Florida loses Will Grier for at least this year

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Considering the athletic association tests each quarter, I would have thought anything illegal would have showed up. Afterall, he's been on campus for more than a year (he redshirted last year) and taking these same urine tests.
I'm not sure what you're saying here - are you suggesting the NCAA test quarterly?

Division I Institutions
 Every Division I institution will be drug tested at least once each academic year. An institution may be selected for testing more than once each academic year.
 If your institution sponsors football, at least 26 student-athletes will be tested, 18 from football and 8 from at least one other sport.
There are players of DI football that are NEVER tested by the NCAA. Assuming this isn't Grier's first NCAA test is an Olympic-level leap to conclusions.

If the school is testing, there's a very good chance it's only for street drugs - that's the most common test given by DI schools.

G8RNGA

3rd Team
Dec 6, 2014
I'm not sure what you're saying here - are you suggesting the NCAA test quarterly?

There are players of DI football that are NEVER tested by the NCAA. Assuming this isn't Grier's first NCAA test is an Olympic-level leap to conclusions.

If the school is testing, there's a very good chance it's only for street drugs - that's the most common test given by DI schools.
Nope, I was meaning the institution and you're probably right that it's only for street drugs. Perhaps he just was not one of the chosen tested over the last 18 months. Don't know.

G8RNGA

3rd Team
Dec 6, 2014
Meh - the father said nothing new. He says that he knows the facts, but he will not elaborate on what his son took or how he could not have known that it was not allowed. Sounds a lot like G8RNGA.
Thanks, Bazza for including that article. I had heard about it, but not read it until now.

No, I'm not Chad Grier but I do believe him and his son. The thing is, even if or when Will decides to tell what it really was and what happened most won't believe it. The cynical perspective from the unbelievers won't go away and instead will only continue to further their objective.

Maybe it's because I worked for over 20 years in an environment with 18-21 year olds and have raised two kids who are well past that age today, but I would rather see things with the view that there is always more than one side to the story and if I don't have all the information, don't automatically condemn and assume.

I think this part of Chad's story states the same and why I agree with him:
"Unfortunately, crisis brings out the worst in others. It’s disappointing to see the comments of those all too happy to kick a young man who has just had his life turned upside down and vilify him as if he intentionally did something wrong. I’m sure most of those folks are generally good people and just see it as having fun at someone else’s expense and in a twisted way supporting their own team. Others just troll looking for something or someone to hate on. I doubt that many of these people stop to think what that would feel like if it were happening to their own son."

Last edited:

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
My point was that the father released a statement in which he said nothing new - nothing. All he did was express his concern about what people were saying about his son. We would expect that from a father, but it adds nothing to this discussion.

His son took something. Neither he nor his son will tell us what he took. His son gained a lot of weight in a short period of time. But we should just trust the son that this was all just an innocent mistake. That requires a level of blind acceptance that only a loved one (or FL fan) would be willing to extend.

His son could have cleared this up immediately in his presser by coming clean and telling everyone exactly what he took. He chose this route. So, if we doubt him, it is because he chooses to hide the specifics and ask us to "just believe".

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
B1G - I didn't post the article to provide specific information - just to add context to the situation.

I think it does add context, but I understand it may not provide what you're looking for.

It's not a "released statement", BTW. It's an article.

G8RNGA

3rd Team
Dec 6, 2014
My point was that the father released a statement in which he said nothing new - nothing. All he did was express his concern about what people were saying about his son. We would expect that from a father, but it adds nothing to this discussion.

His son took something. Neither he nor his son will tell us what he took. His son gained a lot of weight in a short period of time. But we should just trust the son that this was all just an innocent mistake. That requires a level of blind acceptance that only a loved one (or FL fan) would be willing to extend.

His son could have cleared this up immediately in his presser by coming clean and telling everyone exactly what he took. He chose this route. So, if we doubt him, it is because he chooses to hide the specifics and ask us to "just believe".
So, a crazy question but I feel I need to ask: if Grier came forward and said what he was popped for, but that doesn't explain what some believe (including you) to be the explanation for his weight gain, would it change how you feel or would you continue to doubt his honesty in making a mistake?

Last edited:

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Thanks, Bazza for including that article. I had heard about it, but not read it until now.

No, I'm not Chad Grier but I do believe him and his son. The thing is, even if or when Will decides to tell what it really was and what happened most won't believe it. The cynical perspective from the unbelievers won't go away and instead will only continue to further their objective.

