2015-16 Coaching Carousel

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006
Has anyone given any thought to Mark Richt to Miami? He played there and it would fit the Urban Meyer model of getting the heck out of Dodge and going to a cupcake conference where winning comes much, much easier.
Not a chance. Recruiting in and around Miami is a cesspool unlike any other part of the country. I think we all make fun of CMR to a degree because of his team and player altercations but overall i think he is a character guy who probably decided awhile back that he want absolutely going to sell his soul to win which you practically have to do at Miami.

Sent from my LG-V410 using Tapatalk

tidefanbeezer

All-American
Sep 25, 2006
Atlanta, GA
Jerry Kill announces he's retiring effective immediately due to health concerns.
I'm actually surprised this hasn't happened sooner. He's lived with/battled epilepsy for quite some time. I'm sure the stress of coaching doesn't do much to improve his condition.

I hope the break improves his health.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Has anyone given any thought to Mark Richt to Miami? He played there and it would fit the Urban Meyer model of getting the heck out of Dodge and going to a cupcake conference where winning comes much, much easier.
Let's look at how Richt responded when asked about the Miami job with commentary from Sporting News' Matt Hayes:

I don’t want to alarm the good folks of Athens, Ga., but your coach clearly is looking to get out.

Then again, that may be OK with all involved, anyway.

Georgia coach Mark Richt was asked Tuesday about his name popping up on candidates for the Miami job. And unlike the last time the job came open in 2010 and the former Miami QB shot down any notion of returning to his alma mater, this response had an eerie sense of, well, wanting.

“I don’t think much of it really,” Richt said. “I love my alma mater, the U. No doubt about it, but there’s been nobody calling or writing or texting or anything like that. So I’m sure they’ll find a great coach.”

A couple of things: When Richt was at Miami, it wasn’t the “U” — it was a program that was on the heels of nearly being shut down before Howard Schnellenberger took over. That statement from Richt is a clear message that he’s not only interested in Miami, but he’s interested in other jobs.

Richt is in the middle of his 15th season at Georgia, and is facing a critical game this weekend vs. Florida in Jacksonville. Win, and the Bulldogs control their destiny in the SEC East Division race and there’s a chance to salvage something from a season of lost expectations.

Lose and Florida all but locks up the East, Richt’s record vs. his bitter rival falls to 5-10 and Miami — or any other Power 5 job — suddenly looks like the prettiest girl at the prom.

tidefanbeezer

All-American
Sep 25, 2006
Atlanta, GA
First off, that's a very tenuous connection that Hayes makes regarding Richt's statement and his actual interest in the job.

Secondly, the Matt Hayes agenda is to push Richt out the door. He has been one of the more vocal folks "Fire Richt" crowd. I take his commentary with the whole salt shaker.

Regardless of what Matt thinks, the job has come open twice during Richt's tenure at UGA. Both were at times where his stock was arguably higher than it is now. Both times, either Richt turned Miami down or Miami never considered Richt. I can't see either side suddenly changing course this year. I think the likelihood of Richt voluntarily leaving UGA for Miami is close to 0%.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
First off, that's a very tenuous connection that Hayes makes regarding Richt's statement and his actual interest in the job.
I've defended coaches for making statements in these cases because fans and/or media will use the words anyway they chose. However, Richt's comment comes across as "I haven't been contacted by anyone about the job.... Yet."

Secondly, the Matt Hayes agenda is to push Richt out the door. He has been one of the more vocal folks "Fire Richt" crowd. I take his commentary with the whole salt shaker.

Regardless of what Matt thinks, the job has come open twice during Richt's tenure at UGA. Both were at times where his stock was arguably higher than it is now. Both times, either Richt turned Miami down or Miami never considered Richt. I can't see either side suddenly changing course this year. I think the likelihood of Richt voluntarily leaving UGA for Miami is close to 0%.
You bring up the "Fire Richt" crowd. I believe that crowd would be the primary reason Richt would consider leaving UGA. You're from Atlanta, so you may have a better feel and understanding of the fan base than I do. The anti-Richt crowd seems to be growing, especially after the blowout to Alabama and blown lead to UT.

