LSU's CBs Have Been Pretty Suspect So Far This Season

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Turns out a part of the Film Room show is posted on the SEC website. It shows one play where Saban comments timing was off.

Video
That's one comment on one play. I still think that more problems are caused by OL breakdown. I think that Coker is doing a better and better job of getting the timing down - when the pocket is clean...

knowledge

BamaNation Citizen
Sep 6, 2007
Madison
and Jake needs to throw away some balls also.
I agree. I think Coker is coming along nicely. I like it when he makes plays with his feet on a busted play, but without going back and revisiting every play, it seems like he pushes the decision too late sometimes when he could have safely thrown it to the bleachers and gone to the next play. I do remember that costing a meaningless field goal try when he came in for mop up last year and took a sack. Of course, Manziel wouldn't have had the success against us that he did if he had prudently thrown balls away under pressure.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I agree. I think Coker is coming along nicely. I like it when he makes plays with his feet on a busted play, but without going back and revisiting every play, it seems like he pushes the decision too late sometimes when he could have safely thrown it to the bleachers and gone to the next play. I do remember that costing a meaningless field goal try when he came in for mop up last year and took a sack. Of course, Manziel wouldn't have had the success against us that he did if he had prudently thrown balls away under pressure.
I think you've revealed the bigger problem. Why are we throwing on the two? Can we not make two with Henry or a QB sneak by a 6'5" 240 QB? The only answer is the OL...

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)
I was going to mention the same thing. I wish he would learn to do this quickly. Seems like there are many times when Coker has scrambled or rolled out almost to the sideline so there is no doubt he is outside the tackles and would only need a very short throw to get it past the line of scrimmage. Maybe Coker is afraid of a turnover if he lifts the ball to make a throw and then gets hit. Losing yards is better than a turnover but it is frustrating.

knowledge

BamaNation Citizen
Sep 6, 2007
Madison
I think you've revealed the bigger problem. Why are we throwing on the two? Can we not make two with Henry or a QB sneak by a 6'5" 240 QB? The only answer is the OL...
Agreed. It occurs to me that if it were possible for a dline to be be too good and deep to practice against for development of a confident and cohesive oline it could be ours.

Bama1985

1st Team
Jan 18, 2006
Calhoun County
Which honestly makes me nervous about them beating Ole Miss.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I agree--we should be concerned. LSU will be playing Bama and Arkansas back to back before the Ole Miss game. Ole Miss has a bye week before playing LSU in Oxford. I suspect Bama will physically beat up on LSU making them very vulnerable to Ole Miss. This game could be an Ole Miss blow out win over LSU.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
If you look at Defensive Stats for LSU and Alabama, you'll see that Alabama almost comes out on the top in almost all categories. Now, LSU has same issues we have, and that's getting Penalty getting called. Let's take a look at the stats for LSU this season throughout the games this season.

Quick glance on 3rd down conversions- they're not very good at converting 3rd downs. So Bama D has to get them in 3rd and long situations several times. We needs to be careful if they were to go for 1st down on 4th down situations.

Their Time of possession isn't the best. We just need to control the time of possession burn lot of clock... force them to play from behind. Abandon their run game early. We just have to force turnovers and make it easy on Offense. This is not the same LSU team we're used to see. I'm speechless to why we don’t have common opponents yet. If you look at the teams they played, none of them with except for Florida played great D. LSU should've had two loss by now, but I'm very convinced that we can score at least 30 points on them. I think this is coming out party for the offense this weekend.

BamaFlum

Hall of Fame
Dec 11, 2002
S.A., TX, USA
If you look at Defensive Stats for LSU and Alabama, you'll see that Alabama almost comes out on the top in almost all categories. Now, LSU has same issues we have, and that's getting Penalty getting called. Let's take a look at the stats for LSU this season throughout the games this season.

Quick glance on 3rd down conversions- they're not very good at converting 3rd downs. So Bama D has to get them in 3rd and long situations several times. We needs to be careful if they were to go for 1st down on 4th down situations.

Their Time of possession isn't the best. We just need to control the time of possession burn lot of clock... force them to play from behind. Abandon their run game early. We just have to force turnovers and make it easy on Offense. This is not the same LSU team we're used to see. I'm speechless to why we don’t have common opponents yet. If you look at the teams they played, none of them with except for Florida played great D. LSU should've had two loss by now, but I'm very convinced that we can score at least 30 points on them. I think this is coming out party for the offense this weekend.
If it wasn't for that pesky inconsistent line play, I would agree. We just haven't been as dominate upfront as in the past. Hopefully this weekend changes my perception. Our line will look like bulldozers on one play and turnstiles the very next play. They will Jake time enough to fix a sandwich once then Jake might have 2 seconds on the next few pass plays.

Rush

All-American
Jul 5, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Agreed. It occurs to me that if it were possible for a dline to be be too good and deep to practice against for development of a confident and cohesive oline it could be ours.

Interesting point...

Given how thin we've been at RB this year, I thought the opposite when envisioning who we had available to reasonably emulate opposing teams' RB's in practice, but, as you posit, could the inverse problem - given our depth on D up front - be adversely impacting the OL...

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.