Keys to Winning the Game Saturday

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
We still need the jet imo...it helps stretch the defense out a bit to maintain leverage on the sweep which opens up lanes in the middle for Henry.

I think that sometimes it is really on our jet guy...trying too hard to get to the edge when they probably ought to cut up field quick and get the small play for positive and effective yardage. More so when it is Drake who is a tailback that should be familiar with getting his pads low and nose dirty in the middle of the field...maybe not so much for the natural receivers.

fundytide

1st Team
Oct 22, 1999
Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
We still need the jet imo...it helps stretch the defense out a bit to maintain leverage on the sweep which opens up lanes in the middle for Henry.

I think that sometimes it is really on our jet guy...trying too hard to get to the edge when they probably ought to cut up field quick and get the small play for positive and effective yardage. More so when it is Drake who is a tailback that should be familiar with getting his pads low and nose dirty in the middle of the field...maybe not so much for the natural receivers.
Maybe that's what coach Saban was referring to when he said that Drake was trying too hard to hit a home run every play.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I haven't read the rest of the replies because there's no need to.

1) Run the ball
2) Stop the run
3) Win the turnover battle
4) Avoid stupid mistakes/penalties

That's all that's necessary - every game.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa

1) Run the ball
2) Stop the run

your brevity is a beautiful thing compared to my verbosity

tidefan39817

All-American
Jan 17, 2006
Bainbridge, Georgia
You do realize that we are ranked 12th nationally and 1st in the SEC in 3rd down conversion rate defensively, right? I get that we sucked in this department last year, but this year is different. A lot of it had to with the improved pass rush and shoring up the middle of the field.
I think he might have meant third down offense. that has been just sad this year. at this point I think a punt on third down at times is better than Coker throwing up a jump ball 40 yds downfield. that only works against us, not for us... :)

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
your brevity is a beautiful thing compared to my verbosity
And then there is "Score the most points!" :wink:

It's been referenced already, but I think our D is good enough to keep us in this game...but it will really come down to whether or not our offense can generate enough points. They'll score some points...we just need one more than them!

fundytide

1st Team
Oct 22, 1999
Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada

It's been referenced already, but I think our D is good enough to keep us in this game...but it will really come down to whether or not our offense can generate enough points. They'll score some points...we just need one more than them!
Three or four soul-crushing 7 minute drives for TDs would be really nice to see. It seems to me that we haven't had very many of those this year.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Three or four soul-crushing 7 minute drives for TDs would be really nice to see. It seems to me that we haven't had very many of those this year.
That'll work...but I'll take a quick 7 anytime too! :wink:

I really think our offensive effectiveness is the key to this game...getting points any way possible!

Throw in a defensive TD...scoop and score or pick six and it's just gravy...like with UGA.

But we better be prepared and we better be able to score 30+ points IMO.

uaintn

All-American
Aug 2, 2000
franklin, tennessee, usa
I agree with the idea of going right at their speed guys. Play calling needs to be consistent. At times this year (e.g. 2d quarter last Saturday) it's left me mystified. Arkansas seemed to have a good game plan until the end, when I wonder if their stupid head coach insisted on getting involved.

If we can manage not to turn the football over, I feel pretty good about this match up. In fact, I'll make that my key to the game.

I do worry about those rush ends getting to Coker in passing situations and either stripping the ball or forcing him to make one of those shot-put passes. Our D will play well, but we are going to have to put up some points -- just can't turn it into a track meet.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
[SUB]Here's why I'm optimistic and Just because both team played Arkansas may not always matter... but check this out, Arkansas Defense is pretty decent. They held A and M to 65 yards. But were able to rush against A and M for 232 yards. Now, Our Defense is lot better than Arkansas, so we can limit their running game to 70 yards or less. That's the goal. Take away their run game. Force A and M to throw early. We want Kyle Allen to try and scramble as much as he can, because he tend to fumble the ball a lot. I don't think he has faced real good defense to this date, so I think he'll struggle withour defense. We need to make sure Christian Kirk don't get the ball often. He's dangerous. I would expect us to put Cyrus Jones on him. I think We need to make Kyle Allen to throw under pressure. He takes lot of sacks, so just confuse Allen as much as we can, and We can try and get two turnovers at least and we'll be in good shape. I'm praying we won't need to bring down a safety down in the box. Foster has to cover TE better on some of the plays.

