Keys to Winning the Game Saturday

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
That's probably not going to happen. He's very consistent. Kid doesn't make many mistakes.

Also, you don't need to stop the run to win this game. You need to contain Allen. Bring too much pressure and he will make you pay. He's not Manziel by any means, but he quick enough to get the job done. Iso coverage on Reynolds and he will make you pay. You should be more concerned about how Coker will respond in long yardage situations. Your key to success is running and running often. Try to get cute with play calling and it might hurt you. Our LBs have not figured out how to defend the run yet, but maybe Chavis can figure out how to get them in position with an extra week of prep. Our DBs are good, not great, but they are getting better each week. I think they are good enough against your passing game. Like I said on the other thread if A&M can stop the run then A&M will win by more than a TD.
TAMU has yet to face a team ranked in the top 50 "Team Passing Efficiency Defense." The best is Mississippi State at #52 with a passing efficiency rating of 117.92. Bama is #11 with a rating of 98.52.

I'm not saying Bama's defense is about to make Kyle Allen look like a walk-on, but he hasn't played a defense like he's playing Saturday.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
That's probably not going to happen. He's very consistent. Kid doesn't make many mistakes.

Also, you don't need to stop the run to win this game. You need to contain Allen. Bring too much pressure and he will make you pay.
I appreciate the perspective, but that isn't how Alabama plays. They don't blitz much. They send 4 and get there. Allen will be hit on almost every passing play, and Alabama will only have sent 4. That means that they will have more men back defending those passing lanes than you are used to seeing AND Allen will have less time to make those plays.

Not saying that Allen isn't talented. He is clearly talented. But I just don't think that it will be enough without a real threat at RB.

FriscoKid

Suspended
Jul 15, 2014
I appreciate the perspective, but that isn't how Alabama plays. They don't blitz much. They send 4 and get there. Allen will be hit on almost every passing play, and Alabama will only have sent 4. That means that they will have more men back defending those passing lanes than you are used to seeing AND Allen will have less time to make those plays.

Not saying that Allen isn't talented. He is clearly talented. But I just don't think that it will be enough without a real threat at RB.
I have not watched enough of Bama to argue that with you, but the Ole Miss stats don't support that statement. Maybe they do drop more into coverage, but they were still giving up 10+ per catch.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
I have not watched enough of Bama to argue that with you, but the Ole Miss stats don't support that statement. Maybe they do drop more into coverage, but they were still giving up 10+ per catch.
using this stat to give you an idea of our pass defense is not going to give a very accurate picture.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
If you follow football, you understand that stats can be misleading. 139 of those yards came on 2 pass plays, one of which was illegal. And Alabama's defense was reeling the entire game because of the turnovers.

Yeah, you can't take away those passes, but if aTm's game plan is to beat Alabama by hitting a bunch of 70 yard TD passes, all I can say is Good Luck!

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
If you follow football, you understand that stats can be misleading. 139 of those yards came on 2 pass plays, one of which was illegal. And Alabama's defense was reeling the entire game because of the turnovers.

Yeah, you can't take away those passes, but if aTm's game plan is to beat Alabama by hitting a bunch of 70 yard TD passes, all I can say is Good Luck!
The kid can't answer you. I had had enough. From his remarks on his home board, he was baiting us. He wanted to go back and brag about being banned. We get a few every year. TAMU seems to turn out more than their share so far. He was going on stats read on line with OM and obviously hadn't a clue of what he was talking about, not having watched any of the game. IOW, he came off like an idiot...

JustinT256

1st Team
Sep 21, 2015
Dayton, Ohio
Marq Burnett@Marq_Burnett 6h6 hours ago
Cyrus Jones said the team has talked abt him possibly shadowing a WR vs TAMU, but their pace of play makes it tough 2 match up on every down

I 'm curious to what Cyrus meant by that....
Hmm.. That's interesting. I could maybe see him shadowing Christian Kirk. But that would probably do more harm than good. Minkah will probably be locked up on him more times than not.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Against Arizona State, you rushed for 178 yards and held them to 92. You ran and stopped the run. You were only -1 on the turnover margin.

I don't even consider stats obtained against Ball State or Nevada worthy of discussion (Ole Miss hung 70 on nobodies, it doesn't mean anything and the sooner a lot of fans of these track meet schools learn that, we'll all be better off)

Allen was 10 of 13 for 126 yards against Ball State.

Yeah, you hit 358 yards passing against Arkansas.....but Coker had 262 against the same defense. (In light of the fact we run a whole lot better than y'all do, I wouldn't be counting my chickens right now. You had a total of 27 more yards than we did and one more point......despite having TWO fewer turnovers.

Oh, and it took you the overtime, so there's 25 of the 27 yards and seven points.

Also, you don't need to stop the run to win this game. You need to contain Allen. Bring too much pressure and he will make you pay.
They all have a plan until that first turnover.

