aTm and TN coming off bye weeks. Will it matter?

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Thank you. I suspected that since OSU seems to be struggling. Well, I guess it goes with fandom.
It goes with being the defending champion. As we know all too painfully, it's a lot easier to get to the top than it is to stay there.

Egos (coaches and players), fan expectations, talking heads and ink-stained wretches, conspire to weigh you down. tOSU benefits from having maybe three regular season games for which they must be emotionally ready in order to win.

mikes12

All-American
Nov 10, 2005
Chattanooga, TN
It's still bad, but not as bad as it was some years ago.

We are definitely facing a murderers' row over the next few games. A&M after bye, Tennessee after bye, LSU after bye (we get our bye there, so that one can be a wash), then MSU does a Thursday night game for a few extra days of prep/rest.

I remember commenting back then how it was typical NCAA insanity for there to be rules limiting how many pages a media guide could have, while the bye week disparity provided real on-field advantages.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
The article that I linked earlier seems to suggest that a bye only helps if you are the underdog in a game. Where teams are fairly evenly matched, there is no advantage (statistically).

So, assuming that the aTm/Alabama game is between fairly matched opponents, no edge to aTm.

Since TN is clearly not your equal - slight edge to TN for having that bye. Not enough for it to matter, IMO.

There was no information about scenarios in which both teams have a bye but Alabama seems to do just fine against LSU and you both have had byes many times in the last few years, so I would say that this game is going to be about the same things that it is always about (controlling the LOS).

BamaFlum

Hall of Fame
Dec 11, 2002
S.A., TX, USA
I do like the Big 12 scheduling. Get you OOC games done, get a bye some where in there, and then all the conference games. Nobody gets an advantage.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.