Florida loses Will Grier for at least this year

TideMom2Boys

Hall of Fame
Nov 17, 2010
Alabama
Only problem would be if the post above is right, and they knew about the situation and still let him play, for me that would be a HUGE mistake!
In that instance it could become a forfeiture, if the NCAA decides that the UF people knew!
You're dealing with the NCAA here so NO-ONE should presume anything...
Worst case scenario would be vacate not forfeit. Ole Miss will still have the loss counted.

BamaBuc

All-American
May 12, 2003
St. Pete Beach, FL
crimson-fan.neocities.org
What's changed since 70 years ago (teenage boys serving in WW2)? 100 years ago (kids started working in their teenage years)?
Why is it a problem now? I know the studies about brain development, but at what point do they need to man up, except responsibility for their actions, learn from the consequences, and move on with their lives.
They really don't have to now - the Government will bail them out of 99% of any trouble they get in...

G8RNGA

3rd Team
Dec 6, 2014
I wonder if the schools test for all NCAA banned substances or just illegal drugs...any schools, not specifically UF.
Good question. Not sure. But, he would have been tested by the NCAA several times before now as a student athlete and since his arrival In early 2014. It's why the bulking theory doesn't fit, unless it can be demonstrated that he bulked between the period of the last test to the most recent. Still, the university has been transparent and has said he gained 20 pounds. Hardly a bulking. I've seen players add muscle mass (not using banned supplements) and a 20 pound gain that made people take notice. I'm sure you have at Bama.

Last edited:

BamaBuc

All-American
May 12, 2003
St. Pete Beach, FL
crimson-fan.neocities.org
Sure, take my example and use it as if I speculated or assumed that is what he took. I never said that is what he took. I've tried to present the facts and also haven't said he wasn't wrong in what he did. I haven't offered an opinion to go against the facts - unlike you.

My only opinion is that the crime doesn't fit the punishment and that
the NCAA needs to modify how it doles out suspensions
. Illegal substances are illegal. This wasn't reported as taking an illegal substance. A mistake was made, he owned up to it, and he should be suspended. How long he is suspended is where I struggle. I'd even be fine with the remainder of the season, but a full calendar year is a bit harsh.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Now that really is a JOKE! :rolleyes:
The NCAA isn't quite as bad as the NFL but it's really a close second!
You needed to put that in blue font...

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
Just got caught up a bit on the thread. Good to see you here again G8RNGA.....was wondering where you were.

FWIW....I'm looking forward to having Treon as our QB going forward. He's proven to be very good under pressure and with our improved coaching staff and offensive package this season he should do just fine.

It's indeed a shame that Grier got himself in this jam but he has to own it. I hope he uses it as motivation to be a better/smarter person going forward.

Things were going so well this season for Florida....you had to wonder when something would happen to spoil the party.

Going to be interesting to see how the rest of the season goes....

G8RNGA

3rd Team
Dec 6, 2014
Just got caught up a bit on the thread. Good to see you here again G8RNGA.....was wondering where you were.

FWIW....I'm looking forward to having Treon as our QB going forward. He's proven to be very good under pressure and with our improved coaching staff and offensive package this season he should do just fine.

It's indeed a shame that Grier got himself in this jam but he has to own it. I hope he uses it as motivation to be a better/smarter person going forward.

Things were going so well this season for Florida....you had to wonder when something would happen to spoil the party.

Going to be interesting to see how the rest of the season goes....
Hey Bazza! Yeah, I have to admit that work got in the way and I occasionally lurked around here. I can't agree with you more. I certainly don't think the season is lost and it wouldn't surprise me to see us finish as well (on paper) as we were going to with Grier. Just a really dumb move on his part, but I still believe it was an honest mistake. I have to remind my nephew who is a huge fan that at the end of the day these are still kids. I think at times people forget that. I made stupid mistakes between 18-21 and so now we know he's human.

For those who don't follow this team, the players were actually more respondent to Treon at the beginning of the season and Grier had to earn their trust as a leader. I couldn't agree with you more about him and the coaching staff and believe they will put him in the best position to succeed if he executes it to plan. There are 10 other guys on offense that will want to prove that one guy does not a team make!

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
Getting mad at other fans who actually wish that this had never happened to Grier isn't helping you or anyone else. Just because we don't buy his story doesn't mean that we wanted this to happen or are in any way celebrating its occurrence.
Exactly. He wanted to whine about me not believing Grier a few pages earlier and now he agrees. Go figure.

Season is ruined? Wow.
Don't know if you can consider it "ruined" but it's probably safe to say y'all have no chance at the East now.

The university provided the official link of banned drugs at NCAA.org/sites/default/files/2014-15%20Banned%Drugs%20Educational%20compliance.pdf

I thought I'd share.

