Bama 3rd in nation in sacks, 5th in interceptions, 1st in passes defended

Sabanizer

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
Last week, before the game, the Vol boards were still talking about victimizing our "weak" secondary...
Young players being studs always makes our seasons interesting, and we have them this year like I haven't seen in a couple of years.

Coach Saban and Smart have found a way to adapt to the spread. Maybe tweaking the prototype player not so much with the overall scheme, other than less substitutions.

Mikah and Humphrey's progress rivals any two young db's I have seen under CNS.

CrimsonHammer

Scout Team
May 27, 2014
Clarksville, TN
That is awesome! That facet has improved dramatically from last year. I know that a few times that Dobbs got loose on Saturday, we would have had a defender lose his man for a big play down field last year. It has been really transformational what a couple of new new guys/swapped positions and Mel Tucker have been able to do with a glaring weakness. Now just imagine if they didn't have hands of stone yesterday. :eek:

DC Tide

1st Team
Sep 13, 2007
I know we are often "prisoners of the present" and overvalue current and recent teams at the expense of teams from the distant past. And, no, I haven't forgotten about Copeland/Curry. BUT ...

Serious question: is this the best college football defensive line that you've ever seen?

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
I know we are often "prisoners of the present" and overvalue current and recent teams at the expense of teams from the distant past. And, no, I haven't forgotten about Copeland/Curry. BUT ...

Serious question: is this the best college football defensive line that you've ever seen?
Definitely one of the best. The 92 unit with Copeland and Curry would be tough to beat though IMO.

Nolan

Hall of Fame
Jul 4, 2006
Oahu
The

Yes, IMO. As far as depth, versatility, all around contributions, the intelligence level (passes batted down). Best I've seen. I'm 34.

bama579

Hall of Fame
Jan 15, 2005
The Chukker or Archibalds

In 40+ years . . . Yes. Five or six likely in the NFL. Unfortunately for us, three of them likely next season.

theBIGyowski

All-American
Aug 4, 2005
Cumming, GA
For the first time in a very, very long time we are getting pressure on the QB without rushing 6+ guys. It used to be that we'd rush 3-4 regularly and then send a few LBs and a weak side CB or Safety on key downs. Now we can leave those guys back in coverage or use one of our LBs as a spy on a QB or RB.

Another thing we are doing well is pursuing QBs in the backfield after forcing them out of the pocket. When you make a QB run laterally, you tend to make him abandon 1-2 of his receivers and focus on a single person. This either leads to the QB throwing the ball away or forcing a pass that is easier to defend. This is why I am looking forward to the LSU game, because we are much better at forcing the QB to move, while still keeping him in front of us. We used to over-commit and allow mobile QBs to take off down field, but a change in technique and execution seem to have fixed that.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
Evans, Hand, Williams and Anderson on 3rd and long downs has been huge this year.....the pressure they have been applying has been very much appreciated ;)

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL

They are the best I've ever seen, and I go back to the 1990 season. Curry and Copeland were perhaps the best duo, and the rest of that 1992 DL was great, but this DL is much deeper and more talented. Curry and Copeland didn't face the OL talent that this year's team does, nor did that 1992 defense face the variety of offenses that this defense faces today.

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
This D line probably does have more quality depth and versatility than the '92 line had, I'll concede those two points. With the story of this season still being written, though, it will be interesting to see what they able to accomplish and how far they are able to help this team advance. Of course, an undefeated season is out of reach, but we could still win out and possibly play for a NC. Reaching those goals would go a long way toward firmly establishing this D right up there with both the 92 and '11 groups, indisputably two of the very best to ever take the field in BDS.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.