Bye Week Topic: Looking at Running Back Next Year

FitToBeTide

All-American
Aug 19, 2001
St. Florian
I think that Saban realizes this and you will see Bo get carries after the LSU game - enough to evaluate his ability at the very least. I think that you already know what Harris can do - he just needs to improve his blocking. Another off season will get that done. But you need a quality 3rd back in the SEC, because injuries are likely.
Agreed. It's not feasible, but we need to sign a trainload of RBs every year due to the high attrition rate.

Snuffy Smith

All-American
Sep 12, 2012
Huntsville, AL
Good question about the OL. We lose Kelly and Jackson with the rest coming back, so the good news is we have a lot of experience coming back. Cam Rob will hopefully get back to being what he was last year once he's healthy. Taylor has played ok, but not great. RP seems to have done pretty well this year, especially since it's his first year to start.

Between Bozeman and Hassenauer, there's some experience at center. I'd imagine we'd lose some leadership and communication at first (although sometimes I worry about that now with all the pre-snap stuff that's happening), but Kelly also isn't as physical as would be ideal sometimes so we might improve there.

Jackson? it's hard to know. One play it seems like he's doing his DJ fluker impression and driving his guy downfield, the next he's not blocking anyone. Hopefully if we can get someone to just eliminate all the negative plays it will at least be a wash, if not an improvement. We might just see something against LSU if Jackson's injury keeps him out of the game. Sounds like Greene is next man up and while he's not quite as big, I'd have to bet he is much more agile on his feet since we've been playing him at TE a lot this year (and watching his catch last year).
I guess I assumed Cam would leave. I haven't really looked to see where he is rated amongst the current draft eligible OT's

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sabanizer

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
I read in some of these posts folks wondering if Tyren Jones could return to the program. I know its not an unprecedented move, but does anyone know the actual odds of this happening? I wouldn't be against it, as he would provide quality depth at the position.

I wonder if Earle or Mack or one of the other folks "in the know" have a feel for this.
I too believe this is a pertinent recruiting question, because I heard "tings". Imo, Tryen is an NFL caliber back, knows our system, and could easily come in as the starter and the only Jr. and continuing the tradition of showcasing a RB their Jr year.

gtowntide

All-American
Mar 1, 2011
Memphis,TN.
I realize we're talking about 2016, but we got some real studs committed for 2017 if we can hold on to them. The kid from California is the #1 RB for 2017.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Good question about the OL. We lose Kelly and Jackson with the rest coming back, so the good news is we have a lot of experience coming back. Cam Rob will hopefully get back to being what he was last year once he's healthy. Taylor has played ok, but not great. RP seems to have done pretty well this year, especially since it's his first year to start.

Between Bozeman and Hassenauer, there's some experience at center. I'd imagine we'd lose some leadership and communication at first (although sometimes I worry about that now with all the pre-snap stuff that's happening), but Kelly also isn't as physical as would be ideal sometimes so we might improve there.

Jackson? it's hard to know. One play it seems like he's doing his DJ fluker impression and driving his guy downfield, the next he's not blocking anyone. Hopefully if we can get someone to just eliminate all the negative plays it will at least be a wash, if not an improvement. We might just see something against LSU if Jackson's injury keeps him out of the game. Sounds like Greene is next man up and while he's not quite as big, I'd have to bet he is much more agile on his feet since we've been playing him at TE a lot this year (and watching his catch last year).
Worth noting Charles Baldwin, the #1 JUCO OT, is committed to Alabama. He very well could step in and replace Dom on the right side.

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
Kenyan seems to have lost a step IMO. Prior to being injured he just seemed to explode into high gear the second he touched the ball. It could be partly lack of OL production, but he just doesn't look as fast to me. If he can return to his pre-injury speed I think he's the guy. It will be interesting to see who ends up being the backup for the rest of the year.
My assessment as well. He simply does not have the burst that he had pre-Ole Miss 2014 and though he may be eligible for a medical shirt I don't see him asking for it OR being encouraged to apply for it. I think D Harris will figure in prominently in 2016 but he is not the typical, big bruiser back that Saban seems to prefer to have in his arsenal. We will no doubt develop BS and on top of that may very well go the juco route or see if we can find someone late in the recruitment process.

