How were recruits ranked before Rivals/etc came along?

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
Forrest Davis put out a book each year with star rating and a top ten for the southeast and each state. He stopped a while back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
Forrest Davis put out a book each year with star rating and a top ten for the southeast and each state. He stopped a while back.

While as I got older I didn't like how he did his ratings, his book was huge for us to get as youngsters as it was the ONLY info we could get on recruiting. As for Forrest I respect him but some of his ratings could be odd and off etc. and some felt like homerism but that is human nature so he's not that bad at all when I think of it.

But boy we LOVED seeing who Bama had committed and had the best shots at back in the early to mid 90's

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL

Yep. I kept up with it through Forrest Davis. My wife always got me his magazine as a stocking stuffer on Christmas.

He also had 4 all-American teams at the very back of the magazine.

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
Yep Tider, for what the magazine cost it was well worth it. He also had every state in the South didn't he? For what little it cost it had a ton of info.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
Yep Tider, for what the magazine cost it was well worth it. He also had every state in the South didn't he? For what little it cost it had a ton of info.
It was well worth it. I remember he would have a line underneath each guys name and measureables like "very fast, good closing speed and physical" or something like this and he would repeat some of the statements for each player. Referenced the mag constantly when we would get a commit and I even made a list of our commits with their star rating and overall average star rating. Thank goodness for the recruiting sites and Tidefans.

derek4tide

Hall of Fame
Jan 19, 2005
Daphne, AL
Let me throw one more name at you, that of Tyrone Prothro. He was rated a 3-star player by Rivals, and was only rated as the #22 player in the state of Alabama in his senior year. I saw Tyrone Prothro as a senior in high school, when they played my son’s high school team in the playoffs. Even with his low rating, I knew Alabama had signed a winner.

Some interesting stats from Forrest Davis picks:
http://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/2010/where-are-they-now/

FThomas

1st Team
Oct 18, 2011
Bama magazine also used to have recruiting snippets. Basically it would either list states or positions and give a little info on prospects. At that time most prospects stayed closer to home due to TV being limited to regions, so high school games were also a source. I sill have the Forrest guide with Emmit Smith as the SE high school player of the year.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
Bama magazine also used to have recruiting snippets. Basically it would either list states or positions and give a little info on prospects. At that time most prospects stayed closer to home due to TV being limited to regions, so high school games were also a source. I sill have the Forrest guide with Emmit Smith as the SE high school player of the year.
I remember this also. One I also remember is he had Kevin Faulk as the POY (went to LSWho and played for the Pats in the NFL).

Matt0424

All-American
Jan 16, 2010
Hoover, Al
The one I remember most had Tee Martin as Alabama player if the year (he edged out someone from my High School), and the SE POY was Tim Couch.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.