He's not Manziel by any means, but he quick enough to get the job done. Iso coverage on Reynolds and he will make you pay. You should be more concerned about how Coker will respond in long yardage situations.
Why are you assuming he's going to be in long yardage situations?

Your key to success is running and running often. Try to get cute with play calling and it might hurt you.
This is comical in light of your next comment...

Our LBs have not figured out how to defend the run yet,
Well then why in the world would we have to get cute with play calling if we're going to run right over you?

but maybe Chavis can figure out how to get them in position with an extra week of prep. Our DBs are good, not great, but they are getting better each week. I think they are good enough against your passing game. Like I said on the other thread if A&M can stop the run then A&M will win by more than a TD.
Are you aware that ATM has never beaten Alabama by a touchdown much less 'more' than one?

You know, three years ago it was Johnny Manziel. He was going to blow us out of the water. After getting spotted a 20-0 lead, he didn't do all that much and if not for some of the worst play calling I've ever seen, you lose that one.

Two years ago, same thing. He blows out to a 14-0 lead and turns his head and is down, 35-14. One more yard by Yeldon and the rout was secure.

Manziel certainly deserves credit for playing well in both games, but he lost one and he didn't put up his eye-catching 50 points in the other.

Last year, Kenny Hill was the latest in a long line of guys who were gonna put Alabama in their place. After all, he broke JM2's passing record in his first game.

59-0.

Now it's Kyle Allen. He went 3-2, but one of those wins was against ULM. My ex-wife coulda played QB at ATM and beaten ULM. Sure, he beat Arkansas, but Toledo beat the Hawgs and didn't need overtime to pull it off.

If we run, stop the run, and win the turnover battle and avoid stupid mistakes - we win. And if don't run and are stopped and lose the turnover battle and give up points on a short field and get flagged for a bunch of 15-yard penalties, we'll lose.

Don't be misled by the Ole Miss stats.

Ole Miss got an early FG because of an opening kickoff fumble at our own 17 (turnover).

They got their first TD thanks to an interception at the 26-yard line (turnover).

They got their second TD thanks to a fumble at the 18-yard line (turnover).

17 first half points, two from drives that BEGAN INSIDE the red zone. It's not like they drove on our defense for huge chunks of yardage.

Their first TD in the second half was the most ridiculous play of the year and the type of play they were fortunate at the outcome; even their own coach was ripping the QB for his awful throw despite the result.

They put together two decent drives and got two field goals. Then they hit what was an illegal play, but I'll give them credit for our defender leaving the guy open (we can argue the thing until the end of time but whatever).

Their pass stats are the result of two plays, one illegal and one that couldn't have been planned by Bill Belichick.
Their points stats are inflated by three easy turnovers - those 3 drives totaled 62 yards and netted 17 points.

Ole Miss didn't run, they didn't really stop our run but........BECAUSE of their winning the turnover battle and getting way out in front, we couldn't run like we would have normally.

One final note - Greyson Lambert looked like the next great thing until he found some adversity. I see Allen has two picks on the year. It kinda makes you wonder if he can keep his head if he throws two early.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Hmm.. That's interesting. I could maybe see him shadowing Christian Kirk. But that would probably do more harm than good. Minkah will probably be locked up on him more times than not.
I agree.. so, they were talking about swapping place with Minkah and Cyrus in slot... That would be interesting and may not even work. Only way I can see something like this... having Safety drop down to double coverage Kirk... But that would love Cyrus Jones alone a lot...

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Nailed it.
Against Arizona State, you rushed for 178 yards and held them to 92. You ran and stopped the run. You were only -1 on the turnover margin.

I don't even consider stats obtained against Ball State or Nevada worthy of discussion (Ole Miss hung 70 on nobodies, it doesn't mean anything and the sooner a lot of fans of these track meet schools learn that, we'll all be better off)

Allen was 10 of 13 for 126 yards against Ball State.

Yeah, you hit 358 yards passing against Arkansas.....but Coker had 262 against the same defense. (In light of the fact we run a whole lot better than y'all do, I wouldn't be counting my chickens right now. You had a total of 27 more yards than we did and one more point......despite having TWO fewer turnovers.

Oh, and it took you the overtime, so there's 25 of the 27 yards and seven points.

They all have a plan until that first turnover.

Why are you assuming he's going to be in long yardage situations?

This is comical in light of your next comment...

Well then why in the world would we have to get cute with play calling if we're going to run right over you?

Are you aware that ATM has never beaten Alabama by a touchdown much less 'more' than one?

You know, three years ago it was Johnny Manziel. He was going to blow us out of the water. After getting spotted a 20-0 lead, he didn't do all that much and if not for some of the worst play calling I've ever seen, you lose that one.

Two years ago, same thing. He blows out to a 14-0 lead and turns his head and is down, 35-14. One more yard by Yeldon and the rout was secure.

