Link: Jake Coker - "I don't believe in slidin'." :)

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Re: Jake Coker - "I don't believe in slidin'." :)

He won the team over after the Ole miss.. and then his performance of lately, seeing his confidence rising and it has helped the team a lot... Now if we can get some decent blocking from Receivers... man.....

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al

Check out the stats http://espn.go.com/college-football/player/splits/_/id/514124/jake-coker

When we're on OWN 20-39 field position, Coker has thrown 5 ints.
On 1st downs, he has 6 touchdown and 4 ints.
On 2nd down, he has 5 touchdowns and 1 ints.

Take away 2 or 3 ints that wasn't Coker's fault, and that's not a bad stats.

I've noticed that instead of forcing the throws like he did earlier in the season, he's running lot more and His number is improving a little per game.

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover

I think his attitude has brought the team together and they'd follow him anywhere. That wasn't always true...
Agreed, leadership is desperately needed at the QB position. He's got 'em believing now. He is showing his dedication to the team and they are responding. Good to see.

RammerJammer14

Hall of Fame
Aug 18, 2007
UA

Check out the stats http://espn.go.com/college-football/player/splits/_/id/514124/jake-coker

When we're on OWN 20-39 field position, Coker has thrown 5 ints.
On 1st downs, he has 6 touchdown and 4 ints.
On 2nd down, he has 5 touchdowns and 1 ints.

Take away 2 or 3 ints that wasn't Coker's fault, and that's not a bad stats.

I've noticed that instead of forcing the throws like he did earlier in the season, he's running lot more and His number is improving a little per game.
Yeah he seems to be learning pretty quickly. It's kind of a shame that he only gets one season to prove himself as a starter. Not saying he should have started over Blake last season. Just that it would be nice to see his development with 2yrs on the field.

Imagine if AJ had only started 2013 for us. Would he have been as polished as a QB?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BamaGunner

BamaNation Citizen
Nov 6, 2011
Hoover, Al

CNS said that he asked the team at half how bad they wanted it and what were they prepared to do to get it. Jake answered that bell with hard nosed determination and punishing runs. IMHO, he is just the warrior this team needs.

davefrat

Hall of Fame
Jun 4, 2002
Hopewell, VA

Brave, bold but yet immature & borderline stupid. And he needs to protect his throwing hand/arm/shoulder.

It's cute and all fun & games until you don't get up. Needs to learn how to slide. And begin sliding

There's a reason why there's normally only 1 QB. We need continuity. Him going out would be disastrous
I would normally agree, but the team needed that from him on the first run.

that was one of the more important 5 yard runs I can remember in a while from the standpoint of getting the team juiced when we were starting to come apart at the seems a little bit.

heck, my wife and I got fired up with that one, I can only imagine what it meant to his teammates.

I think he really became the leader with that short run.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.

We are seeing this young man grow right in front of us.
US Army said:
A leader is anyone who by virtue of assumed role or assigned responsibility inspires and influences people to accomplish organizational goals. Leaders motivate people both inside and outside the chain of command to pursue actions, focus thinking and shape decisions for the greater good of the organization.
Congrats Jake. Roll Tide.

Last edited:

TideMom2Boys

Hall of Fame
Nov 17, 2010
Alabama

I love his intensity and team spirit....but I cringe every time he takes those hits even though he is a big man. We need him.

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL

In an interview today, Reggie Ragland was asked if the fellows on the team had given Jake a nickname. Ragland responded "We sometimes call him "Vanilla Vick". We thought that was better than the other one....Cam Cracker."

I nearly drove off the road I was laughing so hard....:biggrin:

DallasRTR

3rd Team
Jul 26, 2007

Does anyone have a link to the actual run? Apparently, I was not watching when the run happened -

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001

I saw an article where they asked Saban about Jake sliding or not...Saban said he'd hate to see him get hurt but he wasn't going to coach him to play timid. He liked seeing the fighting spirit.

From the Decatur Daily:
“I kind of like it when he runs over them,” head coach Nick Saban said Monday. “It’s the personality of the player. Jake’s a tough, competitive guy. He’s a big, physical guy. ... I don’t want to take his aggressiveness away because we’re fearful something bad is going to happen. I just don’t coach that way.”

...“Sometimes I wish he wouldn’t take the hits, but I kind of like to see the other team’s reaction when he does that,” Saban said.
http://www.decaturdaily.com/sports/...cle_ff4ffb1b-30f6-5e4f-bc2b-452a41635009.html

Last edited:

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS

I appreciate the heck out of Jake's efforts!!! Now..."Jake...use some common sense...we need you healthy".

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
I agree with his point about avoiding the cheap shots that you see when quarterbacks slide. Funny how there are no targeting calls, they're on the ground and the only part a defender can really get a shot at is the quarterback's head.

dvldog

Hall of Fame
Sep 20, 2005
Virginia
I agree with his point about avoiding the cheap shots that you see when quarterbacks slide. Funny how there are no targeting calls, they're on the ground and the only part a defender can really get a shot at is the quarterback's head.

This. The QB is basically defenseless and you are correct re: the head. I don't understand why it isn't a penalty to hit the QB anywhere if he is sliding. It doesn't appear to be.

Snuffy Smith

All-American
Sep 12, 2012
Huntsville, AL
I especially liked when Jake trucked #8. He was mouthy all day - even stood over him like he had really done something after Derrick Harvey :cool2: had reeled off a 20+ yard run and #8 stopped him by offering a human sacrifice (Henry basically trucked him but fell on top of him in the process). IMO safeties that are tackling running backs 20 yards downfield should just make the tackle and keep their mouth shut - nothing to crow about there. Now that I think about it - maybe Verne got confused between Henry and Harvey because he had to make so many stops on him on 20 yard runs.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
I especially liked when Jake trucked #8. He was mouthy all day - even stood over him like he had really done something after Derrick Harvey :cool2: had reeled off a 20+ yard run and #8 stopped him by offering a human sacrifice (Henry basically trucked him but fell on top of him in the process). IMO safeties that are tackling running backs 20 yards downfield should just make the tackle and keep their mouth shut - nothing to crow about there. Now that I think about it - maybe Verne got confused between Henry and Harvey because he had to make so many stops on him on 20 yard runs.
I saw that too and even mentioned it at the time it happened that this guy is an idiot for him to do this after getting clocked and he obviously did not realize he was the one who got trucked. Looked like the ref went up to him and basically said the same thing. I will give credit to #14, this kid played real physical.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.