Keys to Winning the Game Saturday

snake plissken

1st Team
Apr 13, 2011
Birmingham
I believe this is our toughest test for the remainder of the regular season. Win this one and we are in good shape to win out.

We must run the ball and control the time of possession. We have to limit the amount of possessions for the A&M offense. They are weak on run defense and we must pound away and control the tempo. If we can do that and win the turnover battle, the game is ours.

tidegrandpa

All-American
I believe this is our toughest test for the remainder of the regular season. Win this one and we are in good shape to win out.

We must run the ball and control the time of possession. We have to limit the amount of possessions for the A&M offense. They are weak on run defense and we must pound away and control the tempo. If we can do that and win the turnover battle, the game is ours.
That's what we did in 2013 in CS against Johnny.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I think it comes down to a few things:

1. Prevent turnovers - we can't give a high-powered offense quick change opportunities.

2. 3rd down defense - It is almost a running joke how bad we are in 3rd and long situations. Allen isn't quite Manziel but he can extend the play for a pass if needed...we've gotta keep him in the pocket especially on 3rd down...the blitz has to make it there if we bring heat, 4 guys have to get it done if we don't.

3. Offensive efficiency - Our 2015 offense has been explosive though not always efficient with their possessions. I think efficiency - long drives that end in a TD - is the medicine needed to play in coordination with the defense which may have their biggest challenge of the season.

We need the offense to get going quick and the defense to have their best scouting job with all the drive stoppers they can muster. If this is a close game or one where we get behind a couple of scores early then I don't like our chances. The ideal scenario would be a similar type of onslaught to the UGA game where we get them down 3+ scores and force them to get out of their gameplan wrinkles and into stuff we have well scouted on them. Protect the dang football like it is your first born child as an offensive player...TAMU may lack in pure stopping power on defense but they make up for it with splash plays (sacks, strips, and interceptions).

64met

All-American
Oct 12, 2007
IMO this game hinges on the O Line. If we 'impose our will' we win

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
They jumped out to a 14-0 lead in that game. Without McCarron, I don't think we can survive in that situation.
We were blessed to have a senior quarterback in that scenario. We buckled down, stayed within the offense, and the QB was in the same mindset. A first-year starter may press in that situation. A two-time champion QB with a lot of big games under his belt probably won't.

I think it is imperative that we at least keep it close and ideally get out to an early lead to get Coker settled into the game while being protective of the football.

PA Tide Fan

All-American
Dec 11, 2014
Lancaster, PA
Pass defense and the play of Coker. Those are the two keys to most any game this season. If we defend the pass well and if Coker doesn't let the hostile crowd get to him we will win.

RWBTide

1st Team
Dec 8, 2013
Blue Half of Glasgow Scotland
As opposed to starting a new thread. There seems to be the potential for 3/4 to finish the regular season with identical records. If more than 2 teams finish tied, how does the tiebreaker work?

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

skrayper77

All-American
Sep 4, 2003
As opposed to starting a new thread. There seems to be the potential for 3/4 to finish the regular season with identical records. If more than 2 teams finish tied, how does the tiebreaker work?

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
3 or more teams tied, go through these steps until there's only 2 teams left:
Compare records within the same division (if all have 2 sec losses, but 2 of them have just 1 loss in the West, the team with 2 West losses drops off)
Compare combined records of East opponents (worst combined record drops off)
Coin Toss (if everything else is equal)
Keep doing this until 2 teams remain
Then, head-to-head

Snuffy Smith

All-American
Sep 12, 2012
Huntsville, AL
3 or more teams tied, go through these steps until there's only 2 teams left:
Compare records within the same division (if all have 2 sec losses, but 2 of them have just 1 loss in the West, the team with 2 West losses drops off)
Compare combined records of East opponents (worst combined record drops off)
Coin Toss (if everything else is equal)
Keep doing this until 2 teams remain
Then, head-to-head
Because their first loss is to an East team Ole Miss would hold the upper hand in a 3-way tie breaker of 2 loss teams.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

markenk

1st Team
Aug 3, 2003
England

1. Prevent turnovers - we can't give a high-powered offense quick change opportunities.

2. 3rd down defense - It is almost a running joke how bad we are in 3rd and long situations. Allen isn't quite Manziel but he can extend the play for a pass if needed...we've gotta keep him in the pocket especially on 3rd down...the blitz has to make it there if we bring heat, 4 guys have to get it done if we don't.

3. Offensive efficiency - Our 2015 offense has been explosive though not always efficient with their possessions. I think efficiency - long drives that end in a TD - is the medicine needed to play in coordination with the defense which may have their biggest challenge of the season.

We need the offense to get going quick and the defense to have their best scouting job with all the drive stoppers they can muster. If this is a close game or one where we get behind a couple of scores early then I don't like our chances. The ideal scenario would be a similar type of onslaught to the UGA game where we get them down 3+ scores and force them to get out of their gameplan wrinkles and into stuff we have well scouted on them. Protect the dang football like it is your first born child as an offensive player...TAMU may lack in pure stopping power on defense but they make up for it with splash plays (sacks, strips, and interceptions).
You do realize that we are ranked 12th nationally and 1st in the SEC in 3rd down conversion rate defensively, right? I get that we sucked in this department last year, but this year is different. A lot of it had to with the improved pass rush and shoring up the middle of the field.

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa

I think you nailed it. We will have our hands full come Saturday, but so will they. It should be a good ballgame. Roll Tide!

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa
Must do a better job protecting Coker. Myles Garrett is a monster and he has a buddy. The middle of the field though will be ripe for the takin. Drake, OJ, and Mulaney should have big gains. Also, Coker needs to be ready to tuck and run because it should be there all day long just like it was for Blake.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
You do realize that we are ranked 12th nationally and 1st in the SEC in 3rd down conversion rate defensively, right? I get that we sucked in this department last year, but this year is different. A lot of it had to with the improved pass rush and shoring up the middle of the field.
Interested to see what it is like against a QB who can move around a bit...that was the typical breakdown the last few years: coverage was there initially, pressure doesn't finish the QB off, play extends and a guy wiggles open past the sticks or deep.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.