no sin to just be 'pretty good" for a season.
Our kids need a chance to grow up, and if Bama fans can't live with that, then maybe they need to get a better hobby.
sip
I am not sure why you say we are young. We all ways have a few underclassmen sprinkled in here and there. Next year we will be worse off on defense. We will lose at least 5 of our most important players on defense after the season. Here are some of the names we will be losing seniors for sure and Juniors who will most likely jump ship. Jake Coker, Denzel Devall, Kenyan Drake, Ty Flourny-Smith, Rueben Foster, Derrick Henry, OJ Howard, Dominick Jackson, Cyrus Jones, Ryan Kelley, Korren Kirven, Darren Lake, Dillon Lee, Geno Smith, Richard, Mullaney, Micheal Nyswander, D.J. Pettway, Reggie Ragland, Jarran Reed, Ashawn Robinson, Bradeley Sylve, Jabriel Washington. The gentlemen in Red are Seniors so they are gone for sure. The gentlemen in Blue are leaving baring injury. So next year we will be a little older at receiver but young pretty much every where else. We will be losing so much depth off the D-line that its scary. In the secondary we only have to replace 3 key players. Next year is when we will be saying we are young and it will be true.

derek4tide

Hall of Fame
Jan 19, 2005
Daphne, AL
I am not sure why you say we are young. We all ways have a few underclassmen sprinkled in here and there. Next year we will be worse off on defense. We will lose at least 5 of our most important players on defense after the season. Here are some of the names we will be losing seniors for sure and Juniors who will most likely jump ship. Jake Coker, Denzel Devall, Kenyan Drake, Ty Flourny-Smith, Rueben Foster, Derrick Henry, OJ Howard, Dominick Jackson, Cyrus Jones, Ryan Kelley, Korren Kirven, Darren Lake, Dillon Lee, Geno Smith, Richard, Mullaney, Micheal Nyswander, D.J. Pettway, Reggie Ragland, Jarran Reed, Ashawn Robinson, Bradeley Sylve, Jabriel Washington. The gentlemen in Red are Seniors so they are gone for sure. The gentlemen in Blue are leaving baring injury. So next year we will be a little older at receiver but young pretty much every where else. We will be losing so much depth off the D-line that its scary. In the secondary we only have to replace 3 key players. Next year is when we will be saying we are young and it will be true.
Our offense is more inexperienced, than "young." We have 1st time starters at RB, QB, WR and 3 on the O-line as well as, several on our defense. The bad part is most of these 1st time starters will be gone, as you pointed out...both on offense and defense. We will have to plug and play with inexperienced guys once again next year. CNS has discussed this several times, both this year and last. We lose many to the NFL early every year.

Nolan

Hall of Fame
Jul 4, 2006
Oahu
Some games are important to the sport. Auburn/Alabama, Florida/Georgia, Notre Dame/USC, Texas/Oklahoma, Michigan/Ohio State - the list goes on and on. The sport was harmed when Notre Dame decided to stop playing Michigan.

My point is that these games ARE the sport. They represent the tradition that makes college football so much more than the NFL. And I get that some of these games mean more to regions than others. But all are important every year, and it has nothing to do with the impact of that game on the national title picture.
That's a large part of why I love college football. Look at the Texas upset of Oklahoma two days ago. That was awesome. I was out with my family but the radio was dialed in. Oregon vs UW will be huge this year. The Ducks are wounded and the Huskies are rabid to finally beat them. There are the handful of nationally recognized rivalry games and you named most of them. Beyond that, to me, there are another 15-20 annual match ups that make college football great.

And yet, if we have a revelation at QB (BB perhaps), so little of that matters. Plus, the talent returning is just sick. It's the endlessly frustrating and exciting cycle of change in college football.

RammerJammer14

Hall of Fame
Aug 18, 2007
UA

Ok fine, we all should have OSU-UM for the last 10 years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
I'm not sure I understand the double standard that the media seems to apply to us. We beat Arky by 13, and we "struggled" and "escaped with a win" and drop two spots in the poll. TAMU barely squeezes out a win in OT against the same team, and it's a "heroic comeback", and they move up three spots in the poll. Am I just delusional expecting any kind of consistency from writers at this point?
Not delusional at all - you just have to understand that a different standard is used to rank Bama now (especially now, since so many are screaming "the dynasty is over" - they have to prove it via polling.)
Anyone else ranked above Bama could struggle for almost 3 quarters against an unranked opponent and put them away by a large margin and not lose a spot.That won't happen with these polls - let's wait until the one that matters comes out and we will know if it's truly a national process.

