Link: Roy Exum: ‘The Third Saturday’

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA
"How do I see tomorrow’s game? No team is tougher against the run than Alabama. The defense gave up 44 yards in the whole game against Arkansas and last week held Texas A&M to a measly 32. Add the fact Alabama beat A&M on three interceptions, each for a TD, and I can’t see Tennessee running up many points. Offensively Alabama is every bit as talented, averaging 430 yards per game, and – mind you -- that is 5 yards on every carry and 10 yards on every catch.

Being honest, I’m thinking 41-14 Alabama, but this is “The Third Saturday in October” so you should expect crazy things to happen. They always do."

Roy Exum: ‘The Third Saturday’ - Chattanoogan.com

dvldog

Hall of Fame
Sep 20, 2005
Virginia
Great article! I liked his point about why the rivalry was so great. The two teams were so much alike. Very true Coach's day. Smallish but quick, hard hitting defenses that ran to the ball and conservative mostly running offenses. There was a time TN was my second favorite SEC team. Watching them was like watching Bama. Not so much anymore. Sorta sad, but time marches on.

davefrat

Hall of Fame
Jun 4, 2002
Hopewell, VA
Great article! I liked his point about why the rivalry was so great. The two teams were so much alike. Very true Coach's day. Smallish but quick, hard hitting defenses that ran to the ball and conservative mostly running offenses. There was a time TN was my second favorite SEC team. Watching them was like watching Bama. Not so much anymore. Sorta sad, but time marches on.
fulmer ruined the rivalry for me when he decided to go all covert op over the albert means affair.

I hope they never have another winning season and that we beat them for the next 50 years in a row.

bama2112

All-American
Nov 19, 2006
Cobb County, Ga.
Roy has written several articles about Coach Bryant and he is a heck of a sports writer. He is a dying breed. I remember when this game was something to look forward , but after Fulmer and Roy Cramer stuff its not hard to see why Bama fans truly despise UcheaT.

ccc2259

All-American
Oct 29, 2010
Lower Alabama
I guess it's natural for historical rivalries to lose their energy over time when one team dominates the Win column for 8 years in a row. The record for most consecutive wins is 11 by Bama (I think) during the 70's and early 80's. But believe me when I tell you, this was THE game Coach Bryant wanted to win each year. There was something extra special about playing Tennessee in his mind. Add to that the shenanigans of Phillip Full-of-it during the Albert Means fiasco, and this game is THE GAME of the year for me.

I hope we break our record of largest victory over them with a 52-0 beat down, but I have to admit I've extremely nervous about this game. I don't know how much the tragic death of Tenpenny affected our players' focus on preparation during the week, but it had to have been a distraction. With the funeral on Saturday, I gotta wonder where their minds will be. It's understandable, of course. But I certainly hope we're able to channel those emotions into a complete and total domination of that Orange Team.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
fulmer ruined the rivalry for me when he decided to go all covert op over the albert means affair.

I hope they never have another winning season and that we beat them for the next 50 years in a row.
He did, and what I'll never forget or forgive is that he needed help to do it, and got that help from the SEC office in the person of Roy Kramer, and the NCAA in the person of Rich Johanningmeier. Not to mention the rat of all rats, Tom Culpepper.

It was once a respectful, but intense, rivalry. Those days are forever gone.

I hope those toothless products of unnatural relations lose every game in every sport until they give up athletics altogether.

mittman

All-American
Jun 19, 2009
I've met Roy Exum a couple? of times, and from the little I know like him a lot. He is a friend of a very good friend. Guys like him are the reason the rivalry for me with UT is still not all about what happened with Fulmer. I understand the disdain. It may never get back the way it was and should have stayed. I for one blame the ones involved and not the entirety of their fan base.

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
I'm not sure Fulmer is completely responsible for the lack of respect that exists now in the UT/Bama rivalry. In fact, I think a similar level of non-respect (if that's a word) exists between most rival schools now. The anonymity of the internet allows us to totally debase a rival without fear of repercussion. The same hatred exists between Texas and aTm and the Texas guys blame it on the Aggies leaving for the SEC. They also hate Oklahoma (the land theives). I suspect tOSU and Michigan hate to be similar and heaven knows we have no love for the Barn.

All that said, Phil Fulmer is an easy guy to dislike.

CHATTBRIT

Hall of Fame
Dec 3, 2003
Falling Water, TN
I live in 10RC and have to listen to those orange-clad morons all the time. I mean just looking at that puke orange is nauseating and then listening to those swaggle-toothed cretins on how they are going to run all over Bama with Kamara & Hurd would be funny if it wasn't quite so sad. Keep dreaming you Rocky Flop idjets.:biggrin::biggrin:

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
"How do I see tomorrow’s game? No team is tougher against the run than Alabama. The defense gave up 44 yards in the whole game against Arkansas and last week held Texas A&M to a measly 32. Add the fact Alabama beat A&M on three interceptions, each for a TD, and I can’t see Tennessee running up many points. Offensively Alabama is every bit as talented, averaging 430 yards per game, and – mind you -- that is 5 yards on every carry and 10 yards on every catch.

Being honest, I’m thinking 41-14 Alabama, but this is “The Third Saturday in October” so you should expect crazy things to happen. They always do."

Roy Exum: ‘The Third Saturday’ - Chattanoogan.com
I liked it, if for no other reason, it illustrates to some of our younger members how Coach Bryant detested the nickname "Bear." We have some too young to have known him refer to him familiarly as "Bear." When we crossed paths and spoke, I never addressed him other than a respectful "Coach." For that matter, I always addressed Coach Moore, who was the same age as I, as "Coach." It seems to me to be a small gesture of respect...

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I've met Roy Exum a couple? of times, and from the little I know like him a lot. He is a friend of a very good friend. Guys like him are the reason the rivalry for me with UT is still not all about what happened with Fulmer. I understand the disdain. It may never get back the way it was and should have stayed. I for one blame the ones involved and not the entirety of their fan base.
Nevertheless, Fulmer had a lot of support from that fan base, then and even now. It still comes up on their boards...

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
I liked it, if for no other reason, it illustrates to some of our younger members how Coach Bryant detested the nickname "Bear." We have some too young to have known him refer to him familiarly as "Bear." When we crossed paths and spoke, I never addressed him other than a respectful "Coach." For that matter, I always addressed Coach Moore, who was the same age as I, as "Coach." It seems to me to be a small gesture of respect...
Agree Earle. I`d hazard a guess that the vast majority of those of us on this board who refer to him as Coach Bryant and nothing else are well over 40, maybe even 50. Would never call him anything but that.

mittman

All-American
Jun 19, 2009
Nevertheless, Fulmer had a lot of support from that fan base, then and even now. It still comes up on their boards...
No doubt.

The "ones involved" for me include a pretty large group. There were plenty that cheered it on fully knowing the chicanery. The ones I know under around 30 or so only like Fulmer because of the record, want to be relevant, and have no clue what actually went on.

Tradition4ever

1st Team
Oct 16, 2004
Carlsbad, NM
The way the article and other posters in this thread describe Coach Bryant's emphasis on winning the Tennessee game makes me think of how Coach Saban views the LSU game. It seems to me that Coach Saban really zeroes in on that game every season, and LSU, IMO, most resembles Bama both on the field and in terms of overall talent.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
The way the article and other posters in this thread describe Coach Bryant's emphasis on winning the Tennessee game makes me think of how Coach Saban views the LSU game. It seems to me that Coach Saban really zeroes in on that game every season, and LSU, IMO, most resembles Bama both on the field and in terms of overall talent.
I agree. UT used to resemble Bama...

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.