Apparently the Head Ball Coach is hanging up his whistle.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I don't know maybe he thinks that he is the problem. That's what I took from the interview with Rece tonight. Coaching is a strain at any level. You can say he's a quitter, but it takes a lot away from family life.
I couldn't care less - he knew that when he told those 85 young men he'd be their coach this year.

Again, he might be sick, but unless some new evidence comes out, he's no better than Fran. He quit.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Once again, as much as like Spurrier, he kinda set the precedent with that allowing Clowney to coast through his Senior year to be able to get to the league and get paid. Most people thought he more or less let Clowney play on his own terms when it benefited him instead of the best interest of the team. At the very least, that is the perception it gave most people, and perception is often reality.

It's hard to go back when you've already gone down that road.
Yup, he's quitting just like Clowney.

I've never considered myself a fan of Spurrier's, but I always respected him. However, that's changed - I don't respect a man who walks out on his team.

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
I couldn't care less - he knew that when he told those 85 young men he'd be their coach this year.

Again, he might be sick, but unless some new evidence comes out, he's no better than Fran. He quit.
Sometimes, it gets to a point where you just want to go home at the end of the day.

OreBama

All-American
Sep 26, 2005
Portland, OR
To me a coach and/or teacher is obligated to teach life lessons. Two of the most important are commitment and perseverance. Spurrier failed on both accounts IMO.
Maybe in the Ivory Tower that is true, but coaches are people too. People have said similar things about Coach Saban as well. Spurrier has been coaching for over 30 years. I call that perseverance.

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
I hope when I become detrimental to the lives of my students and players that I have the sense not to linger too long in the classroom due to foolish pride or a perception of class that doesn't exist.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I hope when I become detrimental to the lives of my students and players that I have the sense not to linger too long in the classroom due to foolish pride or a perception of class that doesn't exist.
And I hope you have the foresight to avoid making that decision in the middle of the school year / season.

Spurrier toyed with retiring last year but decided against it - I think his massive ego wrote a check he couldn't cash, and instead of swallowing his pride and working through it, he walked away.

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
We are going to have to agree to disagree on this Brad. You have to experience it to understand in my opinion.

Sent from my LG-D415 using Tapatalk

Moro Creek

All-SEC
Jan 21, 2014
Equine country
Once again, as much as like Spurrier, he kinda set the precedent with that allowing Clowney to coast through his Senior year to be able to get to the league and get paid. Most people thought he more or less let Clowney play on his own terms when it benefited him instead of the best interest of the team. At the very least, that is the perception it gave most people, and perception is often reality.

It's hard to go back when you've already gone down that road.
And you know this as fact?

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
I honestly dont think he was quiting. I think he realized he was not a positive for the team and felt by stepping down they would be much better off than if he stayed and was not accomplishing what the team needed to get better. He set his ego aside in order to do what was best for the team. Now they can focus on moving forward and not just limping through the season with a coach doing a fairwell tour. Just my two cents.
Spurrier is not capable of setting his ego aside. He's getting a pass from a lot of people here because he is a great coach. Simple fact is, he has quit his team mid-season and is justifying it by saying he thinks the team is better off without him. I'm not buying. He should have finished what he started.

derek4tide

Hall of Fame
Jan 19, 2005
Daphne, AL
Spurrier is not capable of setting his ego aside. He's getting a pass from a lot of people here because he is a great coach. Simple fact is, he has quit his team mid-season and is justifying it by saying he thinks the team is better off without him. I'm not buying. He should have finished what he started.
My wife, a gator alum and has worked with SOS in the past, says it's his ego. He didn't want to go out with a losing season. BTW, he really is a big jerk, who puts Steve first.....always.

imauafan

All-American
Mar 3, 2004
Huntsville, AL
A lot of really great coaches do not know when to hang it up and usually stay too long. Usually their teams are in decline and I believe that they are convinced that they can go out on top and that their teams are going to improve if they coach one more year. One more year turns into two and sometimes more. Bowden stayed a few years longer than he should have. Paterno definitely stayed several years longer than he should have. PSU officials should have worked to have him bow out gracefully instead of continually allowing him to coach when it was obvious to everyone that he was not capable of getting the job done. Spurrier definitely should have retired last year or the year prior. I'm not going to judge him too harshly for bowing out now. I'm sure he thought he could turn it around but realized that he was not going to be able to do that. Bowing out now allows USCe to get a jump on the hiring process at the end of the season.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Quit, hung up, or exhausted does it really matter in the end? While i would personally like to see him finish the season he has earned the right to go as he pleases. The man has forgotten more about football than 99% of us would ever know, so if he truly thinks it's better that he leaves now then it may be true.

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
While I respect what he has accomplished, both as a player and a coach, I'm actually happy to see him go. The man has absolutely no class or humility--and he showed that to the bitter end.

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al
Quit, hung up, or exhausted does it really matter in the end? While i would personally like to see him finish the season he has earned the right to go as he pleases. The man has forgotten more about football than 99% of us would ever know, so if he truly thinks it's better that he leaves now then it may be true.
He should have left before the season. Coaches ask 100% commitment from players, players deserve the same.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
He should have left before the season. Coaches ask 100% commitment from players, players deserve the same.
Maybe, but I still think he has earned that right. To be honest it could be more of trying to get his assistant's name out there after seeing how the season has gone. Just think, dabo would've never been a household name had Bowden not got fired before mid season, so maybe it was a good move.

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
Maybe, but I still think he has earned that right. To be honest it could be more of trying to get his assistant's name out there after seeing how the season has gone. Just think, dabo would've never been a household name had Bowden not got fired before mid season, so maybe it was a good move.
As a kid, I knew a really good golfer who turned around and walked back to the first tee if he started out with two bogeys. Reminds me of Steve. He appears to have trouble doing anything if he can't win. Part of what drove him was winning and rubbing it in somebody's face. Now he can't do that, and coaching at South Carolina became what it devolved into with the Redskins. Steve looked pretty ordinary, and that was unacceptable.

This, by the way, is one of the best things I've seen written about the complexities of the man. Not all flattering, but accurate and honest. Here

TideFan in AU

Hall of Fame

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.