USCe opening/Kirby Smart concerns

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
Yeah, I don't think Coach Saban would advise him to take that job. We'll see though. It's only a matter of time before he leaves . It would be nice for him to take over the helm here when Coach Saban retires, which... is only a matter of time.
I don't know if he'll get serious consideration here unless he goes somewhere else and proves himself as a head coach first. I think too many people may think of him as Dubose or Shula 2.0. Others may also associate him with Muschamp and his struggles at UF. Bama does not seem to be the place for first time head coaches.

G8RNGA

3rd Team
Dec 6, 2014
I think USCe will probably go after an offensive minded coach, but I could be wrong! Smart may be interested in GA if Richt is finally asked to vacate. UGA will probably struggle again today against Mizzou. I like the matchup between UGAs offense and Mizzou's defense. If GA loses, there will be folks with pitch forks outside his house along with a moving truck!

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
I agree, most higher profile programs are now looking for an high octane offensive coach. IMO, Tom Herman at Houston would be on the top of my list if I were Ray Tanner. UGA vs Mizzou ought to be a real snoozer much like UK vs auburn. Good luck on the bayou tonight.

Last edited:

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
Re: USCe (South Carolina) opening/Kirby Smart concerns

Are we positive coach Smart wants a head coaching job? He's making pretty good money for a DC and may not want the total responsibility. Could he be like the Chief?
I've also wondered about this. Some guys really want to be the man, and there used to be the need to move up the ladder to make the big bucks. However, he already makes a ton of money and may like Tuscaloosa for his family. I wish him well in whatever he decides, but I do hope it does not cause a distraction for us during the season.

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
I think USCe will probably go after an offensive minded coach, but I could be wrong! Smart may be interested in GA if Richt is finally asked to vacate. UGA will probably struggle again today against Mizzou. I like the matchup between UGAs offense and Mizzou's defense. If GA loses, there will be folks with pitch forks outside his house along with a moving truck!
You are probably right about that. Sadly, the way the game is played today, it is hard to win unless you really take advantage of all the rules in favor of the offense and score 50 points a game. Smart may be a guy who would be willing to let his OC run a high octane attack, though.

G8RNGA

3rd Team
Dec 6, 2014
I agree, most higher profile programs are now looking for an high octane offensive coach. IMO, Tom Herman at Houston would be on the top of my list if I were Ray Tanner. UGA vs Mizzou ought to be a real snoozer much like UK vs auburn. Good luck on the bayou tonight.
Thanks and same for you all with the Aggies! In Mac we trust!

I look forward to the days similar to the 90s where AL and FL played each other for SEC champs. The good 'ol days!

Last edited:

G8RNGA

3rd Team
Dec 6, 2014
You are probably right about that. Sadly, the way the game is played today, it is hard to win unless you really take advantage of all the rules in favor of the offense and score 50 points a game. Smart may be a guy who would be willing to let his OC run a high octane attack, though.
He's definitely learned from one of the best on how to be a head coach these days. The thing that would concern me is whether he has the ability to be a leader away from being a coordinator. We've even seen it in our daily lives where folks are great at their job, but fail miserably at being a manager or leader. Nothing wrong with not being able to do it, just ensure that's known before jumping to be a HC - ala Muschamp.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.