JessN

Administrator & Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Texas A&M wrap-up: Bama’s defense lowers the boom on Aggies
by Jess Nicholas
TideFans Editor-In-Chief
October 18th, 2015 02:36 AM

By Jess Nicholas TideFans.com Editor-In-Chief Oct. 18, 2015 If Alabama is going to make a run at a national championship, one of the things that must happen for the Crimson Tide has undeniably begun to happen the last two or three weeks: The defense is getting incrementally better every game. Alabama traded the I-formation offenses […]

Read More Here

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
Unusual game in that we physically dominated so much of it, yet had to make three stops in that one series or risk being overrun in the second half.

Jake was very good. Ragland ran down supposedly faster players all day long. The secondary had maybe two or three breakdowns, and our eighth and ninth defensive lineman would be all-conference on just about any other team.

Yet we can get so much better. Anytime we have third and 2, I start squirming, and our thinness at RB and receiver (AS' name was hardly called yesterday) is becoming a real concern.

As far as identity football is concerned, however, this was mythic. We may lose a game down the road, but WE ARE ALABAMA.

Last edited:

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa
Excellent wrap up Jess. I couldn't agree with you more about RB depth. My guess is Bo just doesn't have the playbook down well enough and/or pass blocking needs work much like Derrick's fr year. I also would prefer him not carrying 32 times but absolutely understand how it was a must yesterday.

The most disappointed I was the lane discipline being thrown out the window again. It's been a while but I'd prefer that bad habit to not come back. Honestly, with the athletes we have we should NEVER have a punt get returned all the way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
Great analysis as usual, thanks Jess. I love Jake's toughness and it is obvious he can make some plays with his feet, but he needs to get down rather than take unnecessary hits. Special teams may come back to haunt us at some point. I hold my breath on kickoff and punt returns.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Loved this write-up. Hope Kelly is okay, and hope to see Bo run the ball some against TN.

Roll Tide!

bamanix

1st Team
Mar 24, 2010
thanks jess. I am so glad you pointed out it was not cokers passing ability it was his lack of protection, especially when Kelly was gone. Kelly calls all the off line matchups. once, A&M put a 5th player in the middle, using a five man def line, we were doomed. they stopped the run inside the tackles, and harassed coker. scary. I keep asking about any tight endblocking help for cam, and Dominick. non existent. henry is our rushing attack, and that worries me with our remaining schedule.

tide power fan

All-SEC
Nov 26, 2011
Good write up, I think we need Bo are Harris to step it up to help Henry out at running back, Drake needs to have a big game, it is in him

bamacpa

All-American
Jul 19, 2006
The RB depth was a concern for me back in the summer, and the lack of Harris stepping forward ala Mark, Trent and TJ in their frosh years is the proverbial elephant in the room, offensively. I did think the D line for LSU looked better than anticipated last night, so we need to be ready for that one.

CrimSonami

All-American
Jul 17, 2011
Ardmore, AL; too close to 10erC
Spot on as usual. Yes RB depth/experience is concerning. Bo will be a great one but we have to remember he's not that far removed from surgery. Damien Harris is serviceable at this point. Hopefully the light will come on soon.

RTR!!!

mulletover

All-SEC
Dec 1, 2009
Cullman Alabama
The RB depth was a concern for me back in the summer, and the lack of Harris stepping forward ala Mark, Trent and TJ in their frosh years is the proverbial elephant in the room, offensively. I did think the D line for LSU looked better than anticipated last night, so we need to be ready for that one.
Harris hasn't played enough snaps to generate a fair comparison to the likes of Ingram or Trent. When is his turn we'll be fine.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
It's time for Bo to get his feet wet in 'Big Boy Football'. He's big enough and strong enough to spell Henry. Harris has the heart, but lacks the size to blast up the middle. Drake has been ineffective up the middle against better Defenses. The only way we answer the question about Bo is to put him in and let him run. Can he do it? Maybe. Is he ready? Maybe. We are going to need help before we play LSU. Time to temper Bo under fire.

tidefan39817

All-American
Jan 17, 2006
Bainbridge, Georgia
What is the answer at special teams? With recruiting, the athletes are there. You can't coach someone how not to fumble. The aggie made a text book strip on the fumble. However you can coach lane discipline and blocking on the line. It's maddening at time but what part of practice do you take away from to spend time on it? You can't blame coaching on J.C.'s performance. He goes against what is considered one of the best dline's in the country everyday in practice. I also remember people calling for Kelly to be benched his first full year of starting. Just got to keep playing

BubbaOne

Scout Team
Jun 27, 2007
Tucker, GA
Excellent analysis as always.

In the past we have had a solid RB to replace the bell cow going to the NFL. Not so this year.
When Henry and Drake go all we have is Harris and untested Bo. Nick has to play Bo or
he better hope Emmons or some other incoming RB is all world.

All that said none of our RB's can show talent because our OL is beyond pitiful.
When Kelly went out was sure Bozeman would take over. Nope Hassenauer who
looked worse than Kelly. Coker had a TD with Ridley but our OL could not stop the
TAM 4 from sacking Coker. The source for failure is more on Cristobal than players

Bamafan P.T.

All-SEC
Oct 15, 2005
Tuscaloosa
We not only need RB help, we need more playmakers in general. Right now injury to Henry or Ridley would be devastating

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bamacpa

All-American
Jul 19, 2006
Special teams haven't been special in awhile, and there is clearly an upgrade needed. But, Kirk has at least 2 other ST TDs this year, so he does have uncommon talent. I can't believe we kicked to him again.
What is the answer at special teams? With recruiting, the athletes are there. You can't coach someone how not to fumble. The aggie made a text book strip on the fumble. However you can coach lane discipline and blocking on the line. It's maddening at time but what part of practice do you take away from to spend time on it? You can't blame coaching on J.C.'s performance. He goes against what is considered one of the best dline's in the country everyday in practice. I also remember people calling for Kelly to be benched his first full year of starting. Just got to keep playing

RollTideMustang

3rd Team
Aug 27, 2011
Killen, Alabama
www.myyearbook.com
I love CNN how bias they are. We can give such a good "DEFENSE" show there like meh! 2-3 clips VS some other team like Baylor, Standford, TCU, etc. I keep reading it's because we are boring to watch? How is that "DEFENSE" boring to watch 3 Interceptions are boring to watch return for TD?

Drewy26

1st Team
Aug 16, 2008
Montgomery, AL
The fact the Aggies were able to cause problems for Alabama despite being just average overall up front does not bode well against opponents with strong defensive lines, but thankfully for Alabama, the Crimson Tide is not scheduled to see another above-average defensive line during the regular season.
This makes me happier than a 5-star signee.

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
Anybody else you want to trash? One thing about the interweb, there's plenty of room.

QUOTE=BubbaOne;2693281]Excellent analysis as always.

In the past we have had a solid RB to replace the bell cow going to the NFL. Not so this year.
When Henry and Drake go all we have is Harris and untested Bo. Nick has to play Bo or
he better hope Emmons or some other incoming RB is all world.

All that said none of our RB's can show talent because our OL is beyond pitiful.
When Kelly went out was sure Bozeman would take over. Nope Hassenauer who
looked worse than Kelly. Coker had a TD with Ridley but our OL could not stop the
TAM 4 from sacking Coker. The source for failure is more on Cristobal than players[/QUOTE]

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.