FSU and Utes (about to) both bite the dust

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
we really need these pretender teams (Memphis, Houston, and Temple) to lose a game. I fear the committee will let one of those teams in over a one loss Alabama

RammerJammer14

Hall of Fame
Aug 18, 2007
UA
We need to beat LSU, and LSU needs to pound Ole Miss. I'm not confident AU or Ark can do that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
My thoughts? If Alabama does win out and doesn't make the SECCG, I think it will have to do with how things play out in the other conferences. If Clemson wins out, they are in. If Stanford wins out, even with one loss, they are in. Michigan State/Ohio State looms large. What if OSU beats MSU in a close game then loses to UM or in their championship game? Then there is the whole Baylor/TCU thing to sort through.

One thing I feel for certain. The 4th slot, if there is a one loss conference champion and a one loss Bama that didn't play in a championship game, the conference champion will get the nod. The committee has said that "being a conference champion" will weigh heavily in their decision.

And after the 2011 LSU-Bama rematch where Alabama won the BCS championship and last year with the whining by TCU and Baylor about being left out, I think they will look for a reason to exclude us.

So no...I don't trust the committee either.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
They were good to us last year. I think there is enough respect for our team if we win the SEC with one loss.
That committee is supposed to take excuses like 'key injured players' and other arbitrary data into account.

We lost to Ole Miss on:
a) a fluke play
b) a penalty not called
c) our QB not starting until the 2nd half because he was ill

by six.

We've got three legitimate excuses in the fantasy world of the Blue Ribbon Panel (so called because they consume six packs of that nasty stuff before discussing who they should rate too highly). If Colt being hurt is an excuse for a 17-point loss than you can damn well bet ONE of those is acceptable for a six - and we had three.

I'm just saying.

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
Never forget they can do anything they want. If you don't win your conference, you are not in. I am convinced of that.
I agree. No CCG and your conference has one, you ain't going to the playoffs. I disagree completely, but the whole playoff system we have now was partially born from 2011 and a lot of the national feeling that we did not deserve to be in New Orleans in the first place.

TideMom2Boys

Hall of Fame
Nov 17, 2010
Alabama
I agree. No CCG, you ain't going to the playoffs. I disagree completely, but the whole playoff system we have now was partially born from 2011 and a lot of the national feeling that we did not deserve to be in New Orleans in the first place.

I have a feeling we move to 8 teams in the future. That is the best option...5 conference champions and then 3 wild card teams.

Last edited:

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
I have a feeling we move to 8 teams in the future. That is be best option...5 conference champions and then 3 wild card teams.
I tend to agree with that, but how long after that do programs start clamoring for it to go to 12 or 16 teams? At some point you have to draw the line and say this is enough. This is not basketball.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
I just don't trust the committee.
My thoughts? If Alabama does win out and doesn't make the SECCG, I think it will have to do with how things play out in the other conferences. If Clemson wins out, they are in. If Stanford wins out, even with one loss, they are in. Michigan State/Ohio State looms large. What if OSU beats MSU in a close game then loses to UM or in their championship game? Then there is the whole Baylor/TCU thing to sort through.

One thing I feel for certain. The 4th slot, if there is a one loss conference champion and a one loss Bama that didn't play in a championship game, the conference champion will get the nod. The committee has said that "being a conference champion" will weigh heavily in their decision.

And after the 2011 LSU-Bama rematch where Alabama won the BCS championship and last year with the whining by TCU and Baylor about being left out, I think they will look for a reason to exclude us.

So no...I don't trust the committee either.
Why don't you guys trust the committee? Alabama had a loss last year and was the #1 seed in the playoffs - ahead of an undefeated conference champion..

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
Why don't you guys trust the committee? Alabama had a loss last year and was the #1 seed in the playoffs - ahead of an undefeated conference champion..

Memphis beating the team that beat us. If it comes down to Memphis or us, I think the committee chooses an undefeated Memphis. Then that same Memphis team will lose to whoever they play by 30+.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
I think people might be exaggerating the impact of the loss to Ole Miss. A loss is a loss, but that one was by a single score with plenty of excuses. It's not like they just kicked Alabama's butts, that would have been a different story, but anyone can look at that Ole Miss game and conclude that Alabama was capable of winning.

Anyway, FSU and Utah going down goes a long way to clearing things up. If Alabama beats LSU, and that's a massive if, but if they do it's hard to imagine a scenario in which they are not in the playoff. Other teams will lose, if Alabama just wins keeping them out will require a lot of fanciful thinking on the part of the committee.

For example though, people might want to make light of this Tennessee game, but according to Sagarin they are #23. That might sound crazy until you consider the fact that they've played the #5 SoS. They've only lost to good teams and they've been competitive.

Last edited:

CrimsonHammer

Scout Team
May 27, 2014
Clarksville, TN
If the current polls are at all accurate for the playoff, of the seven teams ahead of us, Utah lost last night, Michigan State or Ohio State is guaranteed to lose, Baylor or TCU is guaranteed to lose, and we play LSU. That should put us at 4. I am more worried about Stanford than a lot of other teams if they can win their conference. FSU losing just removed another undefeated opponent, but one of FSU or Clemson had a sure loss anyway. Now we should be for FSU against Clemson, I suppose. Oh, and Ole Miss must lose or we will probably be snubbed no matter what.

Bottom line: Ole Miss needs a loss and Bama needs to keep winning. It will work itself out. Utah losing was great news at this point (unless the voters/playoff committee decide they are still better than us...).

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.