2015-16 Coaching Carousel

drwho

Suspended
Dec 11, 2013
So, we add Tulane to this list:

Hawaii: Dismissed Norm Chow. Chris Naeole interim.
Illinois: Dismissed Tim Beckman. Bill Cubit interim.
Iowa State: Dismissed Paul Rhoads.
Louisiana-Monroe: Dismissed Todd Berry. John Mumford interim.
Maryland: Dismissed Randy Edsall. Mike Locksley interim.
Miami (FL): Dismissed Al Golden. Larry Scott interim.
Minnesota: Jerry Kill retired. Tracy Claeys named head coach.
Missouri: Gary Pinkel to resign after the season.
North Texas: Dismissed Dan McCarney. Mike Canales interim.
South Carolina: Steve Spurrier resigned. Shawn Elliott interim
Syracuse: Dismissed Scott Shafer.
UCF: George O’Leary retired. Danny Barrett interim.
USC: Dismissed Steve Sarkisian. Clay Helton interim.
Virginia Tech: Frank Beamer to retire after the season.

With more to come over the next 3 weeks.

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
So, we add Tulane to this list:

Hawaii: Dismissed Norm Chow. Chris Naeole interim.
Illinois: Dismissed Tim Beckman. Bill Cubit interim.
Iowa State: Dismissed Paul Rhoads.
Louisiana-Monroe: Dismissed Todd Berry. John Mumford interim.
Maryland: Dismissed Randy Edsall. Mike Locksley interim.
Miami (FL): Dismissed Al Golden. Larry Scott interim.
Minnesota: Jerry Kill retired. Tracy Claeys named head coach.
Missouri: Gary Pinkel to resign after the season.
North Texas: Dismissed Dan McCarney. Mike Canales interim.
South Carolina: Steve Spurrier resigned. Shawn Elliott interim
Syracuse: Dismissed Scott Shafer.
UCF: George O’Leary retired. Danny Barrett interim.
USC: Dismissed Steve Sarkisian. Clay Helton interim.
Virginia Tech: Frank Beamer to retire after the season.

With more to come over the next 3 weeks.
To me, I see seven jobs that are ideal starts for assistants with no HC experience - no pressure, opportunity to put your stamp on a program and show the big schools you got what it takes (a la JW).
The other spots should not, IMO, go to anyone with no HC experience because they have little margin for error. As MC or LK what it's like to get promoted to a HC position, then get fired (albeit somewhat inexplicably in both cases); gonna be a while before that second chance comes again. (granted, LK leaving sloppy top made that situation a little more unusual).
Better to do it right the first time.

Matt0424

All-American
Jan 16, 2010
Hoover, Al
Illinois is apparently close to making an offer to Bill Cubit to take the interim tag off.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
Sounds like a great idea. Another great idea is Hawaii's plan to bring back June Jones. Yes, he did well before, but I think it would be like Johnny Majors' second tour at Pitt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Per coachingsearch.com
UCF: Rivals.com reports that UCF’s search is focused on four candidates: Bowling Green head coach Dino Babers, North Carolina defensive coordinator Gene Chizik, Florida defensive coordinator Geoff Collins and Florida co-defensive coordinator Randy Shannon. The site adds that interviews are expected to happen Saturday and Sunday.
LSU: LSU’s potential buyout for Les Miles could be $11 million or less, instead of $15 million, according to USA Today. Miles’ contract calls for him to be owed $15 million if he is dismissed by Dec. 31, but it also says that will be reduced by the amount he’s already been paid during his contract year, which is $4 million so far. It will also be offset by his potential next salary, as he would be required to seek related employment. Miles would receive his payments in equal monthly installments through an eight-year period.
Chip Kelly: NFL Network’s Ian Rapoport notes that colleges are “more of a threat” to land Chip Kelly than NFL teams if he leaves the Eagles, but Rapoport added, “Nobody close to him actually knows what he’s going to do.”

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
I never understood the term of that...I think he was saying... another job similar to LSU?
I don't understand the "required" part of it. It almost reads as if Les Miles would be required to seek out another head coaching job. If so that doesn't seem fair..

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
If a DII school calls and offers him a job, is he required to take it? Would an ESPN job count against his buyout?

RollTideMang

All-American
Oct 16, 2009
St. Louis, MO
It's an attempt at a mitigation clause. Like if you break your lease, the landlord is required to attempt to fill it and mitigate the amount you have to pay. He can't just leave it empty. Problem is in this kind of situation I can't see how that's enforceable.
So I guess what the clause is saying is that he can't just use this as an opportunity to retire for 8 years during the payments and he is required to at least attempt to get a new head coaching job? I'm sure there's a loop hole if he just wanted to sit at home like applying and then turning the job down if offered maybe.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
It's an attempt at a mitigation clause. Like if you break your lease, the landlord is required to attempt to fill it and mitigate the amount you have to pay. He can't just leave it empty. Problem is in this kind of situation I can't see how that's enforceable.
I agree with that. However, any job he takes will be taken off his payment. The best example I can think of is TV commentator. That job mitigates damages also. Of course, the parties can contract to whatever they want...

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
I heard Les plans to apply for a sales associate position in Team Sports at the local Academy Sports and Outdoors..you know...so he could relieve some of the burden from the boosters. :wink:

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Update: Per ESPN Nevada offensive coordinator Nick Rolovich was named as Hawaii's new head coach, replacing Norm Chow, who was fired after going 10-36 in four seasons. Rolovich played QB for Hawaii in 2000-1 and was an assistant the

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.