Florida loses Will Grier for at least this year

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I don't get the big deal about PEDs...if people want to hurt their body long term to be big enough to play football then by all means go ahead brother.

As for steroid era baseball, when everyone was cheating then nobody is cheating.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I don't get the big deal about PEDs...if people want to hurt their body long term to be big enough to play football then by all means go ahead brother.
So it wouldn't bother you if Bama played teams that all used anabolic steroids, making them bigger and stronger than our guys? The only choice is to be at a disadvantage or to harm your own body just to keep up.

That's a stupid choice to have to make.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I'm looking at it at the micro-level and not the macro-level. You've got a point but I think my point is more or less about the moralizing of the matter. Who cares? Let the guy ruin his body if he wants to...

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I don't get the big deal about PEDs...if people want to hurt their body long term to be big enough to play football then by all means go ahead brother
My concern is the age of these guys. Studies have made it clear that people below the age of 25 simply cannot process consequences adequately. I hate the thought of a country to tries to control too much, but we really do need to help young people who are incapable of weighing the consequences when making this kind of choice.

BamaBuc

All-American
May 12, 2003
St. Pete Beach, FL
crimson-fan.neocities.org
Without Grier they are going to be in deep do do against LSU. Probably the end of their Cinderella season.
Personally I don't think so, they still have Harris, (he has started 7 games for them from last year to this year).
I don't think it's that big, especially for the LSU game, who really gave them a solid chance to win that game, definitely not me.
With Harris filling in for Grier I don't see much of a drop off, with their 'D' after LSU I don't see anyone else beating them.
Yes I think they will drink Champagne in JAX Town...and they have the 'Noles in Gainesville...
If they come together like I think Coach Mac will get them to do, they'll be in Atlanta on Dec. 5th.....

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
My concern is the age of these guys. Studies have made it clear that people below the age of 25 simply cannot process consequences adequately. I hate the thought of a country to tries to control too much, but we really do need to help young people who are incapable of weighing the consequences when making this kind of choice.
and yet we let them make massive decisions on so many other things where do you draw the line? Is it worse to let a kid go through a 6 week steroid course or take out $200K in loans that will follow him for the rest of his life?

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
and yet we let them make massive decisions on so many other things where do you draw the line? Is it worse to let a kid go through a 6 week steroid course or take out $200K in loans that will follow him for the rest of his life?
Not worse - just as bad. Same kind of absurdity.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
The NCAA has both a legal and moral obligation to protect the health of its athletes. Banning PEDs is part of that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BamaFlum

Hall of Fame
Dec 11, 2002
S.A., TX, USA
What's changed since 70 years ago (teenage boys serving in WW2)? 100 years ago (kids started working in their teenage years)?

Why is it a problem now? I know the studies about brain development, but at what point do they need to man up, except responsibility for their actions, learn from the consequences, and move on with their lives.

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
I don't feel sorry for Grier. I heard his story and so called apology but this is what he makes it out to be:

"Ol poor me went to GNC and bought a supplement without letting my coach know or letting whoever handles nutrition on this team (probably quite a few folks) that I started something new"

The real story:

"I got caught and now using the overused excuse of it was over the counter and I didn't know, sorry!"

The conclusion:

With a university like Florida there is NO TELLING how many nutrition people he has access to not to mention someone to give them or overlook the supplements needed to help gain weight and things like that. So instead of using all of that FOR FREE, he goes to GNC (or whatever idiotic place) and "supposedly" buys a supplement that had whatever triggered the positive for PED in it. Now see how stupid this story sounds? He didn't check up on it either. Who takes stuff without getting on Google, etc. these days to see what "bad" things you see about the drug, supplement, etc.??? Or should I believe he had no smartphone while at GNC either?

This kid is an idiot for using PED's and he got caught plain and simple and now has to pay the price. He gets no pity from me.

I do hate this for Coach McElwain though as he was easily SEC Coach of the Year until this because UF will be lucky to go 3-3 to finish the season instead of fighting for the SEC Title.

G8RNGA

3rd Team
Dec 6, 2014
I don't feel sorry for Grier. I heard his story and so called apology but this is what he makes it out to be:

"Ol poor me went to GNC and bought a supplement without letting my coach know or letting whoever handles nutrition on this team (probably quite a few folks) that I started something new"

The real story:

"I got caught and now using the overused excuse of it was over the counter and I didn't know, sorry!"

The conclusion:

With a university like Florida there is NO TELLING how many nutrition people he has access to not to mention someone to give them or overlook the supplements needed to help gain weight and things like that. So instead of using all of that FOR FREE, he goes to GNC (or whatever idiotic place) and "supposedly" buys a supplement that had whatever triggered the positive for PED in it. Now see how stupid this story sounds? He didn't check up on it either. Who takes stuff without getting on Google, etc. these days to see what "bad" things you see about the drug, supplement, etc.??? Or should I believe he had no smartphone while at GNC either?

This kid is an idiot for using PED's and he got caught plain and simple and now has to pay the price. He gets no pity from me.

I do hate this for Coach McElwain though as he was easily SEC Coach of the Year until this because UF will be lucky to go 3-3 to finish the season instead of fighting for the SEC Title.
It helps when people have facts before jumping to conclusions and assuming the worst in people. The university has already stated it wasn't the drug first reported. The list of drugs on the list banned by the NCAA include many OTC medicines used to help the common cold. The guy bought an OTC at GNC, not an illegal substance. It would seem the university and the coach believe the penalty doesn't fit the crime and that is why they hope to appeal at least to allow the timeframe to be this season. If a player smokes pot, he's given a one game suspension. Take an OTC cough medicine that may have an embedded ingredient listed on the NCAA banned list and it's a calendar year suspension. I'm not condoning what Grier did and agree with the coach that he had a medical staff that should have reviewed the contents first, but let's not burn a KID at the stake for taking something that may be a simple product to help his flu recovery. Regardless, the punishment doesn't fit the the crime. I'm sure you never made a mistake or a bone-head decision while you were between the age of 18-21.

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.