2015-16 Coaching Carousel

bamablood6

1st Team
Mar 27, 2006
I live here in Hawaii...maybe I should go throw my name in the hat for that job....I cant do any worse than the coaches they have had.

drwho

Suspended
Dec 11, 2013
I really thought Chow would at least keep Hawaii competitive and bowl eligible most years . . .

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Based on the UGA folks I interact with, I'd say the Fire Ricth crowd is very vocal but doesn't represent the majority. Most are frustrated with his inability to win "the big one", but they also realize that the downside risk to firing Richt is significant. The worry is that UGA will end up like Michigan - fire a coach who has been a consistent winner and slip into mediocrity for an extended period. Most that I've spoken too would rather take the known (Richt and the 10 wins with occasional title hopes) than suffer through 5-10 years of bad football. Perhaps 92Tide or one of the other Atlanta guys can chime in with their thoughts as well. They may have a differnt view point.

I'll add that for the amount of money they make, UGA has spent very little on football until recently. Unless it become financially untenable (meaning the dollars stop flowing in because the football team is performing poorly), they aren't going to fire Richt. He's only recently surpassed the $4MM mark in pay and hasn't really pushed for significant facilities upgrades (Pruitt is the one behind the indoor practice facility). I think they are very happy with the 9-10 wins a season and the financial benefit that brings. Unlikely that they fire him.

I think Richt has the support from the administration, so I think he is less concerned with public opinion. To me, that makes him less likely to feel the need to get out of Athens (especially for a pay cut, if we believe that Miami is only going to pay $2.5MM). I think he and UGA are both happy with the current arrangement.

There is also the Miami side of the equation. They haven't approached him the two previous times the position has come open. To me that says a lot. There is something about Richt that makes the Miami administration believe that he is either the wrong candidate or he is unlikely to leave. I just don't see them making him a serious candidate this go round either.

I still think that the chances of him leaving (especially voluntarily) are close to 0%. But I also thought Kirby Smart would be a head coach by now too, so who knows. :)
That's exactly my take with all the Dawg fans around here, most of them are super frustrated by the lack of championship's but can't imagine a scenario where Richt isn't their coach.
A week later and embarrassing lost to Florida... The feeling among these fans still the same?

I'm serious, too. Are they fine with it or do are they starting to jump ship?

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I went ahead and made this a sticky thread at the top of the page, so we won't have to search for it as more firings happen.

Bama Reb

Suspended
Nov 2, 2005
On the lake and in the woods, AL
A week later and embarrassing lost to Florida... The feeling among these fans still the same?

I'm serious, too. Are they fine with it or do are they starting to jump ship?
The biggest problem I see facing the folks at UGA is that there's only so much room at the top. That is, unless they can hire a coach who can help them to surpass the present (and perennial) playoff contenders then they're better off staying with Richt. At least they know that even if they never reach the peak, for now they have a coach who can get them close.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
The biggest problem I see facing the folks at UGA is that there's only so much room at the top. That is, unless they can hire a coach who can help them to surpass the present (and perennial) playoff contenders then they're better off staying with Richt. At least they know that even if they never reach the peak, for now they have a coach who can get them close.
That want be good enough for some of the fans. They see the success that Coach Saban has had at Alabama, and they think they deserve better than what they have. Might get interesting after tomorrow if Auburn slips by the Dogs.

Bama Reb

Suspended
Nov 2, 2005
On the lake and in the woods, AL
I just read on SEC Country on Facebook that Lane Kiffin has officially interviewed for the Maryland job. I know we're bound to lose a lot of assistants this year but I just hope everybody stays through the remainder of the season.

https://www.seccountry.com/alabama/...-kiffin-interviewed-for-maryland-coaching-job
I'm sure they will. I don't see any coaches walking away at this point in the season. As it pertains to UA, who in their right mind would leave while the run for a NC title is at hand and leave such a "feather in the cap" sitting on the table?

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
Cutcliffe took the Ole Miss job and did not coach Tennessee in the NC game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BamaInMo1

All-American
Oct 27, 2006
Cumming, GA
Well, I live in the Gainesville, GA area and work in Duluth and the UGA fans I know wouldn't cry if Richt walked out the door (or was shown the way out). A lot of the UGA fans I know are tired of what they see as mediocrity/stagnation. While they agree that finding a coach who will consistently win 10 games a year won't be easy they feel like if they had the right coach they could do more with the talent in this state.

alwayshavebeen

All-SEC
Sep 22, 2013
North Carolina
Well, I live in the Gainesville, GA area and work in Duluth and the UGA fans I know wouldn't cry if Richt walked out the door (or was shown the way out). A lot of the UGA fans I know are tired of what they see as mediocrity/stagnation. While they agree that finding a coach who will consistently win 10 games a year won't be easy they feel like if they had the right coach they could do more with the talent in this state.
I seriously doubt it, unless they have a Herschel Walker clone somewhere.

bamacpa

All-American
Jul 19, 2006
Here's an example of stats lying - Georgia may finish the regular season 9-3, the same record as the 2010 Tide.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.