Last edited:

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
Agreed. It's not feasible, but we need to sign a trainload of RBs every year due to the high attrition rate.
I think the reason we had such high attrition recently is because we signed too many in one class. The Henry/Tenpenny/Kamara/Jones bunch was too much focus on a single position in one class, IMO. it's almost 100% that some are going to t-fer due to not playing, even if you spread them some with redshirts, and it hurts your ability to sign RBs the next year or two due to the log-jam at the position.

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
Worth noting Charles Baldwin, the #1 JUCO OT, is committed to Alabama. He very well could step in and replace Dom on the right side.
Very true - I didn't think about the JUCO guy. I'm sure he will be in the running right away. Anyone know if he's planning to enroll early? That seems to be the most reliable path toward PT in the first year for the JUCO guys.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I think the reason we had such high attrition recently is because we signed too many in one class. The Henry/Tenpenny/Kamara/Jones bunch was too much focus on a single position in one class, IMO. it's almost 100% that some are going to t-fer due to not playing, even if you spread them some with redshirts, and it hurts your ability to sign RBs the next year or two due to the log-jam at the position.
Since 2007, Alabama's recruiting classes have had less than two RBs once - 2011 with Dee Hart (technically, the 2014 class can be included since Ronnie Clark went to RB out of need). The rest have been two or three guys.

In the 2013 class, Alabama signed the 4, star RBs. At that time, Alabama had Jalston Fowler, Dee Hart, Kenyan Drake, and TJ Yeldon on the roster. Fowler had two years left. Hart had suffered two knee injuries. Drake and Yeldon were still young guys, and Drake wasn't always in CNS's graces his first year, either.

At the time, it made sense to go get 4 RBs. Especially when you consider two guys were seen as possible contributors at other positions. Henry was thought to be a LB playing RB in high school (imagine if he grew or gained more muscle once on campus). The believe also was Kamara could be used at the slot as well as RB.

Last edited:

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
Do you have any idea if Cotton is being looked at a tackle or guard long term?
from what I remember seeing, he's been practicing out at LT, but the way we move players around, it seems like how we see them lineup in media time is pretty useless as an indicator. i.e. when Jackson went down, we moved the 1st LG to RT, then moved the 2nd RG to LG, so two guys lining up at new spots for one injury. We might even see that be the way the starters play out next year with guys moving to new spots like Barrett Jones did.

bama579

Hall of Fame
Jan 15, 2005
The Chukker or Archibalds
Bye weeks(s) . . . When threads about 2016 running backs drift to offensive linemen. :wink:

So, who thinks we'll see some or more of Scarbrough, Harris, or Gore over the next three/four games?

BamaMark.

1st Team
Jun 21, 2012
Yeah, that's why I was wondering. I thought he was projected as a tackle but I haven't seen him mentioned in any of the possible scenarios of DJ is out against LSU. I know he's a true freshman but I believe he has played a tackle position already this year.

BamaMark.

1st Team
Jun 21, 2012
from what I remember seeing, he's been practicing out at LT, but the way we move players around, it seems like how we see them lineup in media time is pretty useless as an indicator. i.e. when Jackson went down, we moved the 1st LG to RT, then moved the 2nd RG to LG, so two guys lining up at new spots for one injury. We might even see that be the way the starters play out next year with guys moving to new spots like Barrett Jones did.
Yeah, that's why I was wondering. I thought he was projected as a tackle but I haven't seen him mentioned in any of the possible scenarios of DJ is out against LSU. I know he's a true freshman but I believe he has played a tackle position already this year.

WylieTexasTider

All-American
Sep 24, 2006
He's a sophomore. He can leave if he desires, but he isn't going to the NFL this year.
Cam is a 'true' sophomore therefore, he is not draft eligible. His class is not 3 years out of HS before the draft. Had he redshirted he would be eligible after 2 year a la Johnny Iddiot at aTm.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.