2015-16 Coaching Carousel

drwho

Suspended
Dec 11, 2013
I wonder if Charlie Strong would consider USCe. I think he is not a good fit at Texas and would be a better suited for the job in South Carolina. He has recruited in the SEC before and knows the lay of the land so to speak. If he doesn't get things turned around soon in Austin they may run him outta town anyway. He won't have to deal with boosters who think they own the Longhorn program or an administration that may not be fully supportive of him. I think he'd have the Gamecocks competing in the east pretty quickly.
If Charlie Strong isn't a fit at a University, then that University doesn't deserve a football program. He inherited a dumpster fire at Texas.

drwho

Suspended
Dec 11, 2013
These are the top 6 that ESPN insider is saying for USCe:

Kirby Smart
Mark Stoops
Chad Morris
Tom Herman
Justin Fuente
Shane Reamer
I think Fuente goes to South Carolina, which would create an interesting opportunity in Memphis.

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa
Strong may stay regardless, but he wasn't a popular choice from day one with the athletic donors. He is not loaded with social skills kinda like a former UA basketball coach we just sent packing. I do think he is a good coach, but good coaches in the wrong situation can fail too. (See Rick Rod at Michigan.) Strong's recruiting has not even made a the top 25 in the rankings. He has to compete with the Johnny come lately's of Baylor, and TCU and then his rival Texas A&M. On top of that the AD who hired him is gone as well as the president of the University.

USCe is a place he can build quietly and they will be patient. He can recruit Florida which is a territory he already knows. The east is not very good so he could compete for a championship there pretty quickly. If he can be successful at Louisville, he can be successful at USCe because they simply have more resources than Louisville.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Strong may stay regardless, but he wasn't a popular choice from day one with the athletic donors. He is not loaded with social skills kinda like a former UA basketball coach we just sent packing. I do think he is a good coach, but good coaches in the wrong situation can fail too. (See Rick Rod at Michigan.) Strong's recruiting has not even made a the top 25 in the rankings. He has to compete with the Johnny come lately's of Baylor, and TCU and then his rival Texas A&M. On top of that the AD who hired him is gone as well as the president of the University.

USCe is a place he can build quietly and they will be patient. He can recruit Florida which is a territory he already knows. The east is not very good so he could compete for a championship there pretty quickly. If he can be successful at Louisville, he can be successful at USCe because they simply have more resources than Louisville.
Charlie Strong isn't going anywhere anytime soon. The last I read, Texas would owe him in the neighborhood of $15.7 million if they fire him..

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

Report: Charlie Strong "Would Be Interested" In Miami Hurricanes Head Coaching Job

The Miami Hurricanes dropped to 3-2 on the season after narrowly losing 29-24 to Florida State on Saturday night, and while some would say that shows progress, Canes head coach Al Golden won't save it job with moral victories. The pressure has been mounting on Golden for two years now, and with each passing game, it appears more and more likely that he won't return to the team next season.

Many have specualted as to who Miami would turn to if they did fire Golden, and ESPN's Brett McMurphy has a new name to throw into the mix - Texas head coach Charlie Strong:

“I think one name that would be in the mix, and I think his stock improved dramatically Saturday, is Charlie Strong,” McMurphy said on 790 The Ticket in Miami. “I don’t think it’s any secret that it has not been a great fit at Texas for Charlie and I think with his history recruiting the South Florida area when he was at Louisville, I think Miami could make a run at him and I think Strong would be interested.”

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL

bamamc1

Hall of Fame
Oct 24, 2011
Haleyville, AL
At the beginning of the season I would have put Lashlee near the top of the Next-to-be-HC list, but with Auburn being a dumpster fire right now the only way he leaves is if he's fired along with the rest of the staff.
He wouldn't get the Hoover job if Josh left. I call as many plays for the barn as that guy does.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
They would probably be glad to let him walk.
I don't think I've heard of a coach walking out of a substantial buyout. If he wants to leave he can just wait until they fire him. This isn't a few million dollar buyout. This is well over $10 million that would be owed. Charlie Strong isn't going to "walk" away from that no matter how bad he wants to leave..

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa
Charlie Strong isn't going anywhere anytime soon. The last I read, Texas would owe him in the neighborhood of $15.7 million if they fire him..
You may very well be right, but sometimes money isn't everything and he'll still make a very good living at Miami or wherever he goes. He isn't being paid all that much at Texas right now. I believe around 3 or 4 million is his salary. Chump change in big time college football today and especially at Texas. If he has a big buyout to leave, that may be an issue unless they are willing to waive or reduce it to get him out the door which might be the case.

I think he is better suited to be on the east coast rather than at Texas. If he were to leave, you know who will immediately have his name associated with the job. We might as well go ahead and write a big check now.

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
How much $ can Thug U offer a new coach?

Let's see..............maybe make a little less money, to coach at school that wants me, and in a state that I can recruit in, or..............

Stay at some place that hates me, and I can not recruit well. Partly because of my personality, partly because some former HS coach has lots of buddies he can tie in with recruiting. And partly because................well, it is Texas.

He should walk. I would. If I were him. (Handily, I am not!)

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
I don't think there is any way that Thug U will dig deep enough to pay Charlie's buyout. Now Texas might offer a Walmart "blue light discount" that could make it happen. But if that did happened, wouldn't the Canes feel like they were buying damaged goods?

Just thinking out loud here...

Last edited:

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
I think that was K-Mart, but point well taken.

You may be underestimating how little support he has at Bevo U. I'm thinking we could have a Monte Hall "Let's Make a Deal" brewing.

Thug U may view it as a bargain, as they probably care little about what Bevo thinks about anyone or anything.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
I think that was K-Mart, but point well taken.

You may be underestimating how little support he has at Bevo U. I'm thinking we could have a Monte Hall "Let's Make a Deal" brewing.

Thug U may view it as a bargain, as they probably care little about what Bevo thinks about anyone or anything.
Do you think some of the problem race related?

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
It would not surprise me.

Putting that aside, he is just not Bevo U culture. I'm sure it causes some further percolation.

Look at it this way: will someone who is not a "Michigan Man" ever fit in at UM?

Or, I dread mentioning it...........a certain GaTech grad not fitting in at The Capstone. Some folks are just not a good fit.

The irony is..................CCS is what they need! Someone to take charge, clean house, kick butt and instill discipline and higher expectations.

Bevo U expects because, well, they are Bevo U. Everything will just fall into place.

I think the phrase is a sense of entitlement. That is not what CCS is.

Then there is his anti-good ol' boy approach that will kill his recruiting. He can not leave it to the assistants to schmooze with all the HS coaches. It will not work.

But, I bet he can get away with that in the state of Florida.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
I like Coach Strong but think jumping to Miami would be a horrible move. That program is history, no money, terrible facilities, weak conference and abysmal fan support. USCe would be a much better choice IMO.

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
Chad Morris to South Carolina. Step up for him and he's an offensive coach and familiar with the high schools already.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.