Even dietary supplements, including vitamins and minerals,...may cause a positive drug test result.

What is crazy is that they even state there is no complete list.
And yet he has people there strictly for his nutrition free of charge to talk to and/or ask about certain supplements and he did not do so. That tells me enough. You can believe his charade if you want but I think I'll skip.

Nope. But I believe in coach Mac and that he knows how to use the QB given - example McElroy.
McElroy and Treon Harris are on two different ends of the QB ladder.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Don't know if you can consider it "ruined" but it's probably safe to say y'all have no chance at the East now.
i think it will be florida or kentucky (maybe) that ends up in atlanta this season. if florida wins the lsu or uga game, i think they are pretty much in. even if they lose to lsu and uga, uga will have to win out in their sec schedule to back in to the game with a tie breaker.

G8RNGA

3rd Team
Dec 6, 2014
i think it will be florida or kentucky (maybe) that ends up in atlanta this season. if florida wins the lsu or uga game, i think they are pretty much in. even if they lose to lsu and uga, uga will have to win out in their sec schedule to back in to the game with a tie breaker.
UF has a two game lead up on everyone in the East. If they lose to LSU, it would take 2 more losses from SEC teams to not go to Atlanta. They have UGA, Vandy, and USCe. Not sure how they lose to Vandy or USCe - not with this coaching staff and UGA doesn't scare anyone right now.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
UF has a two game lead up on everyone in the East. If they lose to LSU, it would take 2 more losses from SEC teams to not go to Atlanta. They have UGA, Vandy, and USCe. Not sure how they lose to Vandy or USCe - not with this coaching staff and UGA doesn't scare anyone right now.
And UF "wasn't scaring anyone" last year when UF beat UGA. I wouldn't pencil in any wins..

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
well, if you lose to lsu and georgia and georgia wins the rest of their sec games, then you lose the tie breaker with them. if you lose to lsu and uga, and kentucky wins out, they go.

i don't think its even going to be a question as georgia will likely lose to florida and at least one of the kentucky/mizzou/barn games they have left. and i don't see kentucky ending the season with one sec loss, they still have 5 sec games to go.

so at least in my mind, y'all are a shoo-in

Last edited:

G8RNGA

3rd Team
Dec 6, 2014
Exactly. He wanted to whine about me not believing Grier a few pages earlier and now he agrees. Go figure.

And yet he has people there strictly for his nutrition free of charge to talk to and/or ask about certain supplements and he did not do so. That tells me enough. You can believe his charade if you want but I think I'll skip.

McElroy and Treon Harris are on two different ends of the QB ladder.
I think my comments were not interpreted correctly. So I'll try to explain.

1. I believe Grier and nowhere did he say he didn't take a banned substance or that he didn't know. Granted, he didn't check with the medical staff ahead of time, but let's not make assumptions about the product. I wrote that I don't condone what he did (which means I'm not stating he didn't take a banned substance without stating so). Somehow what I wrote was misunderstood. So help me understand where I changed my view. "What" he took is purely speculative because the university student policy is to not disclose that information. There are items on that list that won't turn a person into a bodybuilder or make them a better QB. We don't know what he took. And on his weight gain, that was also addressed by the university and it was 20 pounds in something like 18 months.

2. As to not going to play for the East. UF would have to lose 3 SEC games or to LSU and UGA. After LSU they play UGA, Vandy, and USCe - hardly a scare out of any of those. Grier wasn't the star on that team. They really don't have one. Mac has done a good job of creating plays from guys who were on the roster last year. I trust he'll come up with a game plan that matches Treon's strengths. For all that Grier did, he did it in a few quarters of a few games and still looked young in the pocket. The defense helped and they are still there. So are the other ten guys on offense.

3. My "whine" was to only post facts that are available and not jump to conclusions without knowing the entire story. He's a good kid, but he's a kid. What he did was wrong. He is suspended. I just don't agree with the term limit. That is my opinion.

As an aside, I'm not one to base quick judgements on people and feel that people should be given the benefit of doubt - especially when we know zip about this incident other than what was mentioned in the press conference and what the university provided in the blog link - not what the media wrote or social media said about what someone's brothers, cousins, friend on campus overheard in the cafeteria.

Cheers.

Last edited:

G8RNGA

3rd Team
Dec 6, 2014
I've read where some say "I don't believe him (Grier)". What exactly did he say that would make anyone discredit what he said. The video is out there and his comments are public. Coach Mac said "he made an honest mistake", but Grier apologized for taking a banned substance and said he didn't check with the medical staff. He never said "I didn't know what I was taking". Is it that he was disingenuous in his apology? It's been said that he volunteered to come forward to address the media and that no one asked him to do that. Just curious what was dishonest.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.