Steve Sarkisian Asked to Take Leave of Absence (Update: Fired)

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
The money part of this is going to be interesting.

Normally, an employee can't be fired for having a disease, as alcoholism is now defined. But if reports that Haden knew about suspicious incidents at Washington are true, there might be a provision in his contract. Regardless of what is or isn't in what contract or law, there's millions of dollars at stake.

But we may never know how it's resolved, because USCw is a private school. Unless there's a provision in California law (and given the left coast's propensity to do weird things with the law, there could very well be), they don't have to disclose anything to anybody if they don't want to.

Seems like for every observation of what's normal, there's a, "Yeah, but..." out there.

Any legal eagles have informed opinions on this?

TRU

All-SEC
Oct 3, 2000
Tampa, FL
Too bad he was not coaching down on the Plains. Pat Dye's closest advisor has always been Black Jack Daniels and he is still running the football program down there.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
The money part of this is going to be interesting.

Normally, an employee can't be fired for having a disease, as alcoholism is now defined. But if reports that Haden knew about suspicious incidents at Washington are true, there might be a provision in his contract. Regardless of what is or isn't in what contract or law, there's millions of dollars at stake.

But we may never know how it's resolved, because USCw is a private school. Unless there's a provision in California law (and given the left coast's propensity to do weird things with the law, there could very well be), they don't have to disclose anything to anybody if they don't want to.

Seems like for every observation of what's normal, there's a, "Yeah, but..." out there.

Any legal eagles have informed opinions on this?
You are serious? People think alcohol is the same as cancer? What a weird world I now live in.

alabama mike1

All-American
Jul 12, 2013
Ohio
The most important thing is for Sarkisian to get his life in order. Alcohol problem, going through a divorce, 3 kids and getting fired...time to get help.

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
You are serious? People think alcohol is the same as cancer? What a weird world I now live in.
The subject of the disease state model is widely debated in the medical community to this day. The AMA and DSM V classify alcoholism as a dual diagnosis of medical disease (chemical changes within the neurotransmitters in the brain-ie: "The Broken Brain Theory) and a psychological disorder with an emotional root cause.

The largest debate has always been "lack of will power/lack of self control/moral weakness" as the cause. However the disease state model clearly recognizes the "brain changes" that take place after some period of time of alcohol use/abuse where the physical craving takes control.

The research published recently by the University of Virginia (longer term treatment follow up) seems to support the disease/dual diagnosis model. Also research seems to point historically to a strong genetic predisposition to alcoholism/addictive disorders.

The biggest criticism of the disease theory is that it removes the responsibility of behavior from that of the patient to the healthcare professional/system. And that is a very real issue.

So is alcoholism caused by lack of will or self control? Without question, a conscious decision is made to participate in the behavior initially.

But you can also say that about other diseases where a conscious decision leads to the disease. For example, in many cases Type II diabetes is caused by inability of patients to control/moderate what they consume.

And it will be debated by the medical community and others long after you and I are dead and buried.

Last edited:

theballguy

Hall of Fame
Nov 5, 2012
Roll Tide Roll, Colorado USA
The subject of the disease state model is widely debated in the medical to this day. The AMA and DSM V classify alcoholism as a dual diagnosis of medical disease (chemical changes within the neurotransmitters in the brain-ie: "The Broken Brain Theory) and a psychological disorder with an emotional root cause.

The largest debate has always been "lack of will power/lack of self control/moral weakness" as the cause. However the disease state model clearly recognizes the "brain changes" that take place after some period of time of alcohol use/abuse where the physical craving takes control.

The research published recently by the University of Virginia (longer term treatment follow up) seems to support the disease/dual diagnosis model. Also research seems to point historically to a strong genetic predisposition to alcoholism/addictive disorders.

The biggest criticism of the disease theory is that it removes the responsibility of behavior from that of the patient to the healthcare professional/system. And that is a very real issue.

So is alcoholism caused by lack of will or self control? Without question, a conscious decision is made to participate in the behavior initially.

