How do we matchup against Baylor?

Loam

All-SEC
Oct 20, 2014
Think of Baylor as a power running team. I know that sounds crazy, but in a sense they are. They are a power run team between the tackles and a finesse passing team outside the hashes. Two different offenses at the same time.

Everything starts with their running game and their running game is almost exclusively the run-bubble out of an unusual formation. The passing game (other than 3rd and long situations) is almost exclusively play-action and is designed to take advantage of safeties reacting to the run for big plays deep. The TE and RB ALMOST NEVER go out on pass routes but instead block. This makes pressure extremely difficult. However, their QB only has at most two reads (sometimes only one if he looks to the single receiver side) then scrambles. I RARELY see Baylor QB's standing in the pocket picking teams apart. The offense is very simple. In fact, the Baylor QB never reads the backside at all. He chooses a side to read and the other side's receivers don't even finish their routes because they know once he chooses a side that's it.

As weird as it sounds, the key to beating Baylor is to stop their running game. But you'd need a team that is capable of doing it with just their DL and perhaps a single LB. Luckily, we are one of the teams that can do this. Ohio State probably could too and perhaps LSU could. However, no team in the Big 12 can. This is why Baylor puts up gaudy rushing statistics against Big 12 competition.

...not to mention, a lot of Big 12 teams are downright intimidated by Baylor's offense and they play tight instead of being loose. We wouldn't be afraid of them.

Last edited:

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
The only Big-12 team that would concern me at all is Oklahoma.
Neither Baylor nor TCU are anywhere close to physical enough to play with us.
We'd kill them both.
The best team in America, that we would have to play, at the end of the year, should we make the playoff, is, IN MY OPINION, Ohio State. I know they've been kind of floundering around trying to find themselves, but guess what? We have too.
We're getting close to being a very good football team if we can keep our special teams from totally turning the game around. Right now, they're beyond horrible.
But as far as Baylor, in my opinion they might score 21 against us, and I think we may score 70 against them.
sip

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL
Surely you are not comparing Saban who is 10-2 in championship play (SECC and BCS and playoffs) vs Briles who has lost both major bowls he has played in - always as the favorite. He has done a great job at Baylor but to refer to that record similarity is a joke and you probably know it. In fact, to put he and Saban in the same sentence at this point is ridiculous.
The point is that losing the last two bowls is not very meaningful, and makes no sense to use it as evidence of poor or even overrated coaching.

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
The point is that losing the last two bowls is not very meaningful, and makes no sense to use it as evidence of poor or even overrated coaching.
If that is what he meant, I would agree with him. OTOH, many Bama fans have become not only unappreciative of what Saban has done for Alabama, but passively hostile towards him for having "wasted" opportunities for even more success. It is madness as well as gross ingratitude.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
If that is what he meant, I would agree with him. OTOH, many Bama fans have become not only unappreciative of what Saban has done for Alabama, but passively hostile towards him for having "wasted" opportunities for even more success. It is madness as well as gross ingratitude.
Seemed pretty obvious what cbi suggested is what was meant.

Nolan

Hall of Fame
Jul 4, 2006
Oahu
Baylor is a dangerous team. They can make explosive plays and force you out of your comfort zone by making you come from behind.. Look at their bowl game against MSU last January, though. They put up points but couldn't stop the Spartans when it mattered most.

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
I overheard some pundits on the radio say that no team in the country can hold Baylor under 40 points and how a team will most likely have to score 50+ points in order to beat them.

Their HUNH isn't like Oregon, Auburn, A&M or any else's at all. Also, contrary to popular belief, Baylor plays power football. They love to run the ball more than people think they do. Baylor spreads the field out wide. They'll put their WR's dang near up against the out of bounds line at times. They also aren't a dink and dunk HUNH. They love to go deep early and often. Their WR's are scary good NFL talents too. That Corey Coleman and KD Cannon are two first round picks more than likely.

With that said, if we played Baylor, how do some of you feel like the game would go? I'd mainly like to ask anyone who has seen Baylor and Alabama play to give a detailed analysis if you're able.

I think Baylor will be in the final playoff 4, its not a lock, but I think its close to being a lock for them. So if we make it there too, then this discussion will be relevant.
That sure could provide great MOTIVATION for Alabama's Defense! I would even want the Bama D to put a goose egg on the scoreboard, but that may be asking way tooooooooo much. Maybe we could set a NEW Record for Ints. RETURNED for TD's!

I too think Baylor will be in the FINAL FOUR. They will outscore TCU and the Sooners. It may take at least 70 points against TCU.

I do think that you really need a 12 man DEFENSE against their kind of quality HUNH offense. Just think, if Texas had hired
Baylor's Coach Briles, they may be flying high about now instead of 2-4. It seems that no matter who their QB is, they still
win BIG! Someone down the road is going to make a very good decision and hire Briles' son as a head coach.

Loam

All-SEC
Oct 20, 2014
The only Big-12 team that would concern me at all is Oklahoma.
Neither Baylor nor TCU are anywhere close to physical enough to play with us.
We'd kill them both.
The best team in America, that we would have to play, at the end of the year, should we make the playoff, is, IN MY OPINION, Ohio State. I know they've been kind of floundering around trying to find themselves, but guess what? We have too.
We're getting close to being a very good football team if we can keep our special teams from totally turning the game around. Right now, they're beyond horrible.
But as far as Baylor, in my opinion they might score 21 against us, and I think we may score 70 against them.
sip
Only issue with this, is that I bet Baylor beats Oklahoma this year. TCU might too.