Manziel certainly deserves credit for playing well in both games, but he lost one and he didn't put up his eye-catching 50 points in the other.

Last year, Kenny Hill was the latest in a long line of guys who were gonna put Alabama in their place. After all, he broke JM2's passing record in his first game.

59-0.

Now it's Kyle Allen. He went 3-2, but one of those wins was against ULM. My ex-wife coulda played QB at ATM and beaten ULM. Sure, he beat Arkansas, but Toledo beat the Hawgs and didn't need overtime to pull it off.

If we run, stop the run, and win the turnover battle and avoid stupid mistakes - we win. And if don't run and are stopped and lose the turnover battle and give up points on a short field and get flagged for a bunch of 15-yard penalties, we'll lose.

Don't be misled by the Ole Miss stats.

Ole Miss got an early FG because of an opening kickoff fumble at our own 17 (turnover).

They got their first TD thanks to an interception at the 26-yard line (turnover).

They got their second TD thanks to a fumble at the 18-yard line (turnover).

17 first half points, two from drives that BEGAN INSIDE the red zone. It's not like they drove on our defense for huge chunks of yardage.

Their first TD in the second half was the most ridiculous play of the year and the type of play they were fortunate at the outcome; even their own coach was ripping the QB for his awful throw despite the result.

They put together two decent drives and got two field goals. Then they hit what was an illegal play, but I'll give them credit for our defender leaving the guy open (we can argue the thing until the end of time but whatever).

Their pass stats are the result of two plays, one illegal and one that couldn't have been planned by Bill Belichick.
Their points stats are inflated by three easy turnovers - those 3 drives totaled 62 yards and netted 17 points.

Ole Miss didn't run, they didn't really stop our run but........BECAUSE of their winning the turnover battle and getting way out in front, we couldn't run like we would have normally.

One final note - Greyson Lambert looked like the next great thing until he found some adversity. I see Allen has two picks on the year. It kinda makes you wonder if he can keep his head if he throws two early.

Rush

All-American
Jul 5, 2011
Ontario, Canada
I'm more concerned with the periods of offensive sleepwalking we go thru during part of games like the first three quarters last week.

If we do that against A&M and they score some early points we'll have to play from behind.

They're just not the team to fall behind to...probably worst on the schedule for this to happen against...

We need to score early and often and, if our D slows 'em down and they make some mistakes we'll be OK.

Well said, brother...

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
Pistol sets with a LOT of runs! Wear them down! Make sure we score every drive and if they match quickly then come out and do the same. That way we play their game against them, wear their D down by keeping them on the field CONSTANTLY.

I still want to see Bo get some carries!!

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Pistol sets with a LOT of runs! Wear them down! Make sure we score every drive and if they match quickly then come out and do the same. That way we play their game against them, wear their D down by keeping them on the field CONSTANTLY.

I still want to see Bo get some carries!!
I suspect that knee-wise and blocking scheme-wise, he's just not ready for more than garbage carries...

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
B1GTide does bring up a good point, I do believe our percentages for bringing 5 or more on a blitz has decreased a bit in 2015 compared to the past.

We blitz but I don't think our staff feels like they have to bring 5 or more just to get the ball out of the guy's hands quick. If we can affect Allen with 4 guys then we're in really good shape for the upcoming game. Some of our struggles with TAMU has been the lack of trust in our down four at creating effective pressure on the QB...if you blitz, they will burn you way more often.

ROTYDE

All-American
Nov 10, 2003
Muscle Shoals got the Swampers
B1GTide does bring up a good point, I do believe our percentages for bringing 5 or more on a blitz has decreased a bit in 2015 compared to the past.

We blitz but I don't think our staff feels like they have to bring 5 or more just to get the ball out of the guy's hands quick. If we can affect Allen with 4 guys then we're in really good shape for the upcoming game. Some of our struggles with TAMU has been the lack of trust in our down four at creating effective pressure on the QB...if you blitz, they will burn you way more often.
I agree, what I have seen is a increase in the number of balls batted down this year with players getting there hands up..

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Yep, we're still not exactly the elite "whoop you off the snap around the edge" kinda pass rush but our guys do a heckuva job of using their full set of skills to get at the quarterback. Batting balls and bull rush kinda go together.

dvldog

Hall of Fame
Sep 20, 2005
Virginia
Yep, we're still not exactly the elite "whoop you off the snap around the edge" kinda pass rush but our guys do a heckuva job of using their full set of skills to get at the quarterback. Batting balls and bull rush kinda go together.
I think we have a couple of guys that can and have whooped them off the snap but they enter the game on a situational basis. Concur that our "normal" front four has done a great job of impacting the QB on their own. Good stuff!

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Appears TAMU has played a couple of decent defenses but not one as stout as Alabama's. On the flip side, Alabama has played an offense just as explosive as TAMU in Ole Miss and lost by 7 points after turning the ball over 5 times.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.