Steve Sarkisian Asked to Take Leave of Absence (Update: Fired)

TideFan in AU

Hall of Fame
Re: Steve Sarkisian Asked to Take Leave of Absence

Pat Haden inherited a gigantic mess when he took over as the USC AD........and he has managed to make the mess even worse.
It's been reported that he did and Haden was aware of it when he was hired.
At least we know all the guys on the Playoff Committee are good at making decisions and stuff...

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa

Here's another rumor:

‏@InsideUSC
BREAKING: Some #USC assistant coaches believed Steve Sarkisian was drunk during the Arizona State game on Sept. 26.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa

At least we know all the guys on the Playoff Committee are good at making decisions and stuff...
I think they were overly taken with his Rhodes Scholarship and erudite delivery. Those traits impress mightily, but don't always translate into formulation and execution of strategy.

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL

Did he have similar problems at Washington? I wonder if the USC job has increased his stress level and this is his coping mechanism.
Speaking from experience as a recovering addict and the father of one four years in recovery, addiction is about emotional and/or physical pain. All relief from the substance you abuse, as you said, is only a temporary way to cope. It simply "masks' the need to address the real problem. It is only when you address the root cause of the problem (anxiety, depression, anger, resentment, fear, insecurity, emotional immaturity, etc.) that a person can be healthy AND happy.

I pray for Sark. I know the depths of the misery he must be experiencing and what his family must be going through. I hope he learns what most of us with addictions finally have to learn: "Life on life terms is not so bad."

Acceptance is the answer....

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al

BREAKING: #USC assistants pulled Steve Sarkisian out of player huddle on sideline during Arizona State game. Believed he was not sober

Last edited:

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL

BREAKING: #USC assistants pulled Steve Sarkisian out of player huddle on sideline during Arizona State game. Believed he was not sober
Not surprising for an alcoholic/addict. Nor was his denial and rationalization of his behavior at the preseason pep rally by blaming it on " mistakenly mixing prescription drugs and alcohol' and "I don't think I have an issue". Would be willing to bet he did realized he had a problem long before that happened. Just didn't want to admit it or accept it.

Last edited:

gtowntide

All-American
Mar 1, 2011
Memphis,TN.

I'm also a recovering addict with 29 years of sobriety. The most important thing in my recovery was my getting tired of fighting the addiction and everything involved with it. If coach Sarkisian doesn't think he has a problem, then rehab likely won't work for him. He is self medicating for some reason and he needs to address it and want to get help.
I pray that he faces his addiction.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net

Holy crap, this is bad. Genuinely hope he gets help, but he needs to be gone - the players (in fact the program in general) deserves better.

CHATTBRIT

Hall of Fame
Dec 3, 2003
Falling Water, TN

I have nothing but compassion for Coach Sark and his family. If alcohol is the root of his problem, then he is severely affected as is his family, friends, and work associates. I pray he gets the help he needs. I pray his family get the help they need.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama

Holy crap, this is bad. Genuinely hope he gets help, but he needs to be gone - the players (in fact the program in general) deserves better.
Well step 1 is obviously let him go, but step 2 needs to be getting rid of Pat Haden which that shouldve been done last year with his sideline crap, and possibly done on the way he fired Kiffin. I know some people dont find Kiffin in high regard, but you cant deny that Haden shouldve gone about it like Mal went abou getting rid of Shula. Mal Moore was probably the best modern day AD in how he quickly handled the Mike Price situation and Shula firing, and even if he didnt land Saban I would probably say that.

I really hope Sark gets help and is successful in the future.

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL

He needs to get help but USC has to remove him from his job. The players deserve better.
I think that depends on a couple of things. How severely has he damaged the program? Is it irreparable? Has he damaged the players, staff, administration and university to the extent they cannot recover, forgive and move on? If he does seek treatment, get help, work a program of recovery, will it remain as "cloud of suspicion" over him while there? Those things can't be answered by you or I. It can only be answered by the ones he has damaged or harmed.

Believe me. My addiction did tremendous harm to family and friends. My wife had no good reason in the world to stay with me. And if my family and friends would have chosen to be done with me, I had no one to blame but myself. Lucky for me, they chose to stick by me. And in August we celebrated our 30th anniversary. We are closer today as a husband, wife and family than we ever have been. And I thank God every day for it was grace, goodness and forgiveness that I did not deserve.

Bottom line: As I tell addicts and alcoholics I work with all the time in sponsorship, Sark doesn't control the decisions from this point. He is responsible for the consequences of his actions regardless of his intent. All he can do is admit to the damage caused, say it was his fault, and do whatever it takes to make it right. And sometimes there is NOTHING you can do to make it right because the party or problem can't be amended.

And that is part of acceptance and surrender.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net

I think that depends on a couple of things. How severely has he damaged the program? Is it irreparable? Has he damaged the players, staff, administration and university to the extent they cannot recover, forgive and move on? If he does seek treatment, get help, work a program of recovery, will it remain as "cloud of suspicion" over him while there? Those things can't be answered by you or I. It can only be answered by the ones he has damaged or harmed.
If an employee shows up to work drunk, they have shown the inability to control their actions - I don't have to wait for them to cause damage to avoid that risk.

All my opinion, but I've seen this movie too many times to allow my business (or in this case, the university's AD - which is a much larger business than mine, in reality) to be damaged by those actions.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS

I feel for the guy. Nobody say's, "You know what, think 'll get hooked on this, that, or whatever".
It just happens, sadly.
Honestly, to me, this sounds more like cocaine than alchohol, but I have no idea.
I don't feel sorry for USC though. Not with the way Haden fired Kiffen.
sip

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.