Apparently the Head Ball Coach is hanging up his whistle.

USCBAMA

All-SEC
Sep 21, 2001
Columbia, SC, Richland
Already Kirby Smart’s name is the one getting the most play on talk radio and message boards as the replacement. Obviously that’s a pretty unreliable gauge of things, but I would be shocked if he’s not on or near the top of USC’s wish list.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Spurrier speaking at this press conference:

"I'm resigning, I'm not retiring. Get that straight." Suggests maybe he'll coach in high school one day.
"We've slid, and it's my fault, it's my responsibility ... so it's time to get out of the way."
Spurrier takes blame for South Carolina slipping. “It’s time for me to get out of the way and let somebody else have a go at it."
"I think the team needs to hear a new message and new voice from a new coach."
Spurrier just said he's a recruiting liability. "When your coach has coached for a long time, it's hard to recruit."
Spurrier: “Sometimes you’ve had your course, you’ve had your run. That’s where I’m at today.”
Spurrier: "I was the best coach for this job 11 years ago but I'm not today."
Spurrier told AD Ray Tanner when team was 2-2 that he was going to "try to get through this season."
Spurrier: “Our team wasn’t quite as good as I thought we were going to be.”
Spurrier: "When something is inevitable I believe you do it right then."
Spurrier: "We got re-energized when we won a bowl game... last year was a little more difficult than this year has been."
Spurrier: “I didn’t plan on going out this way."
Spurrier: "I didn't plan on going out this way. I planned on going out up on the shoulder pads of our players in the Georgia Dome."
"I will have no involvement, it's not up to a former coach, that's just the way it should be." Spurrier on if he'll help hire new head coach
Spurrier: “Nothing goes on forever. I’ve gone on a lot longer than most people.”
Spurrier clarifies he won’t be coaching college football again. “It’s a game of recruiting as we all know.”
Spurrier: “I don’t know if coaching is completely over or not. It is fun being on a team. I doubt I’ll be a head coach.”

Last edited:

Snuffy Smith

All-American
Sep 12, 2012
Huntsville, AL

"I'm resigning, I'm not retiring. Get that straight." Suggests maybe he'll coach in high school one day.
"We've slid, and it's my fault, it's my responsibility ... so it's time to get out of the way."
Spurrier takes blame for South Carolina slipping. “It’s time for me to get out of the way and let somebody else have a go at it."
Spurrier just said he's a recruiting liability. "When your coach has coached for a long time, it's hard to recruit."
Spurrier: “Sometimes you’ve had your course, you’ve had your run. That’s where I’m at today.”
Spurrier told AD Ray Tanner when team was 2-2 that he was going to "try to get through this season."
Spurrier: "We got re-energized when we won a bowl game... last year was a little more difficult than this year has been."
Spurrier: "I didn't plan on going out this way. I planned on going out up on the shoulder pads of our players in the Georgia Dome."
"I will have no involvement, it's not up to a former coach, that's just the way it should be." Spurrier on if he'll help hire new head coach
Spurrier: “Nothing goes on forever. I’ve gone on a lot longer than most people.”
Spurrier clarifies he won’t be coaching college football again. “It’s a game of recruiting as we all know.”
Spurrier: “I don’t know if coaching is completely over or not. It is fun being on a team. I doubt I’ll be a head coach.”

Don't tell Pat Dye this

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

He sounds really depressed...

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
I understand how he feels and he does sound depressed. A member of the USCe media this morning was on the "First Team" and said that he was unable to relate to kids today. Sounds like he isn't happy.

He sounds really depressed...

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Would he be willing to be a play caller again...not head ball coach and so much emphasis on recruiting???
Sounds like he left the door open for that with his last statement, but it would take a pretty confident head coach to hire CSS as his OC. No way you keep CSS' mouth shut.

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
Odds from Bovada:

Bovada has published odds on who will be the next full-time football coach at the University of South Carolina. Steve Spurrier announced his retirement Monday night, and Shawn Elliott is expected to be named the interim head coach on Tuesday.
Kirby Smart (DC, Alabama): 2.5 to 1
Shawn Elliott (Interim HC, South Carolina): 3 to 1
Justin Fuente (HC, Memphis): 4 to 1
Ed Orgeron (DL coach, LSU): 4 to 1
Jeff Brohm (HC, Western Kentucky): 7 to 1
Matt Campbell (HC, Toledo): 8 to 1
Mark Hudspeth (HC, Louisiana-Lafayette): 8 to 1
Matt Wells (HC, Utah State): 12 to 1
Mark Dantonio (HC, Michigan State): 20 to 1

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
I think it can only help. Let's face it, Clemson is winning the recruiting battle at this moment.

Anyone know how this will impact their recruiting? This has to be bad timing for them from that standpoint.

alwayshavebeen

All-SEC
Sep 22, 2013
North Carolina
I watched the press conference, and as I said earlier in this thread there has to be a story behind the story for him to leave immediately. IMO this is a man that lost his team and didn't have any idea of what to do about it. Kind of sad.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
The man will be 71 in April. I doubt he would want to be our OC and quite frankly I don't want him here.

I think the Memphis guy would be a good choice for Carolina. He has turned around that program in a hurry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
Odds from Bovada:

Bovada has published odds on who will be the next full-time football coach at the University of South Carolina. Steve Spurrier announced his retirement Monday night, and Shawn Elliott is expected to be named the interim head coach on Tuesday.
Kirby Smart (DC, Alabama): 2.5 to 1
Shawn Elliott (Interim HC, South Carolina): 3 to 1
Justin Fuente (HC, Memphis): 4 to 1
Ed Orgeron (DL coach, LSU): 4 to 1
Jeff Brohm (HC, Western Kentucky): 7 to 1
Matt Campbell (HC, Toledo): 8 to 1
Mark Hudspeth (HC, Louisiana-Lafayette): 8 to 1
Matt Wells (HC, Utah State): 12 to 1
Mark Dantonio (HC, Michigan State): 20 to 1
In all honesty these are some pretty decent names. I agree that USCe needs to find a younger, energetic coach to go head to head with Swinney in recruiting. The right hire can recruit well in SC, GA, NC and FL. As for Kirby, we have talked about other recent hires and the consensus has been that offensive oriented coaches seem to be more in demand that defensive minded coaches. This may or may not be prudent but it seems to be in vogue now.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.