Anyone (other than Earle) feel old with Peyton mentioning playing Bama 20 years ago?

Sabanizer

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
Peyton Manning playing in a game against Bama 20 years ago means we have a roster full of players that were not even born yet. My age caught with me there, I forgot how long ago that was. I mentioned Earle because, in truth, he was already old 20 years ago :)

I actually thought the prior Heath Shuler years were the best I can ever remember at Rocky Top. Manning could never beat Florida, it took the next quarterback to take them to the promised land. He is and will always be a player with one of the best arms in history that had a bad case of detrimental Happy Feet in the biggest games, thus being an underachiever with any team overall. He played against us during our 15 years of imprisonment.

Sabanizer

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
Think how it must make Peyton feel. [emoji12]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
His arm looks the age this year :). Kind of sad, I admired him as a pro and hated him in college. If he had just had Eli's calmness under pressure.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
I was there. I really wanted us to beat him at least once. I think Freddie kitchens was our qb.
Yes, he was. We were 8-3 that year with the bowl ban. The next season was our best chance to beat Manning. Dennis Riddle had a monster game in Neylend and we led 13-3 but ended up losing 20-13 in very much similar fashion that we won today.

The tables have certainly turned in this rivalry.

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
I have been watching and cheering for Bama since 1959 -- when we moved from La. I have seen a lot of UA/UT games through the years and this was as good as any. Better than what I wanted...this wasn't a football game as much as a street fight -- and the tougher team won.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
I moved to Knoxville right after I got married and that fall was his freshman year. I was at Neyland and saw us beat him.

So I did feel old now that he is old. And regular Peyton is high pitched voice as it is. He could sing with the Four Tunesmen right now.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
I have a client who played lineman with Peyton at UT and he has a family with kids in high school here. He's a really great guy, as is his family, but the kicker is.....I went to high school with his father - a few years behind - but still...

Man I feel old now that you mention it!

BTW - I like Peyton - he's always been a good guy, IMHO. His TV commercials are hilarious....

BamaDMD

Hall of Fame
Sep 10, 2007
Rainsville Al
I have a client who played lineman with Peyton at UT and he has a family with kids in high school here. He's a really great guy, as is his family, but the kicker is.....I went to high school with his father - a few years behind - but still...

BTW - I like Peyton - he's always been a good guy, IMHO. His TV commercials are hilarious....

I really like the guy but man I wanted us to beat him.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Well, I don't feel old, but the way my memory works makes me an outlier anyway (I remember my trip to England on 9/16/75 as if it was yesterday).

That UT game was played October 14, 1995 at Legion Field (not BDS, which someone said on the broadcast today). Since we were bowl ineligible, I was more focused on my Atlanta Braves, who beat the Cincinnati Reds, 6-0, that night to clinch a spot in the World Series. Mike Devereaux homered for Atlanta to put it out of reach.

I had dinner at Outback Steakhouse that night with my sister, who had come over for a visit, and my soon-to-be-ex. The next day my sister headed back home to Mississippi (we were living in Little Rock) and her alternator gave out. I was at work and had to leave long enough to go pick her up. When I came back, I saw the Colts beat the 49ers, 18-17, on a late Cary Blanchard field goal.

I flipped over to watch the beginning of the game and they were celebrating the TD. I was at my first Tide game ever the next week - 10/21 against Ole Miss. It was not televised. We won, 23-9. That morning I bought two audio cassettes at a gas station, one was a Classic 70s rock tape with "Cat Scratch Fever" on it. I sat next to some Tide season ticket holders at Ole Miss, who were chanting for Freddie Kitchens to take over for Burd-dog.

No, I don't feel like that was 20 years ago or I'm old, but maybe I just don't have too many feelings because of my age.

:)

TideMom2Boys

Hall of Fame
Nov 17, 2010
Alabama

we like Peyton as well...but we were kids during the time he played at TN. So, we don't have that grown hatred of him.

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
I moved to Knoxville right after I got married and that fall was his freshman year. I was at Neyland and saw us beat him.

So I did feel old now that he is old. And regular Peyton is high pitched voice as it is. He could sing with the Four Tunesmen right now.

The Four Tunesmen cracks me up.

40 years ago I was a senior in Tuscaloosa. My parents used to go the UT/Bama game every year when Namath and Stabler played. I listened on the radio until the games started being on TV. Peyton seems pretty recent to me. Hell, 1976 seems like it was yesterday.

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
Gees...I remember all the way back to Bobby Scott playing QB and Jack "Hacksaw" Reynolds playing linebacker in the late 1960's.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Gees...I remember all the way back to Bobby Scott playing QB and Jack "Hacksaw" Reynolds playing linebacker in the late 1960's.
I easily recall Tony Robinson and Darryl Dickey, but those were the first Vols games I actually saw in the mid-80s.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.