Maybe it's because I worked for over 20 years in an environment with 18-21 year olds and have raised two kids who are well past that age today, but I would rather see things with the view that there is always more than one side to the story and if I don't have all the information, don't automatically condemn and assume.
Yet, you appear to only see the one side of the story that benefits your team rather than discussing all possibilities. Do you see how that comes across?

So, a crazy question but I feel I need to ask: if Grier came forward and said what he was popped for, but that doesn't explain what some believe (including you) to be the explanation for his weight gain, would it change how you feel or would you continue to doubt his honesty in making a mistake?
There are three options when dealing with crisis management:

First option is the easiest due to our human nature/pride/ego -- Deny, deny, deny, deny, deny, and deny some more while hoping the truth is never revealed.

The second tends to be best but most difficult -- Be completely honest. As WG addressed the weight gain? If not, he could take that step unless he's trying to tell part of the story. Do a Q&A with a media outlet not related to the Florida athletic program in order to avoid any thought of bias in telling the story.

The third appears to be what WG is doing right now -- Keep your mouth shut until your case is heard. In his particular case, he is wise to not say anything else until the NCAA hears Florida's appeal to reduce the suspension to just the 2015 season instead of the entire calendar year. Similar to how an attorney in many legal proceedings will tell a client to keep his/her mouth shut until the court case, I figure Florida's legal team has told WG and Mac to keep their mouths closed or give general "We're waiting on the NCAA to hear our appeal. No further comment."

G8RNGA

3rd Team
Dec 6, 2014
Yet, you appear to only see the one side of the story that benefits your team rather than discussing all possibilities. Do you see how that comes across?

There are three options when dealing with crisis management:

First option is the easiest due to our human nature/pride/ego -- Deny, deny, deny, deny, deny, and deny some more while hoping the truth is never revealed.

The second tends to be best but most difficult -- Be completely honest. As WG addressed the weight gain? If not, he could take that step unless he's trying to tell part of the story. Do a Q&A with a media outlet not related to the Florida athletic program in order to avoid any thought of bias in telling the story.

The third appears to be what WG is doing right now -- Keep your mouth shut until your case is heard. In his particular case, he is wise to not say anything else until the NCAA hears Florida's appeal to reduce the suspension to just the 2015 season instead of the entire calendar year. Similar to how an attorney in many legal proceedings will tell a client to keep his/her mouth shut until the court case, I figure Florida's legal team has told WG and Mac to keep their mouths closed or give general "We're waiting on the NCAA to hear our appeal. No further comment."
Because I would rather not judge or jump to conclusions, I'm only seeing one side? No, I'm asking folks to see all sides and not paint it black. I'm not saying he's innocent but yet that's what some think I'm stating. He's guilty. Two thoughts continue to arise:

1. The weight gain in the eyes of the public is questionable, therefore it's assumed it must be associated with that.

2. The fact that he hasn't mentioned what it was to the public seems to point to public distrust. People feel the need to know.

I agree with your second section and feel it's not the appropriate time. They may never release the what.

DollarTaker

Suspended
Jul 17, 2015
Destin, FL
I know if I would have ever failed a pee test when I played baseball in college, I would have said what otc supplements I took in the first sentence of a press conf. This guy does not even look mad at the fact he did nothing wrong and has to sit for a year. He can't even look the camera in the eye when he mumbles out he is sorry. Now with his dad starting to run his mouth, he is probably in on what his kid took and the poor guy had no idea what he was taking. This is just the start of this story, just wait until TMZ sports or some of those other news outlets start get into the mix.

Gr8hope

All-American
Nov 10, 2010
Meh - the father said nothing new. He says that he knows the facts, but he will not elaborate on what his son took or how he could not have known that it was not allowed. Sounds a lot like G8RNGA.
Yes but he is his father and I wouldn't expect anything less. Different than blind support from a fan.

derek4tide

Hall of Fame
Jan 19, 2005
Daphne, AL
I know if I would have ever failed a pee test when I played baseball in college, I would have said what otc supplements I took in the first sentence of a press conf. This guy does not even look mad at the fact he did nothing wrong and has to sit for a year. He can't even look the camera in the eye when he mumbles out he is sorry. Now with his dad starting to run his mouth, he is probably in on what his kid took and the poor guy had no idea what he was taking. This is just the start of this story, just wait until TMZ sports or some of those other news outlets start get into the mix.
That's what I noticed, as well. I am trained to read body language and that kid's was not good. He knows what he did, he got caught and now he feels like crap. I hate it for him, but rules are rules and he knew them. If the kid played at Bama, I would be saying the same thing. smh

Gr8hope

All-American
Nov 10, 2010
Is it possible they are not saying what he took for fear of a law suit from the producer? Legal experts?

