Freshness of the Defensive Line

I haven't put up a topic in a while and now it's the bye and we will have some downtime. So, a couple of question:

We have platoons of DL going in for the speed teams at all times and we rarely have the same combination of DL in twice. I believe our DL is very fresh, but do you all think that the bye is coming at a good time for them?

Coach has admitted that byes don't always help the team. Our rotation isn't experiencing any major injuries to note right now. So my other is do you think it will hinder production in the future?

I don't think it will buy it's interesting to say how they will respond from having a bit of time off.

Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus RTR

b2v4ua

All-SEC
Dec 12, 2009
Springville,Al
CNS said we needed this bye to heal up the nicks and that the players needed to do student things and take a mental break for a few days by not having to think about game plans etc.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I haven't put up a topic in a while and now it's the bye and we will have some downtime. So, a couple of question:

We have platoons of DL going in for the speed teams at all times and we rarely have the same combination of DL in twice. I believe our DL is very fresh, but do you all think that the bye is coming at a good time for them?

Coach has admitted that byes don't always help the team. Our rotation isn't experiencing any major injuries to note right now. So my other is do you think it will hinder production in the future?

I don't think it will buy it's interesting to say how they will respond from having a bit of time off.

In a way, I saw contradictions in his remarks about byes earlier and his later reference to their being dead-legged and needing a physical and mental break...

BamaDMD

Hall of Fame
Sep 10, 2007
Rainsville Al
I wondered about the DL also. It seems the OL needs it the most (or should need it the most), however the DL looked tired in the TN game and that seemed surprising with all the rotation and depth.

dtgreg

All-American
Jul 24, 2000
Tuscaloosa
www.electricmonkeywrench.com
Coach lied! He had to. No time to be tired last week. Had to push on through. Coaches have to do that all the time. No excuses allowed, real or imagined. Everybody knew we were tired; coaches, players, fans, everybody. Just can't allow it to be an excuse.

mittman

All-American
Jun 19, 2009

I don't think there is a single player on our team that doesn't need a bye at this time. I doubt we will have any of the issues people normally associate with a bye against LSU. That doesn't mean I think we are assured a win, I just don't see us having focus problems.

mittman

All-American
Jun 19, 2009
In a way, I saw contradictions in his remarks about byes earlier and his later reference to their being dead-legged and needing a physical and mental break...
Maybe. I saw it as addressing playing 8 straight games as much as playing a team coming off of a bye. The combination of the two probably makes it more evident.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
He was probably speaking more to the players trying to get them to overcome the thought of needing the bye. After the win, he knew he could actually say it was needed.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Saban said after the Monday practice that the Alabama players were moving just as fast in practice as they had during previous weeks. He used it as evidence that they were not showing signs of physical issues from the previous 7 weeks of tough play. After the TN game he said that it was clear that they were tired.

Love Saban, but he is saying what the fans and team needs to hear, not what he is really thinking. He saw, just as we did, that the offense and defense both played really well on their last opportunities after TN had taken the lead. Physically exhausted teams just can't do that at the end of games. Maybe for a play or two, but not for an entire drive.

The reality - they may have been mentally tired, and they may have been nicked up, but they were not physically exhausted. They performed poorly because they just didn't give each play the focus that it required, and they have done this in earlier games. Blaming it on fatigue isn't going to get it fixed. To fix the problem, you have to address the problem. Some Alabama players are either taking plays off or losing focus - either way, same result.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA

its been a tough season to date, so i think the time is good. also, i think this time might be good for further processing the untimely passing of tenpenny.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Saban said after the Monday practice that the Alabama players were moving just as fast in practice as they had during previous weeks. He used it as evidence that they were not showing signs of physical issues from the previous 7 weeks of tough play. After the TN game he said that it was clear that they were tired.

Love Saban, but he is saying what the fans and team needs to hear, not what he is really thinking. He saw, just as we did, that the offense and defense both played really well on their last opportunities after TN had taken the lead. Physically exhausted teams just can't do that at the end of games. Maybe for a play or two, but not for an entire drive.

The reality - they may have been mentally tired, and they may have been nicked up, but they were not physically exhausted. They performed poorly because they just didn't give each play the focus that it required, and they have done this in earlier games. Blaming it on fatigue isn't going to get it fixed. To fix the problem, you have to address the problem. Some Alabama players are either taking plays off or losing focus - either way, same result.
im guessing altee's passing had a pretty big effect on the team's energy this past week, that had to be hard on them.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
im guessing altee's passing had a pretty big effect on the team's energy this past week, that had to be hard on them.
Perhaps, but he didn't pass the week before your other home games. This didn't happen in only one game - that was my point.

bamamc1

Hall of Fame
Oct 24, 2011
Haleyville, AL
I don't think there is a single player on our team that doesn't need a bye at this time. I doubt we will have any of the issues people normally associate with a bye against LSU. That doesn't mean I think we are assured a win, I just don't see us having focus problems.
I would be much more worried if we were playing say Miss. St. instead of LSU. We will be ready.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
oh, i was talking about the d-line and looking sluggish/tired. the d hasn't been a problem at home
Ahh, if we are just talking about the d-line, I never saw them look sluggish against TN. The LBs and Safeties were a little slow when defending the edge, but I thought that the D-line played very well.

I thought that the thread had migrated to the team in general. My mistake.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I would be much more worried if we were playing say Miss. St. instead of LSU. We will be ready.
I tend to agree - the games in which you have struggled this year have had 2 things in common - you were big favorites and you were at home. I don't think that the problem was that you were at home.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Ahh, if we are just talking about the d-line, I never saw them look sluggish against TN. The LBs and Safeties were a little slow when defending the edge, but I thought that the D-line played very well.

I thought that the thread had migrated to the team in general. My mistake.
the first play i saw was the kickoff after we went up 19-14, so i didn't really get a good sense of things. the d looked pretty good the one series i saw them ;)

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.