Link: Phil Steele Ranks Offensive and Defensive Performances Compared to Opponent Average

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I'm turning into a little bit of a stats geek with stuff like this, so I'm going to try to update each week as Steele updates the rankings.

I have broke down the offensive and defensive averages and in today’s blog I took all those averages (both offense and defense) and combined them to come up with the most impressive teams in the country compared to how they fared against their opponent. Here is a ranking of all 128 teams and how they did. This list does take out Garbage yards that may occur during overtime and/or blowout wins/losses. You you may see a difference in rankings from the Game by Game Stats listed on the actual Teams Pages. The team page game by game stats include garbage yards.
Rankings through Week 6

Last edited:

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
Can't be right: Aubrens is 73. I thought Gus was a genius, and Boom! was the best DC around.

I guess Phil is biased.

(Unofficial semi-blue font, since it is semi-true.)

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
OK, now that I have that out of my system.............

How does he come up with BU #1? Sorry, not impressed with their brand of HS football.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
OK, now that I have that out of my system.............

How does he come up with BU #1? Sorry, not impressed with their brand of HS football.
Because Baylor's offense is gaining - on average - 206 more yards than their opponents average giving up along with BU's defense holding opponents' offenses 113 yards below their average. Combine the two, and Baylor exceeds opponents' averages by 320 yards.

Now, I expect that to change solely based on the defenses Baylor has played thus far.

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
My quibble is the part about taking out garbage yards. BU loves to run up the score, on the meek and timid.

Which, as you pointed out, is pretty much what they have played. So, one could argue he could have taken out more garbage yards, as their games are garbage.

(Yes, everyone is probably tired of my rants against TCU and BU.)

BamaDMD

Hall of Fame
Sep 10, 2007
Rainsville Al
I am not surprised with michagans #2 defense ranking. They have shutout three opponents, but didn't know BC had such a stingy defense.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
My quibble is the part about taking out garbage yards. BU loves to run up the score, on the meek and timid.

Which, as you pointed out, is pretty much what they have played. So, one could argue he could have taken out more garbage yards, as their games are garbage.

(Yes, everyone is probably tired of my rants against TCU and BU.)
I see what you mean. I do wonder at what point in a game he decides the game is a blowout. Did he only include Baylor's yards for the first 13:15 against Kansas since the score was 24-7?

mittman

All-American
Jun 19, 2009
The interesting stats to me are BC and TCU. Number 1 on one side of the ball and absolutely pitiful on the other side.

BamaBuc

All-American
May 12, 2003
St. Pete Beach, FL
crimson-fan.neocities.org
I'm turning into a little bit of a stats geek with stuff like this, so I'm going to try to update each week as Steele updates the rankings.
I do like looking at stats, I try to study them - breaking them down etc., but as cuda.1973 says running up the score on a lesser opponent only tells me you and your team have a complex - how about that Art Briles, but as they say stats are mostly for loser's...
{Take the Big Fat Hawg when he was HC for the Badger's, he would leave his starters in until half-way through the 4th Qtr. trying to score all the while...}
On the other hand you can't measure 'HEART', want to, will to etc.
That's why some of these games that should be a 20 pt. win turns into a 3 pt. loss - HEART!

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I am not surprised with michagans #2 defense ranking. They have shutout three opponents, but didn't know BC had such a stingy defense.
I knew that BC's defense had been playing well, but I was also surprised by the number.

BamaBuc

All-American
May 12, 2003
St. Pete Beach, FL
crimson-fan.neocities.org
Originally Posted by BamaDMD
I knew that BC's defense had been playing well, but I was also surprised by the number.
BC's rankings are based on a truly light schedule (FSU being the only opponent I would call tough - I watched that game and didn't think FSU looked very good at the time - and still don't!)...
Michigan's is most definitely deserved...

Maine - W - 3 - 24
Howard - W - 0 - 76
Florida State - L - 14 - 0
Northern Illinois - W - 14 - 17
Duke - L - 7 - 9
Wake Forest - L - 3 - 0

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
BC's rankings are based on a truly light schedule (FSU being the only opponent I would call tough - I watched that game and didn't think FSU looked very good at the time - and still don't!)...
Michigan's is most definitely deserved...

Maine - W - 3 - 24
Howard - W - 0 - 76
Florida State - L - 14 - 0
Northern Illinois - W - 14 - 17
Duke - L - 7 - 9
Wake Forest - L - 3 - 0
I agree, but this type of statistical analysis takes all of that into account.

WiliestBuckeye

BamaNation Citizen
Sep 13, 2015
Very interesting, its too bad he didn't somehow adjust it for the opponents strength on offense/defense vs the rest of the country. Regardless some surprises on that list. Didn't realize West Virginia, BC , and Cincinnati were so dominant. App state and Bowling Green inside the top 30 also a surprise. Great find though, love Phil Steele's stuff.

Nolan

Hall of Fame
Jul 4, 2006
Oahu
Because Baylor's offense is gaining - on average - 206 more yards than their opponents average giving up along with BU's defense holding opponents' offenses 113 yards below their average. Combine the two, and Baylor exceeds opponents' averages by 320 yards.

Now, I expect that to change solely based on the defenses Baylor has played thus far.
Yes, I think Baylor's numbers will come back to earth a little as the season wears on. Not much, however, because of the style they play. Their offense and point production makes their defense look better. They get up by so much so early the other team's plan goes out the window.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
He lost me saying the first column was 1 thru 12 (for 12 games a year) and then had most numbers in column one above 12.
That is my fault for not including the first paragraph. The part you about 12 games a year is something different:

Every year I am adding to new features and articles to my College Football Preview and PhilSteele.com and for all 128 teams I have added a couple extra columns to the Game-by-Game Stats that you will find on for every team. A lot of people have been asking me what those columns stand for and I thought I would explain it further in today’s blog.

A couple years ago during the season I was wondering how certain offensive and defensive performances that a team had vs a particular opponent stacked up on how the other opponents fared against that team. Not every performance as far as yards gained and given up is created equal due to the quality of opponent played. So to the right of the net yards and points columns, you will see an offensive vs foe and defensive vs foe numbers. The first # is what that performance ranked compared to every other team their opponent allowed throughout the year (#1 being the best, with #12 being the worst since most teams play 12 games) while the second column contains the number of yards positive or negative against their opponent’s average.
I'll fix the OP to include the pertinent information.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.