Keys to Winning the Game Saturday

Mystical

All-American
Sep 28, 2009
Fairhope, Alabama
We need to hit their defensive ends early and often to keep them from having stamina to get to Coker. Those guys are pretty good. I hope we run at them and Henry hits them hard all night.

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
If we do win, the story on ESPN will be - "I guess TA&M is not as good as we thought they were......." smh
Derek, I'd take those headlines and never get on the plane. But if we beat A&M, I'll buy the first round for the entire board if the "Bama is coming on strong" story line doesn't carry the day.

fundytide

1st Team
Oct 22, 1999
Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Interested to see what it is like against a QB who can move around a bit...that was the typical breakdown the last few years: coverage was there initially, pressure doesn't finish the QB off, play extends and a guy wiggles open past the sticks or deep.
I agree with you. The differences this year, I think, are that our front four is getting more pressure, our linebackers have much better speed, range and depth and we are better in coverage in the secondary (in scheme and execution). Let's hope that's enough to stop the broken play nightmares we've seen in recent years.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
And that is a good point too...our MOF safety and ILBs are doing a better job of managing the stuff between the hashes which is the other big weakness on 3rd down: quick hitters over the middle to a slot receiver or TE.

I cannot deny that we're seemingly improved in a lot of areas defensively but TAMU is the ultimate test of this season: do we have enough versatility to contain a potent spread, hurry up team while still being strong against pro-style, run-heavy like UGA and Arkansas. I think we did well overall against Ole Miss, they scored 24 points off quick-change, short field (thanks special teams and offense) and 13 points off bad beats. TAMU has more run-pass balance though, so it is a more valid test on the defense.

dvldog

Hall of Fame
Sep 20, 2005
Virginia
Not too concerned with our D. Offensive execution/consistency ( 3rd down conversion; sustained drives) and red zone execution (getting TDs vice FGs) are key.

fundytide

1st Team
Oct 22, 1999
I'm interested to see how Coach Kiffin deals with their speed rush DEs. I'm guessing we will go with a combo of more two TE sets and slip Henry and Drake out for short passes. I wonder, too, if Drake gets a few more carries since he seems to get to the hole faster than Henry which is critical against speed rushing DEs.

bama579

Hall of Fame
Jan 15, 2005
The Chukker or Archibalds
I'm interested to see how Coach Kiffin deals with their speed rush DEs. I'm guessing we will go with a combo of more two TE sets and slip Henry and Drake out for short passes. I wonder, too, if Drake gets a few more carries since he seems to get to the hole faster than Henry which is critical against speed rushing DEs.
This makes lots of sense to me. How 'bout the more football-savvy folks? It is also a big plus - methinks - that our backs are good receivers.

Last edited:

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
The answer - to slow them down, you run right at them. This works at every level of football - if you have success with those rush attempts, they can't pin their ears backs as it totally opens up running lanes.

fundytide

1st Team
Oct 22, 1999
The answer - to slow them down, you run right at them. This works at every level of football - if you have success with those rush attempts, they can't pin their ears backs as it totally opens up running lanes.
Right. IIRC, this is what we did last year against Mizzou but I don't think we're as strong at FB this year (although we brought in Nysewander last Saturday to pave the way for Henry on the short TD in the 4th quarter). From what I've seen so far this year from Coach Kiffin, I almost expect to see a combo of jet screens and counter runs to freeze the DEs and LBs and get our RBs outside.

Maybe we'll see all three. Maybe this is the offensive identity this year- diverse and multiple.

dvldog

Hall of Fame
Sep 20, 2005
Virginia
Yep. Pull the house and put Henry behind it. Drake was actually more effective running up the middle vs Arky so a little of that also. Maybe more screens also.

Mke4Bama

All-SEC
Nov 21, 2006
Cullman (Good Hope)
That's how we attacked them last year, running straight at them to neutralize their speed. I'm also wondering if our big three hundred pounders on the D line play less and the speed guys take most of the snaps. That's the way I would attack them.

JustinT256

1st Team
Sep 21, 2015
Dayton, Ohio
Yep. Pull the house and put Henry behind it. Drake was actually more effective running up the middle vs Arky so a little of that also. Maybe more screens also.
I agree. After watching their game against MSU I noticed they used a TON of screens on third down. I don't think they'll have much success against us doing that though.

derek4tide

Hall of Fame
Jan 19, 2005
Daphne, AL
That's how we attacked them last year, running straight at them to neutralize their speed. I'm also wondering if our big three hundred pounders on the D line play less and the speed guys take most of the snaps. That's the way I would attack them.
They will see a great deal of Pettway and Williams coming at them and after them.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Not concerned about Defense. I think we can handle them. We just need to be more consistent on offense. Kiffin has to call better playcalling game. SO the key to win the game is not to use jet sweep plays. They're expecting that. The Screen game, I like how it presents different looks. Fake a pass to Drake, and ball goes to Ridley or Mullaney. With the Speed of A and M, I hope we'll see Howard more. Oh, On third downs, we gotta quit calling dumb plays.

Defense, we just have to take away their run game, and force us to beat us on Passing plays. Folks, we're a different team from last year defensive wise. We're lot better on 3rd downs.

Tiderollin32

All-SEC
Mar 12, 2012
I think our game plan will be similar to how we played against Georgia's edge rushers in Floyd and Jenkins. I would bet that we use Howard again as a decoy and he becomes an assistant to Cam in pass protections on third downs. Coker does pretty well when he isn't throwing off his back foot against the rush. I also agree that to keep A&M sidelined we need to establish running inside away from the edge rushers and pass early to not set us in 3rd in forever against those DE's. We do this and tell Coker to tuck and run if he being rushed rather than throw it away and we will win.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
Not concerned about Defense. I think we can handle them. We just need to be more consistent on offense. Kiffin has to call better playcalling game. SO the key to win the game is not to use jet sweep plays. They're expecting that. The Screen game, I like how it presents different looks. Fake a pass to Drake, and ball goes to Ridley or Mullaney. With the Speed of A and M, I hope we'll see Howard more. Oh, On third downs, we gotta quit calling dumb plays.

Defense, we just have to take away their run game, and force us to beat us on Passing plays. Folks, we're a different team from last year defensive wise. We're lot better on 3rd downs.
I agree and offensively would add that Jake needs to take every good opportunity to keep the ball, get those extra yards and avoid sacks, and hit the turf rather taking any unnecessary hits. A QB's ability to run for an extra 5-10 yards is a DC's worst fear.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.