I am NOT defending Grier, the rules are the rules and the NZAA is blatantly unfair in its determinations of what matters. Many teams have suffered worse fates, I'm just joining the conversation.

G8RNGA

3rd Team
Dec 6, 2014
Thanks for the perspectives to my last question. It helps me understand how the public is responding. I'm not a blind fan choosing to overlook what occurred, just trying to remain open that it (substance) could be somewhat innocent for those of us outside of being a student athlete who would use it and yet it's on the banned list so he is wrong regardless.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Because I would rather not judge or jump to conclusions, I'm only seeing one side? No, I'm asking folks to see all sides and not paint it black. I'm not saying he's innocent but yet that's what some think I'm stating. He's guilty.

Two thoughts continue to arise:

1. The weight gain in the eyes of the public is questionable, therefore it's assumed it must be associated with that.

2. The fact that he hasn't mentioned what it was to the public seems to point to public distrust. People feel the need to know.

I agree with your second section and feel it's not the appropriate time. They may never release the what.
1. You've already posted the UF Q&A release to help answer some questions. In that release, we see he took a banned substance. His weight gain raises some eyebrows, so people naturally connect those dots.

2. Again, complete honesty up front is the best way to ease all speculation. I understand why he isn't talking, but it's natural for people to wonder and speculate on what he took.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
1. You've already posted the UF Q&A release to help answer some questions. In that release, we see he took a banned substance. His weight gain raises some eyebrows, so people naturally connect those dots.

2. Again, complete honesty up front is the best way to ease all speculation. I understand why he isn't talking, but it's natural for people to wonder and speculate on what he took.
I think that this is it exactly. I wish no ill will for Grier. But if left to draw my own conclusions, I am going to draw the most obvious one.

If he isn't talking because of the appeal, fine - but I am still left to draw my own conclusions. I actually hope, for his sake, that this is about taking a banned supplement. The impact on his career and life could be far worse if he tested positive for some of the other drugs that the NCAA tests for.

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
Because I would rather not judge or jump to conclusions, I'm only seeing one side? No, I'm asking folks to see all sides and not paint it black. I'm not saying he's innocent but yet that's what some think I'm stating. He's guilty. Two thoughts continue to arise:

First, let me say that l, as well, have worked with many 18-25 year olds in counseling, plus I am the father of two.

Most people formulate opinions and judgments based on past experiences. And given the report of the significant weight gained followed by a positive test for PED's simply makes that, based on most experiences, the most logical and simplest assumption to make.

Having worked with many in similar circumstance to WG I will say this emphatically and unquestionably: People lie. Not saying WG is lying. I'm saying that I've seen far too many in his circumstance lie, and based on my experiences, I take what he says with a very large grain of salt. And IF WG is lying, it is NOT saying he is an awful person. Most in his situation are dealing with three very important emotions: embarrassment, guilt, and shame. And those three emotions make being completely truthful very difficult. It is a defense mechanism.

WG is a smart kid. We live in an information age, yet he had little or no idea of what he was taking? Most 18-25 y/o in the gyms these are "walking pharmacopeias" when it comes to illegal prescription drugs and non prescription supplements. And they know what is questionable and what isn't. WG is surrounded by nutrition and conditioning experts. I'm certain Coach Mac and his staff have counseled players on numerous occasions about ban substances. A simple caveat: If you don't know what's in it, don't take it. It never crossed WG's "gray matter" to simply ask? That is a very difficult leap in logic to make.

Would I like to believe WG? Certainly. I don't want any kid punished for making a mistake he was not aware he was making. But you're asking to me to look at something that looks, walks, and quacks like a duck and, then set aside almost everything logic and experience tells me, and say "well maybe it isn't a duck."

As far as WG's father is concerned, I fully expected for him to believe and back his son. Most parents do. We love our kids and expect them to be truthful. However when placed in a difficult circumstance, people many times choose denial, rationalization, and deflection because it makes the situation much less painful to deal with (temporarily). Our kids have "feet of clay" like the rest of us.

I know this first hand. My son wouldn't do that. "This has to be a mistake." Not my son. "He wouldn't lie".

Wrong....wrong....wrong. And it almost killed him.

And no, I'm not cynical. I'm just realistic.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
There's word going around that at least one other player on UF has tested positive for PEDs. Maybe that's why the same team from last year is so much better this year..

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.