Week Seven Game Week Thread (Interviews, Press Conferences, Practice Reports)

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
From College Station:

"First off, they're big." - A&M HC Kevin Sumlin on Alabama defensive front.
"it's hard to argue that they're not (the best defense in the country)." - Sumlin on Alabama defense
"Are we more physical? Yes. We'll find out if it's enough on Saturday." - @CoachSumlin
"Their front seven is one of the best in the country. We know the task at hand." - A&M OC Jake Spavital
A&M OC Jake Spavital: "We're a completely different team, mentally and physically light years ahead of where we were last year."
Spavital: Ricky could play a big role [vs. Bama]. Brings a mismatch and can run and jump and is blocking. He doesn't get credit he deserves.
A&M DC John Chavis on Alabama challenge: "They do a good job with their offense. It has a lot of moving parts."
Chavis says the most impressive thing about Alabama offense is how well they utilize and execute the screen game.
Chavis on Alabama's Jake Coker: "He's gotten better and better. He operates their system really, really well."
"We're going to do what we do. They'll (Bama) know what we're going to do, too, because we're not going to change." - A&M DC John Chavis
"Hopefully, with our scheme, we'll create some one-on-one situations." - Chavis when asked about Myles Garrett v Cameron Robinson
A&M DC John Chavis when asked if he gets a little more excited to face Alabama: "I hate to admit it, but...yeah."
Aggie WR Josh Reynolds: "Alabama is always going to have a great defense but we're not the same team that we were last year."
Aggie QB Kyle Allen on last year's Bama loss: "We felt like a high school team playing a college team."
A&M QB Kyle Allen: "Since then, we've learned how to win in this league."
A&M CB Brandon Williams on Alabama's Calvin Ridley: "They're comparing him to Amari Cooper and I think that's a good comparison.

Last edited:

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Cyrus Jones 1st game at CB for Alabama was 2 years ago vs Texas A&M "I grew up a lot that day, let's just put it that way," he said, smiling
Cyrus Jones said the team has talked abt him possibly shadowing a WR vs TAMU, but their pace of play makes it tough 2 match up on every down

Last edited:

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
How many times can players and coaches at tamu say, "we're not the same team as last year." ????? LOL
I agree. I have yet to see a spread team that is physical and can consistently win at the LOS. Being one dimensional (meaning aTm won't be able to run the ball) greatly tilts the advantage towards the defense. Just depends on how much are pass rush and secondary will hold up..

uaintn

All-American
Aug 2, 2000
franklin, tennessee, usa
How many times can players and coaches at tamu say, "we're not the same team as last year." ????? LOL
Good point. I actually think they were a better team than they showed in BDS last year. But I figure that the big talking point for Summlin this week is that these are totally different teams on both sides of the ball and sidelines.

The nightmare scenario that he has to guard against is that we get the ball first and score, maybe mostly by hard running, they take a three and out or a turnover or something, and suddenly we are moving the ball again and the ghosts of last year start to creep in to their heads "Not this again".

I don't actually see that scenario happening, especially with them having had a week off, but he is a good enough coach to think about guarding against them getting boat raced again.

If I'm Summlin, I want to move heaven and earth to get early points on the board and get Alabama in catch up mode -- try to turn it into a track meet with our defense on the field for a lot of snaps. I noticed the line had moved several places to Alabama -4.5. The O/U is varying between 47 and 52.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Aggie QB Kyle Allen on last year's Bama loss: "We felt like a high school team playing a college team."
A&M QB Kyle Allen: "Since then, we've learned how to win in this league."
since then, they have learned how to win in this league.

after bama last year, they beat auburn by 3, lost to lsu, lost to mizzou, beat arky in overtime and beat miss state.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Saban on the Coaches' Teleconference:

Nick Saban on SEC Coaches Teleconference: Jim McElwain is just a good solid person. He's got good character.
Saban: Texas A&M has made more of a commitment to run the ball. That's created more balance for them and made them tougher to defend.
Saban: "They've got two really tough pass rushers to single block on the edges, which always can cause issues in the passing game."
Saban: Texas A&M is the quickest team we've played. They have the best skill players we've faced.
Saban: Running the ball consistently is key to being a good red zone offense. We haven't been able to run it consistently down there.
Saban has not seen the Bielema/Cam Robinson video. Said Cam told him "I got blocked, got up and pushed a guy."
Saban says that doesn't know and doesn't care about who shot the video, when asked if it looked like it came from parabolic mic operator.
Saban basically putting the Cam Robinson-Bret Bielema incident to bed. "Hasn't seen the video" and doesn't "care about it."
Saban says that Spurrier is one of the best CFB coaches over a long period of time. Not always in great situations, but made them better.
Saban ends his time on the call by praising Steve Spurrier. Said he'll miss the Head Ball Coach
Saban asked if he could made a comment: Steve Spurrier is one of the best college football coaches over a long period of time.

Last edited:

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
Since it will probably be asked:

TW- Tim Williams
RE - Rashaan Evans
JA - Jonathan Allen
DT - Dalvin Tomlinson
DP - DJ Pettway
DH - Da'Shawn Hand
RR - Reggie Ragland

Thanks - I was trying to work that out and then figured I'd scroll down to see is someone already had.

bama579

Hall of Fame
Jan 15, 2005
The Chukker or Archibalds
BOL says Anfernee Jennings is working with TEs. If he has the speed and hands to play LB, maybe he can also help at this position. Haven't seen nearly as much from Ty F-S as I hoped.

Last edited:

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
BOL says Anfernee Jennings is working with TEs. If he has the speed and hands to play LB, maybe he can also help at this position. Haven't seen nearly as much from Ty Holmes as I hoped.
Seems like we've been tinkering with this position for two years now with no solid answer. Brandon Greene - OT/TE, Jonny Dwight - DE/TE, Dakota Ball DE/TE. Hale Hentges played last week early on against Ark, I think in the first series. All this while we've got OJ in there, and it seems like FLournoy-Smith only appears every so often...

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.