BamaDMD

Hall of Fame
Sep 10, 2007
Rainsville Al

I agree B1G. I love watching other rivalries. I'm not really a fan per se of either team (although I'm not a hater either), but I truly enjoy the traditions and I feel and appreciate the excitement that these fan bases have for these games. While Bama has always been and always will be my team, this is what make college football exciting for me every year.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Our offense is more inexperienced, than "young." We have 1st time starters at RB, QB, WR and 3 on the O-line as well as, several on our defense. The bad part is most of these 1st time starters will be gone, as you pointed out...both on offense and defense. We will have to plug and play with inexperienced guys once again next year. CNS has discussed this several times, both this year and last. We lose many to the NFL early every year.
I agree - this has really hurt your offensive production this year. It is hard to replace a QB. It is hard to replace a star RB. It is hard to replace a star WR. It is really hard to replace 3 starting O-Linemen. You guys had to do all of that this season.

All of those things considered, your offense is pretty darned good. Still, when the fans are thinking that any season that doesn't end with a national championship is a bust, pretty darned good might not be good enough for some.

derek4tide

Hall of Fame
Jan 19, 2005
Daphne, AL
I agree - this has really hurt your offensive production this year. It is hard to replace a QB. It is hard to replace a star RB. It is hard to replace a star WR. It is really hard to replace 3 starting O-Linemen. You guys had to do all of that this season.

All of those things considered, your offense is pretty darned good. Still, when the fans are thinking that any season that doesn't end with a national championship is a bust, pretty darned good might not be good enough for some.
So true. I am not one of those. I still enjoyed the 2010 season even though we lost 3. Having experienced the 80s Tide on campus and the DuBose era, the Price joke, Fran's debacle and the Shula years, the Saban era is a blessing, plain and simple. 3 NCs in 7 years can make many spoiled.

Mystical

All-American
Sep 28, 2009
Fairhope, Alabama
I agree we go through this every year it's the gift and the curse of recruiting the best of the best. Not sure if we have ever had a better group of Seniors although. Ragland and Reed are great. Great may be selling those two short.

BAMAVILLE

Moderator (FB,BB,REC)
Staff member
Jan 9, 2014
Thinking the polls is setting up to ensure that us as a one-loss team would get in if we win out. I know the committee will chose who they think but to have a resume that we pretty much ran the table with the hardest schedule this season with only one loss will speak volumes.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
I never said that they won't lose just that the rational odds are against us. I highly think any sane person said isu was going to beat okie lite, so I stick with my assessment that unless someone just gets those teams they have pretty favorable schedules.
Wiliest explained it better than I. The rational odds are against Alabama, but not in the way you seem to think. The odds are Alabama will lose again, not that those other teams will go undefeated. He explained it fairly simply, just because you have a 90% chance of winning all your games on and individual basis does not mean you have a 90% chance of going undefeated. So you can say no sane person would think Iowa State was going to beat them and you'd probably be right (though I watched the game cheering for Iowa State). But, a sane person could conclude they would probably lose, which they did. There's a big difference, and your way of viewing things might reflect why some people deal poorly with losses. Losses are an inevitability in football, they will happen. There are too many random variables, so you can be a better team, yes even a better coached team and all that and go out and lose.

So, for your sake let's say every team you listed has a 90% chance to win every single one of their games (which is a darn good chance, too generous really). Ok, now start to really do the math, and you start to see they have a 10% chance to lose, on each of their remaining games... believe me, if Alabama wins out the "rational odds" weigh heavily in Alabama's favor. They almost certainly would get into a playoff.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Wiliest explained it better than I. The rational odds are against Alabama, but not in the way you seem to think. The odds are Alabama will lose again, not that those other teams will go undefeated. He explained it fairly simply, just because you have a 90% chance of winning all your games on and individual basis does not mean you have a 90% chance of going undefeated. So you can say no sane person would think Iowa State was going to beat them and you'd probably be right (though I watched the game cheering for Iowa State). But, a sane person could conclude they would probably lose, which they did. There's a big difference, and your way of viewing things might reflect why some people deal poorly with losses. Losses are an inevitability in football, they will happen. There are too many random variables, so you can be a better team, yes even a better coached team and all that and go out and lose.

So, for your sake let's say every team you listed has a 90% chance to win every single one of their games (which is a darn good chance, too generous really). Ok, now start to really do the math, and you start to see they have a 10% chance to lose, on each of their remaining games... believe me, if Alabama wins out the "rational odds" weigh heavily in Alabama's favor. They almost certainly would get into a playoff.
Maybe and maybe not.

CHATTBRIT

Hall of Fame
Dec 3, 2003
Falling Water, TN
You know that I don't like UM, but they have now shut out 3 opponents in a row. That is pretty impressive.
So very true. The media has waited a long time for Meechigan to begin playing Div 1 football again that we will be so fed up hearing Meechigan this and Meechigan that, if we aren't already. I know the media doesn't like Bama much -- we keep winning but fall down the polls each time! While our offense is still a work in progress, special teams & the D are really good. Nuff said.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.