Apparently the Head Ball Coach is hanging up his whistle.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
I've been thinking about this a bit, and I'm at a bit of a loss as to why he'd leave in the middle of the season. South Carolina is not a football power, they're far from one. Their place is more with the Kentucky, Vanderbilt, and Miss. States of the conference and generally you have to really stink things up for them to fire someone.

It seemed it was getting to be his time, but one would think South Carolina would do all they can to keep on the good side of arguably the best coach they've ever had. I wonder of that whole go play a home game at LSU thing ended up being the last straw? I'm not privy to any details, but if I was Spurrier I'd have preferred to play anywhere, but LSU for that game and it makes me wonder if there might have been some sort of argument along those lines. That or they just said it was his last year and he was like well screw you guys, I'm going home. Either way, this isn't how the best coach a school has had is supposed to end things.

RammerJammer14

Hall of Fame
Aug 18, 2007
UA
So the question is, what retired, former NC winning coach is USC going to go after next?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bamanut_aj

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2000
Spring Hill, TN
I've been thinking about this a bit, and I'm at a bit of a loss as to why he'd leave in the middle of the season. South Carolina is not a football power, they're far from one. Their place is more with the Kentucky, Vanderbilt, and Miss. States of the conference and generally you have to really stink things up for them to fire someone.

It seemed it was getting to be his time, but one would think South Carolina would do all they can to keep on the good side of arguably the best coach they've ever had. I wonder of that whole go play a home game at LSU thing ended up being the last straw? I'm not privy to any details, but if I was Spurrier I'd have preferred to play anywhere, but LSU for that game and it makes me wonder if there might have been some sort of argument along those lines. That or they just said it was his last year and he was like well screw you guys, I'm going home. Either way, this isn't how the best coach a school has had is supposed to end things.
He has always been told that he can leave on his terms. I think that changed in the middle of the season. My own uneducated and personal opinion is that he was told this will probably be his last season, and so he is actually taking it out on his terms and hanging it up now. That l or a health issue and I certainly hope it's not a health issue

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Just read this and am shocked that he would do this to his players in the middle of the season. I assume that he has his reasons, and I won't speculate as to what they may be. I'll just wish him well.

For USCe - I'll pull for them the rest of the season. Losing a head coach like Spurrier in the middle of the season is a whole lot tougher to overcome than losing a star player.

What a day in college football.

Mystical

All-American
Sep 28, 2009
Fairhope, Alabama
Spurrier won exactly the same number of SEC championships at USCe that Holtz did. Zero. I wish he had beaten auburn in 2010, but they got trucked.
True but he did so much more than Holtz. They actually at least won the East and 11 games. He was never going to win the SEC with the West being as tough as it is. Not to mention Alabama is in the West and we all know thats the greatest school of all time.

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa

Yeah, you would think he would want to finish the season since most people who are competitors seem to think finishing what you started is important.

Loam

All-SEC
Oct 20, 2014
The Ole Ball Coach is a legend, pioneer and an icon. Love him or hate him.

He'll be missed.

Loam

All-SEC
Oct 20, 2014
Spurrier is very opionated as we all know. My guess is the athletic director and him had words about how the season was going and he said if you don't like what I'm doing I'll head to the house and the ad may have took him up on it. Just my guess and just my opinion.
I think he realized he stayed a year too long and made a mistake by coming back this year. I don't think he was going to be fired. I think he knew what was best for SCAR and retired.

GeorgiaTider

All-SEC
Oct 30, 2005
I have never had an issue with him. I will miss his press conferences and sideline manner. He is and was good. I hope USCe gets a good coach and keeps the program running.

Bama Reb

Suspended
Nov 2, 2005
On the lake and in the woods, AL
CSS earned a reputation of always running a clean program. You never heard of shady goings on while he was head coach.
Imo that says a lot more about him as both a person and a coach than the number of trophies in a display case.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.