If Richt loses to Florida this week after losing to Will Muschamp last year, the crowd will gain more members.

Consider the situation from Richt's point of view: the fans are getting irritated with the production and are making it known, and you have the opportunity to go coach your alma mater - and possibly revitalize it. Why not?

tidefanbeezer

All-American
Sep 25, 2006
Atlanta, GA
I've defended coaches for making statements in these cases because fans and/or media will use the words anyway they chose. However, Richt's comment comes across as "I haven't been contacted by anyone about the job.... Yet."

You bring up the "Fire Richt" crowd. I believe that crowd would be the primary reason Richt would consider leaving UGA. You're from Atlanta, so you may have a better feel and understanding of the fan base than I do. The anti-Richt crowd seems to be growing, especially after the blowout to Alabama and blown lead to UT.

If Richt loses to Florida this week after losing to Will Muschamp last year, the crowd will gain more members.

Consider the situation from Richt's point of view: the fans are getting irritated with the production and are making it known, and you have the opportunity to go coach your alma mater - and possibly revitalize it. Why not?
Based on the UGA folks I interact with, I'd say the Fire Ricth crowd is very vocal but doesn't represent the majority. Most are frustrated with his inability to win "the big one", but they also realize that the downside risk to firing Richt is significant. The worry is that UGA will end up like Michigan - fire a coach who has been a consistent winner and slip into mediocrity for an extended period. Most that I've spoken too would rather take the known (Richt and the 10 wins with occasional title hopes) than suffer through 5-10 years of bad football. Perhaps 92Tide or one of the other Atlanta guys can chime in with their thoughts as well. They may have a differnt view point.

I'll add that for the amount of money they make, UGA has spent very little on football until recently. Unless it become financially untenable (meaning the dollars stop flowing in because the football team is performing poorly), they aren't going to fire Richt. He's only recently surpassed the $4MM mark in pay and hasn't really pushed for significant facilities upgrades (Pruitt is the one behind the indoor practice facility). I think they are very happy with the 9-10 wins a season and the financial benefit that brings. Unlikely that they fire him.

I think Richt has the support from the administration, so I think he is less concerned with public opinion. To me, that makes him less likely to feel the need to get out of Athens (especially for a pay cut, if we believe that Miami is only going to pay $2.5MM). I think he and UGA are both happy with the current arrangement.

There is also the Miami side of the equation. They haven't approached him the two previous times the position has come open. To me that says a lot. There is something about Richt that makes the Miami administration believe that he is either the wrong candidate or he is unlikely to leave. I just don't see them making him a serious candidate this go round either.

I still think that the chances of him leaving (especially voluntarily) are close to 0%. But I also thought Kirby Smart would be a head coach by now too, so who knows. :)

hollisx4

1st Team
Aug 29, 2005
Columbiana, AL.
Based on the UGA folks I interact with, I'd say the Fire Ricth crowd is very vocal but doesn't represent the majority.
That's exactly my take with all the Dawg fans around here, most of them are super frustrated by the lack of championship's but can't imagine a scenario where Richt isn't their coach.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Thanks for the insight into the UGA fan-base, guys. I can completely understand their fear of regretting getting a new coach to only realize the grass isn't always greener on the other side.

drwho

Suspended
Dec 11, 2013
Your thoughts on Cristobal to Miami? That rumor has legs, seemingly.
I think he winds up with the job. Might actually be their 2nd or 3rd choice, but I have to think he's back at the U next season.

drwho

Suspended
Dec 11, 2013
Does Virginia Tech really count as an opening with Bud Foster waiting in the wings?

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
and it's not even December! This could get very interesting... I anticipate at least 5 more teams pulling this move before December, and then we still have offseason where they will fire coaches...

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.