Offense- Jake Coker perform well when he's on the road. To give Jake the best opportunity, the OL and Receivers have to step up. Stewart must be consistent with catching the ball. Howard needs to be aggressive and get the ball coming his way. Mullaney needs to do whatever it takes to not get hurt. As I stated early, I am not a big fan of the Jet sweep, but If Drake can find a way to penetrate , then it'll help. We have to establish the run plays to get the play action going. OL has to protect him especially the left side. Coker is getting hammered a lot lately and it's going to wear him out. I think we'll go max protect couple of times in run game to help the OL a little. I don't know if Ridley will be double teamed... Stewart, Howard, Henry, Drake and Mullaney going to have to step up to keep the defense honest. I really think this Is the game to gauge how good we are on both side and where we measure up against them. We beat them... and we'll be back in Top 5.

[/SUB]

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al

I think Our offense is averaging over 35 points a game... Theyre averaging 32 points a game. I think we're capable of going up to 40 45 points, if needed. I don't think A and M has enough weapon to go over 40 points... Allen will make mistakes.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I think Our offense is averaging over 35 points a game... Theyre averaging 32 points a game. I think we're capable of going up to 40 45 points, if needed. I don't think A and M has enough weapon to go over 40 points... Allen will make mistakes.
I'm more concerned with the periods of offensive sleepwalking we go thru during part of games like the first three quarters last week.

If we do that against A&M and they score some early points we'll have to play from behind.

They're just not the team to fall behind to...probably worst on the schedule for this to happen against...

We need to score early and often and, if our D slows 'em down and they make some mistakes we'll be OK.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
I'm more concerned with the periods of offensive sleepwalking we go thru during part of games like the first three quarters last week.

If we do that against A&M and they score some early points we'll have to play from behind.

They're just not the team to fall behind to...probably worst on the schedule for this to happen against...

We need to score early and often and, if our D slows 'em down and they make some mistakes we'll be OK.
Naw, its not really the offense.. It's Kiffin. I've noticed that he can't find the rhythm of the offense, just can't go with flow... If we're pounding the ball all the way and then next series, he calls for a jet sweep, quick slant, then QB run? I think that's what CNS has been frustrated with Kiffin when it comes to the playcalling. lack of the feeling for the game. After the game this past weekend, Saban said and I quote: We weren't trying to establish the pass. We were calling running plays that had passes attached to them."

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Naw, its not really the offense.. It's Kiffin. I've noticed that he can't find the rhythm of the offense, just can't go with flow... If we're pounding the ball all the way and then next series, he calls for a jet sweep, quick slant, then QB run? I think that's what CNS has been frustrated with Kiffin when it comes to the playcalling. lack of the feeling for the game. After the game this past weekend, Saban said and I quote: We weren't trying to establish the pass. We were calling running plays that had passes attached to them."
I didn't hear his comments but don't you think he was talking about the jet sweep/forward pass that is an incompletion if they drop it?

I don't think CLK has suddenly forgot what's he's doing as much as we just have an offense that is not as dynamic as last year.

bamamc1

Hall of Fame
Oct 24, 2011
Haleyville, AL
Boys and Girls I am not nearly as worried about going there as I was when Johnny Football was still in town. I look for us to play well and get a win only to find out on Monday that everyone thinks that a&m was not that good. LOL and RTR

1) Run the ball
2) Stop the run

This!!

That's every game for us. I haven't seen anyone in LOOOONG time just beat Bama straight up. We have to have breakdowns in order for team to beat us.

FriscoKid

Suspended
Jul 15, 2014
That's probably not going to happen. He's very consistent. Kid doesn't make many mistakes.

Also, you don't need to stop the run to win this game. You need to contain Allen. Bring too much pressure and he will make you pay. He's not Manziel by any means, but he quick enough to get the job done. Iso coverage on Reynolds and he will make you pay. You should be more concerned about how Coker will respond in long yardage situations. Your key to success is running and running often. Try to get cute with play calling and it might hurt you. Our LBs have not figured out how to defend the run yet, but maybe Chavis can figure out how to get them in position with an extra week of prep. Our DBs are good, not great, but they are getting better each week. I think they are good enough against your passing game. Like I said on the other thread if A&M can stop the run then A&M will win by more than a TD.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.