USCe opening/Kirby Smart concerns

uaintn

All-American
Aug 2, 2000
franklin, tennessee, usa
I don't know his personal details well enough to presume to give him advice. If he decides to take that job (or most any other) he should just go with the thanks of a grateful university for outstanding years of service here. I reserve the right to change my answer if he spends this week interviewing and packs his stuff next week....

USCBAMA

All-SEC
Sep 21, 2001
Columbia, SC, Richland
[/B]
That's two assumptions that I am not so sure about
Wouldn’t the ideal situation be for Smart to go hone his HC skills at another program, then return to Bama if/when Saban leaves? If so, USC might be a more ideal situation as a place like UGA would be hard to lure him away from if he’s successful to the level that would be required for Bama to want him as HC.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
Keep your eye on Hudspeth -- coach of the Ragin Cajuns. Apparently an assistant coach was recently fired and they vacated their 2011 season because the Asst Coach was paying for others to take ACT tests for recruits. He may bail while he's still a warm commodity.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
I thought elevating Defensive Coordinators as head coaches had kind of gone out of fashion, what with the new offenses these days getting all the glory. Also, the Muschamp to Florida experiment didn't help.

I think Kirby was a stronger potential head coach several years ago, but I have the feeling that ship may have sailed. My guess is that we will see Kiffin working again as a head coach before we see Kirby doing it. Maybe that's just wishful Pollyanna type thinking on my part. :rolleyes:

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
I don't expect to see Boom's name on any HC coach lists anytime soon. The UT job may well come open next year also. Personally, as I said above, he'd be better off waiting for UGA than either UT or USC, which are basically both located in recruiting deserts. SOS's recruiting was OK, primarily because of his name and rep, rather than his recruiting ability. East Tennessee has always been a hard sale for AA players. They had some success under Fulmer, recruiting nationally, but I always thought that would eventually collapse, and it did. They just have no skill players within a decent distance. Memphis is closer to OM and Bama than to Knoxville.

I have a daughter with two degrees from there, because what she wanted was available nowhere nearby. Once, I happened to be reading a UT board and there was a post from a black grad student. He was an Alabama native and a graduate of Bama. The topic got around to the difficulty recruiting black athletes. This guy tore them a new one. I won't reprise the whole post, but he emphasized how much at home he'd always felt at Bama and how alienated and excluded he felt at UT. Of course, he was barraged with a torrent of outrage and denial. :) This is not to say they can't recruit AA players. It's just harder there and, for that matter, at USC...
I lived in Knoxville for eight years and the lack of diversity in the area was a topic that cropped up from time to time. Not so much for athletics, but for the student body as a whole. Obviously, if you are winning at a level Fulmer was at his peak, it is an easy obstacle to overcome. But if you are doing good to finish 7-5, it may be a factor a top black recruit may take into consideration. Memphis is a world away from Knoxville and not just in geography.

That being said, I enjoyed my time there are and I didn't witness any more racism than I do in Alabama and I know it exists everywhere. But I'm not an 18-year old black guy looking around for a place to spend my young adult years, either.

As for the Carolina job, I think the Memphis coach would be a goo hire for them. He turned that dumpster fire program around in a hurry.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
Oregeons name on that list makes me chuckle. Not that they wouldn't offer or that he would accept, it just makes me chuckle.
I thought he did well taking over for Kiffin, but his failure at Ole Miss may haunt him the rest of his career.

RammerJammer14

Hall of Fame
Aug 18, 2007
UA
This is not to say they can't recruit AA players. It's just harder there and, for that matter, at USC...
I have to disagree with this statement about USC. Their biggest problem is that they have never been anybody. Clemson is in the same state, is much more similar to UT area/demographic wise, but has historically had much more success and continues to succeed. I also believe that UT used to pretty much take their pick of recruits from SC until Spurrier showed up and locked the state away from them. SC isn't Florida or anything but we have taken our fair share of top talent from the state as well (John Fulton).

I think Carolina can build off of Spurrier's 3 recent 11-win seasons and prior winning seasons with the right hire and continue to be a winning program. Honestly USC needs newer facilities.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RammerJammer14

Hall of Fame
Aug 18, 2007
UA
Re: USCe (South Carolina) opening/Kirby Smart concerns

You know, whatever happened to Tommy Bowden? He was essentially Clemson's Mark Richt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TideWatcher

All-SEC
Dec 11, 2006
newton county, ms
Orgeron can recruit. I would imagine if SC is wise that will be high on their list of qualifications. Obviously Zook and others (maybe even EO himself) have shown it isn't everything, but if you can recruit, you have a chance.
Oregeons name on that list makes me chuckle. Not that they wouldn't offer or that he would accept, it just makes me chuckle.

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al
I thought elevating Defensive Coordinators as head coaches had kind of gone out of fashion, what with the new offenses these days getting all the glory. Also, the Muschamp to Florida experiment didn't help.

I think Kirby was a stronger potential head coach several years ago, but I have the feeling that ship may have sailed. My guess is that we will see Kiffin working again as a head coach before we see Kirby doing it. Maybe that's just wishful Pollyanna type thinking on my part. :rolleyes:
The ship hasn't sailed. Should CMR leave the Bulldogs, Georgia would be all over him.

BamaBuc

All-American
May 12, 2003
St. Pete Beach, FL
crimson-fan.neocities.org
I think Orgeron would be a great fit for the Gamecock's...
I really don't see Coach Smart in Columbia, S.C.
IF I were Coach smart I would wait and see who ends up in Southern Cal and were they left before I decided on South Carolina...
This is shaping up to be a 'HOT-SEAT' type of year for some prominent programs...
Ya'll do realize that would be two Alabama X-Coaches in So. Car.
They'd have to start calling it Alabama-East!

BamaDMD

Hall of Fame
Sep 10, 2007
Rainsville Al
Orgeron can recruit. I would imagine if SC is wise that will be high on their list of qualifications. Obviously Zook and others (maybe even EO himself) have shown it isn't everything, but if you can recruit, you have a chance.
Orgeron is a heck of a recruiter. I think he would would do fairly well at coaching and I think they would win about 7-9 games a year. But they would stay at mediocrity at best. Orgeron, IMO, is a better position coach or coordinator than a head coach.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.