2015-16 Coaching Carousel

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
I think that Smart would be crazy to jump into an SEC job as his first HC gig. If he fails he could easily be relegated to a "career DC" pigeon hole. Success as a HC at a smaller school followed by problems at a larger school would not produce that same result.
Like Illinois, Maryland or Iowa State?

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Like Illinois, Maryland or Iowa State?
Yep - I have no problems recognizing the weaknesses within the B1G. Those schools may be in a P5 conference, but there is no pressure to succeed there since they lack the infrastructure required to produce a consistently successful program. Win 7 games/yr at Illinois and you would probably get a few looks from better programs. Lose 10 games a year and no one notices.

BamaMark.

1st Team
Jun 21, 2012
Yep - I have no problems recognizing the weaknesses within the B1G. Those schools may be in a P5 conference, but there is no pressure to succeed there since they lack the infrastructure required to produce a consistently successful program. Win 7 games/yr at Illinois and you would probably get a few looks from better programs. Lose 10 games a year and no one notices.
How many coaches that have lost 10 games in a year in the B1G have gone on to get HC jobs in the SEC?

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
He's 57 so that might be a bit too long in the tooth to start.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Figuring the tenure of the SEC Coaches this year is between 6-7 years.....that may still work.

The three with the most tenure were Spurrier, Pinkel and Richt.....

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa
I wonder if Charlie Strong would consider USCe. I think he is not a good fit at Texas and would be a better suited for the job in South Carolina. He has recruited in the SEC before and knows the lay of the land so to speak. If he doesn't get things turned around soon in Austin they may run him outta town anyway. He won't have to deal with boosters who think they own the Longhorn program or an administration that may not be fully supportive of him. I think he'd have the Gamecocks competing in the east pretty quickly.

As far as Kirby, he may be on the list at UGA. Somehow I think this will be Richt 's last year. It think if he loses to Florida again, he is is done. Georgia has a history of not paying all that well and may not attract top coaching talent unless they open up the checkbook. Again, If the UGA job opens up Charlie Strong would be a good choice.

Last edited:

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
He's 57 so that might be a bit too long in the tooth to start.

You may be right but CGS and CNS were both 55 when they took over a much higher profile program at Alabama. If he is in good health and can handle the pressure cooker SEC he could easily coach for 6-8 years if he is successful. It is however a big jump from MTSU to the SEC.

Last edited:

hollisx4

1st Team
Aug 29, 2005
Columbiana, AL.
You may be right but CGS and CNS were both 55 when they took over a much higher profile program at Alabama. If he is in good health and can handle the pressure cooker SEC he could easily coach for 10 years of f he is successful.
Not disagreeing with you, but if I'm Joe Blow fan, Kirby Smart gets me all kinds of fired up over say, Stockstill.

And I'm not hating on Stockstill, I just see the upside with the younger guy more appealing is all.

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
Will be interesting to see who USC W targets. That program is a sleeping giant for sure. Will they go the NFL route again? They've been burned a couple of times doing that but also struck gold with Pete Carroll.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
Not disagreeing with you, but if I'm Joe Blow fan, Kirby Smart gets me all kinds of fired up over say, Stockstill.

And I'm not hating on Stockstill, I just see the upside with the younger guy more appealing is all.

Oh, I agree with you that a younger coach would have more upside and longevity, just saying 57 is not as old as it used to be. :wink:

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
My OU friends seem like they are more than ready to part ways with Bob Stoops--a loss to the worst Texas team in a generation will do that to you, I guess.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
I'm thinking CLK will be in in Champaigne, Il. next year.
I thought that might be a good place to attempt to resurrect his career too, but Illinois is kind of the B1G's version of Miss State and could end his collegiate coaching career. I think he might be headed back to the NFL as an OC.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
I don't think Kiffin wants to go back to college coaching.... Might do him good to stay in NFL for a while before coming back to college... There will always be OC job openings in NFL.... Miami for one... ( HC and OC job opening)

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.