Keys to Winning the Game Saturday

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Tomlinson/Allen/Robinson/Reed is the bullrush front...we've had T. Williams/Evans/Ragland all share time with their hand down for a rabbit rush package weak-side DE. I think the OLB coach saying "they don't think you can stop the rush" stuff was partly a tip that we may be looking to roll with a subpackage more freely this weekend and those guys are gonna be asked to muscle up and play run downs some.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Appears TAMU has played a couple of decent defenses but not one as stout as Alabama's. On the flip side, Alabama has played an offense just as explosive as TAMU in Ole Miss and lost by 7 points after turning the ball over 5 times.

Should also note TAMU has allowed 12 or 13 sacks (depends on where you look) this season. Alabama should be able to take advantage of that with speed guys like Williams and Evans.

Edward Aschoff wrote this about the game:

Sounds like some important games will be played down South this weekend.

ALABAMA

What we want to see: The Achilles' heel of a Nick Saban team and Kirby Smart defense? That would be a mobile quarterback. Texas A&M's Kyle Allen isn't the most fleet-footed QB, but he can make plays with his legs and scrambler Kyler Murray will play. CONTAIN!

What we'll see: A fun afternoon for this front seven. The Aggies' offensive line hasn't been great and Alabama owns one of the nation's defensive line/linebacker combos. A&M better be ready for quick passes.

CrimsonRuss

1st Team
Sep 30, 2015
We win if......
1. We don't commit foolish turnovers giving them a short field to work on.
2. Good OL play. To me this is our teams Achilles heel this year. If they come together an play the way their capable of were in good shape if not.....

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Pistol sets with a LOT of runs! Wear them down! Make sure we score every drive and if they match quickly then come out and do the same. That way we play their game against them, wear their D down by keeping them on the field CONSTANTLY.

I still want to see Bo get some carries!!
Maybe it's just me but I dislike running the ball out of the pistol. I don't have any stats to back it up but it seems as though Henry can get a head of steam and be more of a down hill runner in the I-formation or at least when the QB is under center..

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Maybe it's just me but I dislike running the ball out of the pistol. I don't have any stats to back it up but it seems as though Henry can get a head of steam and be more of a down hill runner in the I-formation or at least when the QB is under center..
The pistol is used because you can do almost anything out of that formation - you keep the defense guessing. I agree that a drawback is that runners like Henry can't get a head of steam going, but the advantages outweigh the disadvantages.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
The pistol is used because you can do almost anything out of that formation - you keep the defense guessing. I agree that a drawback is that runners like Henry can't get a head of steam going, but the advantages outweigh the disadvantages.
I agree to a point but it isn't a secret that Alabama is going to run the ball. I would like to see Alabama run the ball out of the most advantageous formation, especially against a team with a quick defensive line like aTm..

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I agree to a point but it isn't a secret that Alabama is going to run the ball. I would like to see Alabama run the ball out of the most advantageous formation, especially against a team with a quick defensive line like aTm..
In 2012, with that O-Line and group of TEs, it made sense. You didn't care if everyone in the stadium knew that you were running because they couldn't stop you. This season - not so much. When other teams have loaded the box, you have not been able to run. Solution - keep them from loading the box.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Seems like Jake works better in either the Pistol or Shotgun. The Pistol at least gives Henry a yard or two to begin to pick up some steam unlike in the Shotgun.

You mention TAMU's quick defensive line. There's an easy way to slow them down on the runs out of the Pistol. Just do this a few times.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
In 2012, with that O-Line and group of TEs, it made sense. You didn't care if everyone in the stadium knew that you were running because they couldn't stop you. This season - not so much. When other teams have loaded the box, you have not been able to run. Solution - keep them from loading the box.
Yea, but you can do the same thing with the QB under center. I'm not talking about bringing in a jumbo package, I'm simply talking about running the ball with the QB under center so that Henry can get a few steps going as he approaches the LOS. QB under center with 3 or 4 WRs puts the defense in (just about) the same situation as the pistol formation does. I could be wrong about this but I think the RB gets more depth when the QB is under center vs when the QB is in the pistol formation (relative to the QB's place on the field)..

Last edited:

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Seems like Jake works better in either the Pistol or Shotgun. The Pistol at least gives Henry a yard or two to begin to pick up some steam unlike in the Shotgun.

You mention TAMU's quick defensive line. There's an easy way to slow them down on the runs out of the Pistol. Just do this a few times.
I agree with that. I love that Coker has been running the ball more, some designed and some just because the play broke down. It's definitely a dimension that aTm will have to respect..

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Coker doesn't look like a natural when running the ball but he's got a pretty nice get-up when he's gotta go.

uaintn

All-American
Aug 2, 2000
franklin, tennessee, usa
Coker doesn't look like a natural when running the ball but he's got a pretty nice get-up when he's gotta go.
Yes. Jake is not the most, um, fluid runner in the world, shall we say. But he takes long strides, seems to have a good instinct for room to run in the open field, and isn't afraid to stick his nose in there.

I keep waiting for him to fake the hand off to Drake or Henry and keep it himself around end. If A&M's really good ends over pursue that play could go for decent yardage and keep them home the next time. It was there all night against Arkansas, but I don't recall him keeping it even once.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
I agree with RTR and others.. WE play better out of pistol formation. Coker has to do better job of reading the field. In the game where it was 3rd down, Coker missed the open man, Ridley on his left side of screen and that would've been easy Touchdown 14-0. I think when we're in red zone, we need to use Coker legs for that.

I expect us to run ball a lot.. Because 3rd and 4th quarter will be key, TAMU will be tired and we can take advantage of them with play action passes. Arkansas did great job against them, using lot of play action plays, and setting it up for run... I do expect TAMU to use screen passes a lot because theyre not gonna see middle of the field a lot.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
That's probably not going to happen. He's very consistent. Kid doesn't make many mistakes.

Also, you don't need to stop the run to win this game. You need to contain Allen. Bring too much pressure and he will make you pay. He's not Manziel by any means, but he quick enough to get the job done. Iso coverage on Reynolds and he will make you pay. You should be more concerned about how Coker will respond in long yardage situations. Your key to success is running and running often. Try to get cute with play calling and it might hurt you. Our LBs have not figured out how to defend the run yet, but maybe Chavis can figure out how to get them in position with an extra week of prep. Our DBs are good, not great, but they are getting better each week. I think they are good enough against your passing game. Like I said on the other thread if A&M can stop the run then A&M will win by more than a TD.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.