But you can also say that about other diseases were a conscious decision leads to the disease. For example, in many cases Type II diabetes is caused by inability of patients to control/moderate what they consume.

And it will be debated by the medical community and others long after you and I are dead and buried.
It's somewhat unique among diseases in that it is something you consciously decide to do, yet you can't help but make the wrong decision in most cases. Many years ago I sought help at AA because I knew something wasn't right. I couldn't enjoy life without a drink. I thought everything that got in the way of drinking was what was wrong. I was the victim here. Now, if this sounds like insanity, it's because it IS. Alcohol does change your mind's make-up. You can't make the right decisions anymore. The booze becomes the boss. The only thing an alcoholic can choose at that point is to go get help. He/she may not get the help needed *perfectly* or execute *perfectly* but over time of changing your habits, you can actually begin to choose to *not* drink when things come up. Many of you will never understand this and thank God for that. Only CSS can decide if he's an alcoholic or problem-drinker or what have you but man I am glad for his sake this happened. I hope he doesn't have to go any further down before coming back up. God bless him and help him.

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
It is going to take someone that can work for a "micro-manager" like Pat Haden. Don't see CKS at that position.

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
It's somewhat unique among diseases in that it is something you consciously decide to do, yet you can't help but make the wrong decision in most cases. Many years ago I sought help at AA because I knew something wasn't right. I couldn't enjoy life without a drink. I thought everything that got in the way of drinking was what was wrong. I was the victim here. Now, if this sounds like insanity, it's because it IS. Alcohol does change your mind's make-up. You can't make the right decisions anymore. The booze becomes the boss. The only thing an alcoholic can choose at that point is to go get help. He/she may not get the help needed *perfectly* or execute *perfectly* but over time of changing your habits, you can actually begin to choose to *not* drink when things come up. Many of you will never understand this and thank God for that. Only CSS can decide if he's an alcoholic or problem-drinker or what have you but man I am glad for his sake this happened. I hope he doesn't have to go any further down before coming back up. God bless him and help him.
The question is "Is this his jumping off point?" where he realizes "clean up or be locked up or covered up"?

Something tells me no. It seems to me that if he had agreed to treatment, USC would have waited some time to cut him loose. I have a feeling he said no and they said "good bye".

Hope I'm wrong.

theballguy

Hall of Fame
Nov 5, 2012
Roll Tide Roll, Colorado USA
The question is "Is this his jumping off point?" where he realizes "clean up or be locked up or covered up"?

Something tells me no. It seems to me that if he had agreed to treatment, USC would have waited some time to cut him loose. I have a feeling he said no and they said "good bye".

Hope I'm wrong.
I tend to agree but I am always hopeful he eventually will get help. Showing up to a work function drunk is *not* normal. He definitely has some kind of problem. I hope he chooses to seek help.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I'm not sure where USC goes but I don't think that Kirby Smart will get on that plane to go West. I don't think he has the right kind of personality for that program...seems kinda low-key, get-the-job-done type not Pete Carroll or John McKay (who even a younger guy like me knows a half dozen of his quotes to the media).

I'm not so sure that Pat Haden may be asked to leave after this one...so that whole scenario reeks for a new coach. Definitely not the place to make your stop for the first big gig. A guy like Chip Kelly would at least be big enough to weather whatever happens with the AD. A new HC like Smart would be doesn't have the weight behind his name to be the new AD's "guy" through thick or thin.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
It is going to take someone that can work for a "micro-manager" like Pat Haden. Don't see CKS at that position.
That assumes Haden stays, LD. I'm not at all convinced he will survive this.

My money's on Chip Kelly. He's a fish out of water on at least three fronts: a spread coach in the NFL. He has a highly paid QB (read: Bradford won't make eight figures to sit on the bench) who is wholly unsuited to run his offense, and he's a west coast guy in Philadelphia.

I think USCw is a perfect fit. Shoot, the way Oregon is going, he may end up back there.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.