KillVols

1st Team
Oct 23, 2004
I used to say things like... no way that team can beat us...look at how little they are... then i was at the Sugar bowl when Utah beat us. I realize the circumstances but come on. Really I for one believe that no way Baylor can handle the likes of Bama... Being a season ticket holder at Baylor I have seen them score at will for three years now. Baylor lacks the defense and I think we would have to keep them off the field. The other thing i have notice is that Baylor doesn't travel well...the fans or the team. This is not good for Baylor post season. BTW- I have tickets to the Tenn and the LSU game!!!! See you Saturday! Roll Tide!

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Only issue with this, is that I bet Baylor beats Oklahoma this year. TCU might too.
It is a question of matchups. Alabama will crush any team that it plays that cannot line up and play with them on the LOS. Of the three, only the Sooners have a chance to do that. Yes, Baylor and TCU are faster that the Sooners, but Alabama would run on them all day long and they couldn't keep your d-linemen off their QBs.

KillVols

1st Team
Oct 23, 2004
and then on the first play of the Baylor/Bama game----Baylor scores a TD! LOL! Baylor will beat Oklahoma by 3 or 4 TDs.... hmmm I have tickets! Baylor beat Okalhoma 48- 14 or something last year --- In OK... the first time they have ever won there.

Last edited:

Marg

1st Team
Mar 24, 2003
Somewhere, AL
Baylor can't score 40 points if their defense can't get off the field.

I think we match up really well against them.
serious question. this is a sentiment i've heard for years, but never really understood. instead of a 41 - 40 game, things would be different because it is now 14 - 10? just because an opposing defense is on the field more does not impact the ability of that opposing team's offense. our offense may spend more time on the field... hopefully wearing down the defense in the process... but their offense WILL get the ball back throughout the game and if they are able, then they will still score. overall, yes, the score may be held to a lower number, but why is this such a more favorable outcome? does the defensive team think so highly of their offense to go down and get the game-winning TD in such a critical situation? if so, why not have the offense out there more if they are so "clutch?" only using your generic score as an example... yes, they would not be able to score 40 if their defense couldn't get off the field. however, we could not either if we were looking to shorten the game with more clock-killing plays. i have just never understood the strategy of the "wear-em-down" offense outside of the (hopefully misguided) notion that it simply involved keeping it away from the other team until we drive down the field to win. i welcome insight!

mittman

All-American
Jun 19, 2009
serious question. this is a sentiment i've heard for years, but never really understood. instead of a 41 - 40 game, things would be different because it is now 14 - 10? just because an opposing defense is on the field more does not impact the ability of that opposing team's offense. our offense may spend more time on the field... hopefully wearing down the defense in the process... but their offense WILL get the ball back throughout the game and if they are able, then they will still score. overall, yes, the score may be held to a lower number, but why is this such a more favorable outcome? does the defensive team think so highly of their offense to go down and get the game-winning TD in such a critical situation? if so, why not have the offense out there more if they are so "clutch?" only using your generic score as an example... yes, they would not be able to score 40 if their defense couldn't get off the field. however, we could not either if we were looking to shorten the game with more clock-killing plays. i have just never understood the strategy of the "wear-em-down" offense outside of the (hopefully misguided) notion that it simply involved keeping it away from the other team until we drive down the field to win. i welcome insight!
Yes it reduces the number of opportunities for both teams, and that is usually a net wash. The real benefit is simple. When a defense is fresh they have a better chance of stopping an offense. If a defense is repeatedly coming right back on the field because you scored quickly, turned it over, or three and out they are put in a bad position. An offense that grinds the other defense down with long physical drives allows their defense to rest. In the end is much more effective for the team. If you have one of those quick scoring offenses you had better have a defense that is very deep, or in ridiculously good shape.

The cumulative effect may not be in the same game either. Over the season you wear your guys out.

Last edited:

Loam

All-SEC
Oct 20, 2014
Think of Baylor as a power running team. I know that sounds crazy, but in a sense they are. They are a power run team between the tackles and a finesse passing team outside the hashes. Two different offenses at the same time.

Everything starts with their running game and their running game is almost exclusively the run-bubble out of an unusual formation. The passing game (other than 3rd and long situations) is almost exclusively play-action and is designed to take advantage of safeties reacting to the run for big plays deep. The TE and RB ALMOST NEVER go out on pass routes but instead block. This makes pressure extremely difficult. However, their QB only has at most two reads (sometimes only one if he looks to the single receiver side) then scrambles. I RARELY see Baylor QB's standing in the pocket picking teams apart. The offense is very simple. In fact, the Baylor QB never reads the backside at all. He chooses a side to read and the other side's receivers don't even finish their routes because they know once he chooses a side that's it.

As weird as it sounds, the key to beating Baylor is to stop their running game. But you'd need a team that is capable of doing it with just their DL and perhaps a single LB. Luckily, we are one of the teams that can do this. Ohio State probably could too and perhaps LSU could. However, no team in the Big 12 can. This is why Baylor puts up gaudy rushing statistics against Big 12 competition.

...not to mention, a lot of Big 12 teams are downright intimidated by Baylor's offense and they play tight instead of being loose. We wouldn't be afraid of them.
Yep, this is how K State kept that game close last night. They defended run first against Baylor and did a fine enough job at stopping it. Then they played ball control on offense and had long clock eating drives against Baylor's D. I see a true power run offense beating Baylor pretty badly at some point this season.

pengoulin

BamaNation Citizen
Jul 29, 2010
Chattanooga, TN
Baylor can't stop the run. I didn't understand KState not running every down until they stopped them. They would have no answer for our run game. Plus, I don't think they would be able to run on us either.

tidefanbeezer

All-American
Sep 25, 2006
Atlanta, GA
Baylor can't stop the run. I didn't understand KState not running every down until they stopped them. They would have no answer for our run game. Plus, I don't think they would be able to run on us either.
The only thing that can stop our running game seems to be Lane Kiffin.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.