Blake Barnett not at practice?

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Bamabelle,

You can rupture your spleen and bleed internally so it could be that. Maybe he took a lick leading the scout team? If Coach Saban says he should be back next week surely it can't be too bad? I can barely take care of myself much less diagnose anything.....lol
Having had a sister have hers rupture spontaneously, I can tell you that it's an ambulance, siren screaming medical emergency to get the spleen out and shut off the blood flow. And you're not back to work in a few days...

TrueCrimson7

All-American
Sep 21, 2014
USA
Saw in the "Latest Bama News" sticky thread that Blake Barnett's dad praised the Alabama staff on twitter for its professionalism and care in his son's illness. I'm happy for Blake and the support his family is receiving.

russtang

All-American
Apr 11, 2007
Central Alabama
www.uniquetitanium.com
If you want to here a crazy spleen story, I'll tell mine.
I ruptured mine at practice in the 9th grade.
I tackled the QB with a textbook form tackle and as he was going to the ground back first, he drew his legs up and his knee went into my gut as I landed on him.

It kinda knocked the breath out of me and I lay there a minute before I got up and went to the sideline groaning. I stayed on the sideline the rest of practice and never could catch my breath because it hurt to take a full breath. I heard quite a few "come on "P" words" and some "be toughs"
and "let's go Anderson suck it up and get back on the field"

Heck, I couldn't breath, it hurt to move or walk. I went to sit on the sidewalk and wait for my mom to pick me. I waited and waited and waited. The coach finally came out of the gym and asked if I needed to make a phone call and I told him my mom should be here soon.

Coach told me to soak in some hot water when I got home and I'll be fine then he left. I was the only person left on the school grounds.
So as I'm sitting on the curb, hurting, not breathing fully, three kids from the subdivision beside the school started throwing rocks at me from the top of the hill. I couldn't see them at first but I heard the talking pretty loud when they got close with a couple of throws.

I went back inside the little airway where they couldn't see me hoping they would quit. I remember praying "please God let my Mom hurry up and get here" because I thought I was going to have to fight these three dudes on the hill and I couldn't fight or run. lol

Thank God they never came down there to confront me. My Mom finally showed up. I can't remember what the reason was for her being late now, but I was just glad she made it period.
The ride home was pretty rough. I felt every bump and the pain was increasing as time passed.
When I got home I could hardly get undressed to get in the tub. I sat in the hot water about 5 minutes and told my Mom I just hurt too bad and needed help.

So they took me to the ER and after being poked and prodded by every person with a lab coat on they finally take some xrays which show nothing. After some more poking and mashing by 5-6 people they decide to do exploratory surgery. By this time the pain was about a 7-8 all the time and when I had to take a full breath, it was a full 10 on the pain scale.
I was taking quick shallow breaths as long as I could and had several times I thought I was going to pass out.

So after exploratory surgery they find that my spleen was split in half like a grapefruit.
I should have bled to death on the practice field. One of the several times I was blessed to still be alive.

I have a scar from my sternum to my navel and after 33 years I still find myself slumping down sometime from the habit I developed after that surgery. It felt like I was going to rip my guts open if I stood up straight and never got over it 100%

Yes, a spleen injury can be serious.

Last edited:

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I saw an article in the USA today about a football player a few weeks ago. Got tackled in the game. Went to the sidelines and within minutes was in so much pain that they decided to take him to the hospital. He died on the way to the hospital. Enlarged spleen ruptured on the tackle.

tidefanbeezer

All-American
Sep 25, 2006
Atlanta, GA
I saw an article in the USA today about a football player a few weeks ago. Got tackled in the game. Went to the sidelines and within minutes was in so much pain that they decided to take him to the hospital. He died on the way to the hospital. Enlarged spleen ruptured on the tackle.
I think Chris Sims had his spleen rupture on a tackle as well. He didn't die though.

bamabelle1991

All-American
Jan 1, 2009
South Alabama
That was the QB somewhere in New Jersey, I think. Said his spleen was so big it had dropped partially down into his abdomen (from being protected by the ribs) and that is why the hit to the gut ruptured it. So sad.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.