Question re OL

Moro Creek

All-SEC
Jan 21, 2014
Equine country
My how things change. I got toasted after the Wisconsin game for saying the O line was not very physical. But the truth of the matter is we're still winning, so the players and coaches must be doing pretty good.

runtheoption22

News|BB|FB|REC Moderator
Staff member
Nov 10, 2003
Cleveland
I thought we'd see a dominant line this year, but for whatever reason(s) we are not.

1) I'm not one to jump on the coach as my first instinct, but some has to be laid at the feet of CMC. We aren't consistent enough.
2) CR has to be hurt, or its the worst sophomore slump.
3) Lack of another game-ready RT. Jackson needs to be playing RG, he is a punishing run blocker there. Grant Hill's medical issue played a role there.
4. Play-calling, to an extent..... we seem to run into the teeth of a 50, but run wide on a 30 front, sometimes.
5. Non-warranted praise. I read that UGA game breakdown a multitude of times, but I thought we played pretty poorly except for a few big plays.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
I don't know about every body else but I seriously believe that Saban needs to let Kiffen go at the end of the season because he is killing our offense!!!!!!!
I actually would be okay with Kiffen moving on....but not because he's killing out offense....I think he runs the offense fine....

I just think he's not a good dude....and at some point, that comes back to haunt you.....Coach Saban usually has a good grip on when things start to slide the wrong way.....so I am guessing CLK won't be here next year....only because I don't think this was designed to be a long-term relationship to begin with.

WildTusk

BamaNation Citizen
Aug 26, 2009
I worry if there is something about the cadence or a "tell" one of our linemen is showing that is allowing the other team to jump the snap.

JamieSPC

1st Team
Aug 29, 2004
Maylene, AL
I worry if there is something about the cadence or a "tell" one of our linemen is showing that is allowing the other team to jump the snap.
I wondered this too, especially after it looked like a TAMU D-lineman was reading minds. Some of that is (hate complaining about officiating but it is what it is) offsides going uncalled. In the TAMU game it bordered on the miraculous on several plays, in my opinion...

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007
3) Lack of another game-ready RT. Jackson needs to be playing RG, he is a punishing run blocker there. Grant Hill's medical issue played a role there.

5. Non-warranted praise. I read that UGA game breakdown a multitude of times, but I thought we played pretty poorly except for a few big plays.
On Jackson, if I had my druthers -- and, admittedly, what do I know? -- we would have Jackson at LG and move Pierschbacher to RT. Pass protection couldn't be much worse from the RT spot, and that would let us play to Jackson's strengths a bit.

The UGA game is a classic example of how shortcomings getting papered over when the scoreboard lights up in your favor. That was a pretty ugly showing up front, but you get a special teams TD, a pick-six, and a long TD pass on playaction, and the scoreboard becomes lopsided and no one pays any mind to the fact that the offensive line got handled in the trenches by a fairly soft DL for much of the afternoon.

In general, I'm just a bit surprised that we haven't seen any personnel changes -- or even the hint of the possibility of them -- even though this group has struggled all season and is showing no signs of improvement. That is what really baffles me. I understand wanting to foster cohesiveness through continuity, but at some point it just feels like we are fulfilling Einstein's definition of insanity.

Last edited:

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
On Jackson, if I had my druthers -- and, admittedly, what do I know? -- we would have Jackson at LG and move Pierschbacher to RT. Pass protection couldn't be much worse from the RT spot, and that would let us play to Jackson's strengths a bit.

The UGA game is a classic example of how shortcomings getting papered over when the scoreboard lights up in your favor. That was a pretty ugly showing up front, but you get a special teams TD, a pick-six, and a long TD pass on playaction, and the scoreboard becomes lopsided and no one pays any mind to the fact that the offensive line got handled in the trenches.

In general, I'm just a bit surprised that we haven't seen any personnel changes -- or even the hint of the possibility of them -- even though this group has struggled all season and is showing no signs of improvement. That is what really baffles me. I understand wanting to foster cohesiveness through continuity, but at some point it just feels like we are fulfilling Einstein's definition of insanity.
Well, I suppose that if you wanted to make some changes, the bye week would be a good time. Time for some work together as a unit. Unless somebody`s hurt, though, I don`t see it happening at this point.

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007
Well, I suppose that if you wanted to make some changes, the bye week would be a good time. Time for some work together as a unit. Unless somebody`s hurt, though, I don`t see it happening at this point.
Well, Jackson is injured, and when he went out, Pierschbacher went to RT and Bozeman came in at LG. I would suppose that would be the line-up against LSU if Jackson can't go as well. Otherwise, you're right. If we haven't seen changes yet, I guess there is no real reason to think we will see them in the foreseeable future, either.

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
Thanks for the observations. It is obvious that we have trouble with quicker linemen...even undersized ones. On one play against UT our receiver and tackle ran into each other trying to block #21...he was by them before they could either get there. Later in the game that didn't happen as much.

I do believe that LK wants to showcase his offense rather than ram the ball down the opponent's throat...which is the offense that has worked best for us. Even with 8 and 9 in the box we ran the ball well against UT.

Here's hoping they get it worked out before LSU. RTR!!!

kayakerjess

All-American
Sep 9, 2005
Colorado
Have we snapped the ball "on 2" one time this entire year? It seems like "Down, Set, Hike" every time we line up, which is obviously an advantage to the DL. I don't think it's play calling as much as execution and missed assignments.

Skeeterpop

Hall of Fame
Jul 18, 2008
Everyone needs to remember that in our system the QB has a lot of checks and audibles thst can be made. I would say 30-40% of the plays are changes by the QB. He is also responsible for making sure the blocking changes and protections are made too. We have a first year QB. Dont be so quick to put all plays you dont agree with on CLK.

bamanix

1st Team
Mar 24, 2010
non coach here, but, I think it easy to see that our off line is average. suspect cam is hurting from a lingering injury. however, Jackson, taylor are journeymen linemen. Kelly is not a physical center, gets beat a lot up the gut. I have been hollering for the last three weeks, about the lack of tight end help on blocking. I know we don't really have blocking tight ends anymore. watching tenn Saturday was like watching the Oklahoma bowl game a couple of years ago. oklas stricker waiting till we went to the line and then taking on the tackle that had no tight end help. worked well. at least that year we had one good blocking tight end. each game there have been wide open receiver plays crossing the middle or the side line for sizeable gains, and coker did not have time to throw the ball. I believe this year will be the most sacks in the last 6 or 7 years. now I see why, sims won the job last year, no other way to complete passes to cooper. the two great pass plays in the tides last touchdown, was the result of great receptions by ridley and stewart. otherwise we lose that game. I don't know if two weeks is enough time to make our off line stronger, and better. it better be.

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA
You can't block 8 with 5! Bama needs to use a blocking back and the toss sweep to Henry. The big guy doesn't need but a couple of blocks. One from the OL and one from the blocking back on the LB shooting the gap. BYE! BYE! Looks like a runaway Coca Cola truck when they get him past the LOS!

Last edited:

runtheoption22

News|BB|FB|REC Moderator
Staff member
Nov 10, 2003
Cleveland
someone look or count up how many 10+ yard runs Henry has this season..... probably show just how inconsistent we are with big plays plus negative plays.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.