Link: Phil Steele's Projected Final 4

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA
"I am very proud that my magazine was the most accurate in 2014, the most accurate the last 3 years, the most accurate the last 5 years, last 10 years, last 17 years, etc. I do not stop working on football once the magazine comes out. Check out the team pages on philsteele.com(Here) for all the updated stats each week. During the season, I work anywhere from 100-104 hours a week on football including a 21 hour Saturday. I have 12 TV’s that I watch, taking in the action all day long. I go thru every box score and play by play for each game. With that said, each week I will have a blog where I project my final 4 for the playoffs.

In my magazine, my top 40 is based on where I think the teams will FINISH, not where I would rank them at the start of the year. This is NOT where I would have the teams ranked currently if I was an AP Voter, it is where I feel the teams will finish this year. With that said, here are my current 4 teams to make the playoff."

OHIO STATE

The preseason No.1 Ohio State Buckeyes still have the best shot of making the playoffs despite their struggles this year. They only have road games at Rutgers, Illinois and arch rival Michigan left. They get to host Michigan State. Ohio State still figures to be at least a touchdown favorite in every single game and favored in the Big Ten title game and should remain No.1 throughout the year.

ALABAMA

The Tide has the best defense in the country, one of the best offensive lines, RB Derrick Henry, and an improving QB in Jake Coker. While LSU is undefeated and in a lot of folks final four right now, Alabama gets that game at home. The Tide will be favored in every game the rest of the way and with that defense, might just be the best team in the FBS right now. There is no doubt a one loss Alabama team makes the playoffs.

TCU

I am a voter in the Super 16 Poll for the FWAA and in that poll I currently have Baylor #1. They are playing the best ball of any team in the country and just blow out their opponents each week. If they were to play TCU THIS WEEK at a neutral site, I would favor the Bears by a TD. The reason I have TCU in my final four is that they get that key game against Baylor at home and catch Baylor in the middle of a hellacious November schedule and traveling on a short week. TCU’s injury plagued defense will either have the injured players back or the young guys they have filling in right now will all be experienced by week 12 of the season. Boykin vs Russell is a Heisman playoff battle as well.

STANFORD

Yes, Stanford has a loss, but they continue to get better by the week. Christian McCaffrey has a shot at breaking Barry Sanders record for all purpose yards in a season and he and Barry’s son run behind one of the top OL’s in the country. The defense is not as strong as past Stanford editions, but is still solid and last week gave up 2 long garbage drives to UCLA when leading 56-21, which hurt their stats. They have a veteran senior QB in Kevin Hogan, one of the best head coaches in the country, and their only remaining road trips are at Wash St and Colorado. I see them winning the Pac 12 title and making the playoffs.

Just outside the mix:

Phil Steele

RJ YellowHammer

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2009
Memphis, Tn
Phil thinks our OL is one of the best in the nation?
Phil sees what I see - a team improving every week. It's tougher to run the ball when the opposition knows you can't 'spread.' The thing is, as good as our defense is becoming, we might not have to throw to win.

Take care of the ball and the defense will take care of everything else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
another idiot in love with tcu...tcu will have at least 2 losses...baylor or OU will win the big 12...i dont understand the lovefest with this school
Did you read the tcu piece or just look at the horn frog and precede to call one of the best people in his field an idiot? Because he does say at the moment he favors Baylor over tcu. He is more defending 3/4 of his final four preseason.

mittman

All-American
Jun 19, 2009
another idiot in love with tcu...tcu will have at least 2 losses...baylor or OU will win the big 12...i dont understand the lovefest with this school
Phil Steele is no idiot. Since Patterson took over TCU is usually pretty good on both sides of the ball. He is a very good defensive mind. I would rather have him as a coach than Briles or Stoops any day. Steele takes a lot more things into account than the average prognosticator.

scrodz

1st Team
Jan 29, 2008
Baltimore, MD
The thing I like about Steele is that even if I disagree with him, every opinion of his has a lot of research to back it up. He puts his reputation on the line with every pick, and touts his site based almost exclusively on his record. The majority of sports "journalists" are only interested in page views, and promote the most controversial picks just to generate site traffic. Because they control the narrative, though, they never have to take any heat for their ridiculous assertions (Forde, I'm looking at you...)

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
It seems like a lot of the TCU hate on this board comes from Texas. It's almost like you guys don't want TCU to be good rather than do they have a good team. I don't think they're necessarily one of the four best teams in the country, but they are definitely top 10.

I have a lot of respect for Phil Steele. The only team I've seen him be consistently wrong with is Texas during their downward spiral.

MN-Tide

1st Team
Jan 2, 2007
Minneapolis, MN
It's interesting that he says Clemson is favored in the rest of their games, but doesn't include them in his final four. I guess Clemson is Clemson, and you just expect they will lose one that on paper they shouldn't.

BamaDMD

Hall of Fame
Sep 10, 2007
Rainsville Al
It's interesting that he says Clemson is favored in the rest of their games, but doesn't include them in his final four. I guess Clemson is Clemson, and you just expect they will lose one that on paper they shouldn't.
Are you alluding to "clemsoning". :biggrin:

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
If Clemson, TCU, tOSU and Utah all run the table, it is my opinion a 1 loss SEC champion is left out.
What makes you think that considering a 1 loss SEC champion was the #1 seed in the playoffs last year....above undefeated conference champions..

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
What makes you think that considering a 1 loss SEC champion was the #1 seed in the playoffs last year....above undefeated conference champions..
I agree with him - politics would win the day. But it isn't going to happen, so don't sweat it.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
Even Joey Galloway said no way they leave out a 1 loss Bama no matter how many undefeated teams there are but there will not be 4 P5 undefeated teams.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.