Steve Sarkisian Asked to Take Leave of Absence (Update: Fired)

Matt0424

All-American
Jan 16, 2010
Hoover, Al
A couple of things.

I think this is the right move by USC, and I think they should follow it up by making a change at AD. Hayden is an unmitigated disaster.

Now, I once said that Chip Kelly would be the next Texas head coach. I think Strong threw a kink into the plans with his win Saturday, and I'm not so sure if he hasn't turned the corner.

I think USC is definitely going to wait around to see if Kelly is interested though. If the Eagles continue with the inconsistency, he'll be looking for a ticket back to college. USC is a much better fit for him as well.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
The subject of the disease state model is widely debated in the medical community to this day. The AMA and DSM V classify alcoholism as a dual diagnosis of medical disease (chemical changes within the neurotransmitters in the brain-ie: "The Broken Brain Theory) and a psychological disorder with an emotional root cause.

The largest debate has always been "lack of will power/lack of self control/moral weakness" as the cause. However the disease state model clearly recognizes the "brain changes" that take place after some period of time of alcohol use/abuse where the physical craving takes control.

The research published recently by the University of Virginia (longer term treatment follow up) seems to support the disease/dual diagnosis model. Also research seems to point historically to a strong genetic predisposition to alcoholism/addictive disorders.

The biggest criticism of the disease theory is that it removes the responsibility of behavior from that of the patient to the healthcare professional/system. And that is a very real issue.

So is alcoholism caused by lack of will or self control? Without question, a conscious decision is made to participate in the behavior initially.

But you can also say that about other diseases where a conscious decision leads to the disease. For example, in many cases Type II diabetes is caused by inability of patients to control/moderate what they consume.

And it will be debated by the medical community and others long after you and I are dead and buried.
Growing up my Dad was an alchoholic & literally would be drunk every night of the week, when my Mom finally got fed up with his BS & divorced him, he quit cold turkey & never took another shot of it..That told me alcoholism is a choice & not a disease or it was with my Dad..

JPT4Bama

Hall of Fame
Aug 21, 2006
Hoover, AL
Re: Steve Sarkisian Asked to Take Leave of Absence

I'm guessing Kevin Sumlin or maybe even Chip Kelly if Philly doesn't pan out would be approached. I could not see USC hiring an assistant but who knows?
For sure Gus won't be getting a "please stay" raise.

Alabama22

1st Team
Aug 3, 2010
Alabama
Well, I've always liked Sarkisian for some reason. I don't care for USC and Pat Haden. Hope and pray Sark can pull himself together for his and his family's future. Very sad situation.

Last edited:

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.