JessN: Texas A&M preview: Improving defense, explosive offense gives Aggies a chance

JessN

Administrator & Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Last edited by a moderator:

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
If we play well, this is the way a lot of us think the game will play out. I'll be watching our DBs during broken plays. Those breakdowns were the only thing that kept the game close the last time we were there.

Nolan

Hall of Fame
Jul 4, 2006
Oahu
Thanks Jess, hope you are right.
Me too. I like that score pick. I could definitely see that.

How's this for a blood pressure game? aTm leads 21-17 with five minutes to go. Only then do we score two TDs to finish 31-20... Idk if I could take that.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
When I saw the team with the advantage in these two groupings, I knew who Jess picked.

OFFENSIVE LINE
In addition to being just so-so at run blocking, the Aggies have allowed far too many sacks. Texas A&M ranks 95[SUP]th[/SUP] nationally in the category. Mike Matthews is a good center and Joseph Cheek a good player at guard, but the rest of the unit is troubled. Right tackle Germain Ifedi was expected to be the next great A&M lineman, but it hasn’t really gone that way. The left side of the line – tackle Avery Gennesy and guard Jeremiah Stuckey – has been problematic. Jermaine Eluemunor might play some at guard, as could freshman Keaton Sutherland. Koda Martin and Coda Lanfear provide depth. Alabama counters with Ryan Kelly at center flanked by guards Alphonse Taylor and Ross Pierschbacher and tackles Dominick Jackson and Cam Robinson. Pierschbacher has become a dependable option at guard, while Robinson has immense talent at tackle but has been inconsistent. Alabama has the edge in depth, which includes Bradley Bozeman at center and guard, along with J.C. Hassenauer inside and Lester Cotton at tackle. Neither grou
p is playing to potential, but Alabama’s depth edge pushes the Crimson Tide ahead slightly. Advantage: Alabama
DEFENSIVE LINE
Alabama’s defensive line is the best in the country and is almost endlessly customizable depending on the opponent. Against Texas A&M, A’Shawn Robinson and Daron Payne will man the middle, with Jonathan Allen, Dalvin Tomlinson, Jarran Reed, D.J. Pettway and Da’Shawn Hand playing the outside positions. Darren Lake and Josh Frazier offer depth inside. Alabama ranks 28[SUP]th[/SUP] in sacks despite not employing a sack-heavy scheme. Texas A&M has one of the premier pass rushers in the country in defensive end Myles Garrett, who has 9.5 tackles for loss and 7.5 sacks. Daeshon Hall has been just as impressive at the other end slot (6.5 TFL, 5 sacks) if for no other reason than his performance was unexpected. Julien Obioha and Alonzo Williams will start at the tackle positions. They can be active as gap-shooting linemen against running games, but haven’t been so hot as pass rushers. The primary issue is size; Obioha is 265 pounds playing tackle in a 4-3 in the SEC. This is definitely a transition year for Texas A&M, but the only thing in transition relative to Alabama’s defensive front are the running backs who transition from alive to dead when hit.Advantage: Alabama
If Alabama's DL is able to dominate TAMU's OL, Kiffin won't be fond of the play calling Saban will want him to call - run, run, run, run, run and run some more.

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
I have to say that I think our Secondary is improving and it's showing over the past few games. That being said, it does help the Secondary since our "pass rush" is improving. Maybe not "sacks", but "hurries".

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
I have to say that I think our Secondary is improving and it's showing over the past few games. That being said, it does help the Secondary since our "pass rush" is improving. Maybe not "sacks", but "hurries".
our d this season seems to have an aggressiveness, intensity, and "it" factor that was missing at times last season

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
Listening to CNS in his presser, I got the distinct impression that we`ll see a good bit of rabbit package on D. Time to have a lot of speed as opposed to bulk on the field.

bigjue24

Suspended
Dec 2, 2009
Okeechobee, FL
Hope the rule that the team that controls the line of scrimmage usually wins the game holds true. Turnovers can negate this, so we naturally have to keep those to a minimum. I'm just not convinced that we can't bottle up their passing game. They have no hope of running, and I think this secondary is good and getting better. They don't have an Evans or Treadwell type big receiver. Look for Cyrus to shadow Kirk all over the field like he did with Mitchell. This rabbit package is what I'm looking forward to. I'm ready to throw out the mush rush against a spread passing team like A&M. It still works good against run based spread teams like the Barn, but I want to just see guys getting after the QB with some aggression.

TIDEnGA

All-American
Sep 25, 2007
Opelika, AL
Thanks so much Jess! I HOPE you're right. I'm going to Kyle Field for the 1st time and don't want to leave disappointed. Roll Tide!

bamanix

1st Team
Mar 24, 2010
thanks jess. I worry about the off line a lot. our tackle play has been inconsistent, the blitz up the gut has hurt the deep ball a lot. I notice that our tackles rarely get tight end blocking support against the good outside rush teams, and A&M is the best outside rush team. it really worries me, that we don't have the option to help with tight end blocking. howard is a receiver, not a blocker, we have to bring in off linemen, or def linemen to play blocking tight end. our run game and passing has suffered. I remember kiffin used the tight end a lot at tenn and usc.
win and we are still in the hunt, lose and its all over.

Crimson Speed

All-American
Oct 2, 2005
The Shoals, North West Alabama
Good review Jess. With that said, I will be happy to get out of there with a one point victory. This is going to be a tough one. We have to play a very good offensive game, have good defensive backfield performance, and keep our foot on the gas pedal. These guys are so explosive and we have to stay focused.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.